2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
They had some big fish.. I believe one other group had 16.8 (Kurt) and that was due to one fish not being alive, or they would have won.

Next closest competitor was 14.5lbs

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
I went trout fishing, Michelle and I decided to just go fish and not do any tourneys, since early last week they told us it was full.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have to hand it you guys who fish Galveston area regularly, that is one ROUGH BAY! We fished the tourney and 3 days before it and never caught a legal redfish. We caught trout and flounder, infact I heard and saw more big flounder being caught up there in a few days then I have seen in a year around Port A. We did catch some of the most beautiful redfish I have ever seen though and wish I had a camera with us. they were bronze and blue tailed aith multiple spots, just georgeous fish!

Got to meet a few new 2coolers and hang out some and heck we had a ball and now have learned another new section of the waters on the texas coast!

·
Team Hi-Rev
1,721 Posts
You nailed it br1006. We caught and lost more flounder at the boat than I think I have caught in a year in my local waters. We had some really nice 3-4 lbers. We also caught trout after trout after trout including some 4-5 lbers but just couldn't locate the bronze backs. Looks like local knowledge played a big part this time.

And yeah hats off to you guys that put up with the village idiots on a regular basis. We had SEVERAL shallow water drifts cut off within 50 yards by other boats, some running wide open. Twice we had boats anchor up within 50-75 yards of us directly in our drift line. No other boats around, I guess they just liked our drift line....it got comedic after a while. I'm ready to get back south.

·
Redfish Extraordinaire
2,424 Posts
local boys know where the fat stocky reds are.... Try fishing a tournament out of freeport. It takes over 8.5lbs to place sometimes over 9.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Well, we did discover that bait fish are over rated up there. We just knew if we found bait with all of the fresh water that we'd find fish. We struggled on day 1 and said forget about the bait, it's everywhere, let's find structure. We did that on Friday and found fish and the fish were decent in size that we saw and actually caught a 6½ pounder. The tide was ripping out and we just knew they would be there the next morning with an incoming tide or higher tide than we were fishing at the time. Well, we spent nearly the entire day waiting on those fish and looking for them. They never showed back up. We don't know what happened, but something changed for them. The tide never really started out for us either, so we don't know if that was the big deal or what.

Looks like we couldn't have missed a better opportunity to play catch up in the Team of the Year standings. Oh well, we are out of the race for Team of the Year, but we still have another qualifier and the championship to go. We did have a good time and the facilities were very nice to hold a tournmanet. Too bad you have to deal with the rough water and such long runs to find fish because it is a fantastic venue to hold a tournament.

Good Luck to all and Best Regards,

Capt. Jimmie Dooms

·
Registered
103 Posts
I fish the series as well and had the best trout day in a long time catching 30 or so over 3 lbs, Could not believe we could not find a fish with just 2 spots. I fish there often and was thinking we had a chance to finish pretty high but that was not the case. We cought 2 fish in Port O and finished 54th and no fish in Galv. and finished 55th with alot of others so 1 fish sure would have been nice. Good luck to all and we will see you in Rockport.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts