2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Baitboy
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the levy road at sunup this a.m., 3 telephone poles from the flood gate... water in great shape early, light breeze and fish rolling on top of the water, armed with live shrimp, reel respooled, and a poppin cork stated my wade. First fish hit and "POW" break off!! *** this is new line, must have raked an oyster shell, retie and recast, 2nd fish hits, same result... broken line, bet I unspooled 25-30 yards of line before I found line that wouldn't pop when you flexed it (Academy spencer and beltway 8 BTW), retied and with some hope that the line was good started fishing. Had my shock leader about 24" from popping cork and I tell ya, solid keepers, I killed em, got my limit and was out of the water by 9:00... BTW got no hard heads or other trash fish today, did hook a 18" rat red and watched a couple of "Flippers" swim close by...

·
Registered
372 Posts
I fish there a lot but got suspended by the wife for wade fishing. I always do good there with solid keepers. I may have to slip out sat or sun for some wading. I am surprised you are doing so well in the morning with little to no tide movement. Was the tide moving?? I have had my best luck there when I can barely stand up.

·
Registered
802 Posts
thanks for the report. may be a dumb question but were the skeeters bad in the area. last time i went i had off on and they still got me pretty bad.

·
Baitboy
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I count back 3-4 telephone poles and climb down the rocks, I'm 5"11 so I don't go over nipple deep, if you throwing live shrimp under a popping cork, don't put ant split shot on your leader, let the shrimp move free...

·
Registered
54 Posts
...just a word of caution

make sure to use a long stringer and keep your fish away from you when wading especially near the floodgate and around dollar point...a buddy lost his stringers and i even had one trout "quick-released" while still attached to a topwater earlier this week...and it wasn't flipper ;-)

stay safe & tight lines,
finatical

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
texas city

Hey dixie rider congratulations on your catch.I used to wade that area a lot with good luck. Be careful of the sting rays they are thick right now.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Cut out the hijacks please guys. This is a fishing report not a conservation thread.

Edit: the above message is in connection with some deleted posts. Post on!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts