2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
15,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any leads on Texas pronghorn antelope?
I was hoping to hunt them this season at the end of sept and not break the bank.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Have you ever tried to hunt "racing goats" in Texas?
Nort only is it probably more expensive, but most ranches have waiting lists!
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I don't know what it takes to break the bank but I've been looking into Texas goats for a couple of years. Expect to pay $3000+. The landowners get the tags and sell them for whatever they want. Most of them know we want them. Limited supply and high demand = high price! The thing is that in a good area our goats are as big as anywhere so it makes it hard to says no to the price.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Redfishr said:
Anybody have any leads on Texas pronghorn antelope?
I was hoping to hunt them this season at the end of sept and not break the bank.
Contact Rick McIvor at the 06 ranch in Alpine. They will sell "cull" hunts
that are really pretty reasonable. Their culls are VERY respectable.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Wy

Honestly, you could buy a plane ticket and hunt Wyoming (Gillette area) for less money than it will cost you in Texas and end up shooting a better goat. It's a supply and demand thing here, so the prices are high. In Wyoming, you can most often hire a local guide who knows the ranchers, and they will put you on some good Pronghorns for a very reasonable price. From looking at webpages, 3 day hunts are running around $1300 on up. Here's a link to some guides contact info:

http://www.hotspotguides.com/hguides_WY.asp

·
AKA MUNGAM WORC
753 Posts
Speed Deamons?

RED,I hunted the speed goats outta Clayton NM @750 ea,self guided of course.There is a 2 day season'but IF? you can shoot,you will GET YOUR GOAT!

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
crowmagnum said:
RED,I hunted the speed goats outta Clayton NM @750 ea,self guided of course.There is a 2 day season'but IF? you can shoot,you will GET YOUR GOAT!
Now you got me interested. I would like to get some info on this. We go through Clayton on our mule deer hunts, always see some nice goats in this area.

·
AKA MUNGAM WORC
753 Posts
Its in THE PADS,MAAAAANNN!

reef_runner said:
Now you got me interested. I would like to get some info on this. We go through Clayton on our mule deer hunts, always see some nice goats in this area.
REEF RUNER,Sorry for the LATE reply but I 've been on a job in w/Texas and No Pooter,DAYYYYYEEEM,IT!I don't wana give away alllll my secrets online ,so pm me and I may dilvulge a few!I WILL tell ya that, "any Ignor/amouse can get their goat but only a few get a good un!"The secret is in the Knee pads.OOOOPS That used to be the best kept secret,Its time for dinner,LATER.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I use my old roller blade knee pads for the stalking and they work great and keep out those dang little cactus thorns!!
crowmagnum said:
REEF RUNER,Sorry for the LATE reply but I 've been on a job in w/Texas and No Pooter,DAYYYYYEEEM,IT!I don't wana give away alllll my secrets online ,so pm me and I may dilvulge a few!I WILL tell ya that, "any Ignor/amouse can get their goat but only a few get a good un!"The secret is in the Knee pads.OOOOPS That used to be the best kept secret,Its time for dinner,LATER.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
those thorns can be painful, the year I got my mule deer I fell into a choya (sp?) and was pulling those little things out for months after the hunt.

·
AKA MUNGAM WORC
753 Posts
New Mexico pronghorns.

reef_runner said:
Reef,The ranch I hunted on was 50K acres,and flat as a table top, mostly.The season only last 2 days but you have to buy your permit and then hotfoot it to Ratone Pass NMF&G to buy a liscense,I think the cost was around $150.00,so even though the hunt is only 2 days you need to get there 2-3 days ahead to scout and get permits and such.
I took my girlfriend w/ me and we spent one full day just scouting and glassing.I found my goat,a 15'' w/wide spread and a few stickers while scouting and popped him,(After a 1/2 mile belly crawl) late the first day of the [email protected] 400+ yds.I was using a T/C Encore 22-250 loaded w/65gr Noslers.I know its light for pronghorns but I thought I could shoot better, at longer distance w/it, instead of 300 win mag.It did however run over 6-800yds and finally went down.Man those goats can cover some ground in a HURRY!,so I wouldn't reccomend a 22-250.
We spent the rest of the day scouting for Sharons goat.
There were 11 other hunters in camp, 5 were from OK CITY,and 5 were from Arkansas,1 was a state hunter that had drawn a permit through the lotto system.The OKIES were regular "KNOW IT ALLS"The leader of the group tried to be the Guide for every one.The guys from Arkansas were a good bunch and fun to hang with.
I mentioned the other hunters because after the first morning we met the rancher at the house we tell him we saw just a few goats and wanted to change pastures.As we were talking His son drives up and tells me that a big goat has been in the front yard all morning(Their front yard was 500 acres)and we should make a stalk.About the time I spot the buck,I see the ring leader of the OKIE"S barrelling down the road on his 4 wheeler.He even sprayed us w/ dirt on his way by and went on to chase the FRONT YARD BUCK all the way to the BACK YARD and beyond.Well, he got what he had coming. The next day,he flipped his 4 wheeler in a ditch and broke his back in several places.Had to be careflighted off the ranch.
Back to hunting Sharons Pronghorn.It was a non-eventfull morning hunt but all the other hunters had tagged out or was on the way to the hospital,so we had the entire ranch to ourselves.I set Sharon by the only big tree in the area.Just after I left her I come across a herd w/ a good buck and several does.It was getting late so I drove way around and slow bumped them in her direction.It worked and she dropped the herd buck @ 70 yrds with her 7mm08.w/140 gr silvertips.It was a great hunt and one Sharon will never quit talking about!

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Crow, sounds like a good hunt. I would rather be my own guide for something like this. If I get to go I will be using my 7 ultra mag and feel pretty confident out to 450 yards. That 450 may increase since I have since found a better load now. The New Mexico Pronghorn season falls on my long break, so I hope this works out. Thanks for the info, I owe you one. If you are ever down this way give me a heads up and I can probably get on a redfish or two.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts