2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hosted a party of 4 on Sabine yesterday out of my boat. We had kept full limits of both trout & redfish as everyone was stocking up for the holidays. We were working our way back to the ramp...catch & release only. On a drift, the GW sort of snuck up behind us and checked us out. He first asked to see the fire extinguisher & life jackets (which I had, but was warned that my PFD's should be more readily accessible). They then checked everyone's license (which everyone has that is on my boat). One of the officers boarded my boat & counted every fish in both boxes (all legal). We were not drinking excessively (veteran drinkers, acting cool). The encounter was pleasant & neither officer had an attitude with us. Seeing that we were legal & acting responsible, the encounter really loosened up & these guys were laughing & chatting with us. They even gave us a quick fishing report & a few suggestions. I wanted to start this thread to thank the Texas Game Wardens for keeping things safe for my friends & I, & helping to protect resources for future enjoyment...:smile:...:texasflag

·
More There than here..Gone fishin....
3,926 Posts
There just folks doin a Job..
I try and be pleasant to all of them, Most Ive met are great folks..
they just have a job to do..

·
Bull Frog hunter
9,276 Posts
See if you are nice sometimes it get returned. Thanks for the positive GW report! Not too often you get one.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I have always had positive encounters with Game Wardens, even when I recieved a ticket. They all were very proffessional and courtious.
Pat

·
Living life in the 77H20 zip code
848 Posts
The only time I was a little disgruntled with the Wardens was when they stopped us a few years back on our way to weigh in a tournament. The twenty minutes it took to check us out made us late to the weigh in. After weighing our fish, we found that we would have taken two categories and won about $1200.00. Really sucked cause we ran pretty hard for 40 miles and got the tar beat out of us only to miss the weigh in. :headknocksad4sm:frown:

Other than that, have always had pleasant experiences with them. :texasflag

·
Custom User Title space for rent
5,212 Posts
I always insist the game warden check my pulse to make sure my lifetime fishing license is still valid. No pulse = ticket for no valid fishing license.

·
5 trout, 5 reds, 5 flounder
169 Posts
I will not join the GW "lovefest" until I see them walking the Surfside Jetties a few summer weakends.

When I see that they will be my heroes.:cheers:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Flip Side

The only time I was a little disgruntled with the Wardens was when they stopped us a few years back on our way to weigh in a tournament. The twenty minutes it took to check us out made us late to the weigh in. After weighing our fish, we found that we would have taken two categories and won about $1200.00. Really sucked cause we ran pretty hard for 40 miles and got the tar beat out of us only to miss the weigh in. :headknocksad4sm:frown:

Other than that, have always had pleasant experiences with them. :texasflag
We were in a rinky dink tournament last July - had our fish and were blowing down the ICW (20 miles) to get to the truck and drive another 30 miles to weigh-in. Of course we got stopped for a check but it went very well - had throw cushion and jackets handy, all had licenses and when it came to checking fish, I told him exactly how many of each we had and that we were in a tourney, running hard to make weigh-in. He said "looks close enought for me, take off and be careful". That was nice of him to take my word and we were legal all the way. Made weigh-in with 15 minutes to spare and ran the table in the tourney.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I have hunted and fished in many states, from North Carolina to California and from Alaska to Florida, and have seldom had an issue with a GW from any of them (never have recieved a violation). But I have to say that the GWs from Texas, my birth state of Kansas, and Alaska are probably the best I have encountered. Of course, my dealings with some of the others (Arkansas, Florida, N.C., S.D., to name a few) haven't been awful either and I've had far fewer encounters with them. On the other hand I hate to see a USFWS C.O. coming. It's always a hassle, most of them are rude and accusatory, and in a couple of instances they've openly displayed their displeasure that they couldn't find anything to ticket me for.

I also would like to see them have more of a presence on the jetties and piers, but suspect that's more direction from above than laziness on the part of the individual warden.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Met one of Aransas Pass finest this weekend. I was hunting in a marsh blind and he had been glassing us for a little bit over a hour. Pulls up in his airboat and starts talking checking the birds/guns/ etc...told him that we had been waiting for Pintails to roll in....

"by all means just because I am here does not mean you can't load up and take one!"

He stayed with us for about 40mins talking to us and giving us the report from around the different folks he stopped to check. Don't remember his name, but Thank You for doing your job.

Tight Lines & Gig'Em
Cm3

·
non-politically correct
7,304 Posts
As mentioned before, I am all about seeing GW's regularly on the Surfside Jetties as there are folks keeping everything that is landed there and yes I am a witness to these catches. Never had a problem with GW at any time and they are simply doing a tough job as there are not enough to go around in this big ole' state.

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

I initiated this thread in appreciation of what the Texas Game Wardens do for us day after day. If you want to complain about how they do their job, please start another thread...Don't hijack this one...:texasflag

·
I'm a millionaire in a .02 opinion world
2,569 Posts
simply said: good post. Cabbage is served. B&P

·
Practice safe fishing; use a Corky
1,697 Posts
Many years ago when I was a young man, I was loadng my boat on the trailer on Peyton Creek from opening day of teal season. The warden, who I knew, came walking down to the ramp and told me to empty all my decoy bags and open the battery box. Since I knew him, and he knew I didn't cheat, I was irritated. He told me to go look in his truck. I did and the whole front seat wis full of shotguns. He told me most of them did not normally cheat either. I understood and went on my way.

I like wardens and the job they do.

·
Wish the hull of my boat was wet!
10,861 Posts
When I duck hunted alot at ANWR I got to know the USFWS warden. I even did volinteer work on the refuge. He knew I was leagel but always stopped me and checked. He told me he knew I was ok but to be fair to the other hunters he had to check me. He was a heck of a nice guy.

·
Paddle solo, sleep tandem
3,601 Posts
I have hunted and fished in many states, from North Carolina to California and from Alaska to Florida, and have seldom had an issue with a GW from any of them (never have recieved a violation). But I have to say that the GWs from Texas, my birth state of Kansas, and Alaska are probably the best I have encountered. Of course, my dealings with some of the others (Arkansas, Florida, N.C., S.D., to name a few) haven't been awful either and I've had far fewer encounters with them. On the other hand I hate to see a USFWS C.O. coming. It's always a hassle, most of them are rude and accusatory, and in a couple of instances they've openly displayed their displeasure that they couldn't find anything to ticket me for.

I also would like to see them have more of a presence on the jetties and piers, but suspect that's more direction from above than laziness on the part of the individual warden.
I tend to agree with you...I'm not sure of the validity of this, but seems like they don't run the jetties bc most of the people just wont pay the tickets, whether it be they cannot afford to pay them, or they are illegals. Same for SLP, any given day I've been down there, I see people, illegal or not, keeping dink trout, reds, flounder, more than one shark etc...call operation game thief and nothing happens. BUT, we come flying in on a nice offshore boat, and they are waiting for us inside the cut to the ICW...its all about where the money is. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I tend to agree with you...I'm not sure of the validity of this, but seems like they don't run the jetties bc most of the people just wont pay the tickets, whether it be they cannot afford to pay them, or they are illegals. Same for SLP, any given day I've been down there, I see people, illegal or not, keeping dink trout, reds, flounder, more than one shark etc...call operation game thief and nothing happens. BUT, we come flying in on a nice offshore boat, and they are waiting for us inside the cut to the ICW...its all about where the money is. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.
I feel they do all they can do with the resourses they have. People who come 'flying in' on nice offshore boats play by the same rules everyone else does. I've found that most people who have a problem with GW's are usually doing something they are not supposed to. I was checked the other day & I have a nice boat. People in john boats fishing around us were also being checked. They cannot be everywhere all the time. Again...this thread was started in appreciation of our Texas Game Wardens. If you feel privledged & should not have to get checked because of where you fish or how nice your boat is, you should start your own 'Whining about the Game Warden' thread & stop whining on this one.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts