2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody familiar with the Texas Tuition Promise Fund? It is a Section 529 prepaid tuition plan. It allows you to lock in the cost of undergraduate college tuition and required fees, protecting you against future tuition inflation.

From what I can tell, it is very similar in nature to the Texas Tomorrow Fund that was closed to enrollment about 5 years ago.

I have Texas Tomorrow Fund accounts for my two oldest kids (15 and 7), but I did not get my youngest (5) enrolled before they closed enrollment for the plan. I'm seriously considering enrolling him (youngest) in this plan (TTPF), but, I thought I would check and see if anybody familiar with it before I did.

Pros? Cons? let me know.

Thanks in advance.
TXPalerider

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
The Texas Tomorrow Fund is coming back again. The 529 Plan will continue as an option. I wish I had gotten the kids in it when they were younger, but opted for a conventional 529 Plan since then. Base on the performance of my 529's, the TTF was a better deal.

No word on the pricing of the new TTF.

·
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rockhound76 said:
The Texas Tomorrow Fund is coming back again. The 529 Plan will continue as an option. I wish I had gotten the kids in it when they were younger, but opted for a conventional 529 Plan since then. Base on the performance of my 529's, the TTF was a better deal.

No word on the pricing of the new TTF.
Actually, according to the Texas Tomorrow Fund website, the Texas Tuition Promise Fund IS the replacement for Texas Tomorrow.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
do something to lock it it, anything, but do something, from current

experience times 2...........

·
8,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CoastalOutfitters said:
do something to lock it it, anything, but do something, from current

experience times 2...........
I'm not sure I follow????

·
reelbusy
874 Posts
If you will do a search for "Texas tomorrow fund" you will find a recent and lengthy thread on this subject. Most all of the comments were very positive. Probably one of the best investments a person will ever make.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
TXPalerider said:
Actually, according to the Texas Tomorrow Fund website, the Texas Tuition Promise Fund IS the replacement for Texas Tomorrow.
I need to dig it up, but my wife came across an article two or three weeks back that said the old "prepaid" "Texas Guaranteed Tuition Fund" (Texas Tomorrow Fund) would be reopened to new registrants in 2009 as a supplement to the Promise Fund (529) called the Texas Tomorrow Fund II. I think it said the pricing schedules (age based) weren't completed yet, and the new plan was approved but not yet implemented. Here is a link to some more info:
http://www.house.state.tx.us/news/release.php?id=1996

The fixed tuition Promise Fund 529, like any other 529, is valid for books, lab fees, tuition, etc and it's fully transferrable within the family (well my regular 529's are...if the kids drop out, daddy goes to law school, then sues them for the wasted parenting)...

.....the Tomorrow Fund II, modified to compensate for the shortfalls of the original fund, is valid only as pre-paid tuition, and creditable to out of state school only at face value. So, you pretty much need to stay in Texas if you want full advantage of the inflation hedge.With the in-state hikes they've put in the last few years, and the ones that lie ahead, it's likely to be a good deal. I understand you can combine the two.

·
Member since 1999
1,137 Posts
Texas Tuition Promise Fund = new plan for prepaid tuition

Texas College Savings Plan = Texas 529 plan

Lonestar 529 Plan = Texas 529 plan

Texas Tomorrow Fund = old plan for prepaid tuition

Click on Cost & Payment Plans to find out prices....several different options for prepaid tuition. You can buy "units" of tuition at 3 different tier levels of schools.

https://www.texastuitionpromisefund.com/OFI529/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts