2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Captain Kyle said:
Before Ike it must have been 5 mill.
Funny, but have you seen the pics ?

Looks like a supply line road after a squadron of F 16's got done with it. I always give the city govt a little bit of a break on the paving at the dike. It aint neccesarily what you'd call a cash cow from a revenue generator perspective.

In actuality the dike is a glorified jetty. No more, no less

·
Banned
688 Posts
Where do i find the pictures? Its so sad that TC bait camp is gone it was always my favorite since ive been fishing the bay. sad4sm

Hope they rebuild :work:

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
I'd like to see the pics myself. I sail my Hobie down there frequently. We only need a small piece of beach to launch from (not being selfish, just wondering). Are they restricting access? Is the road navigable? for that matter, is there a freaking road?

I'm going to make light of a bad situation.. Carlin once said (not exact words, but you get the drift)
you can make fun of everything, I take that to mean, that we can try to ease our pain by finding humor and a bright side.

here goes.

I'm sure the Texas City **** Yacht Club is totally devastated..?? Is there a proxy site in the works?

a

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lordbater said:
I'd like to see the pics myself. I sail my Hobie down there frequently. We only need a small piece of beach to launch from (not being selfish, just wondering). Are they restricting access? Is the road navigable? for that matter, is there a freaking road?
the dike is closed indefinately. there is no access allowed to the dike for the general public until repairs are made.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Skyline drive was closed when I checked, as well. I wanted to drive out to look at our lot in Grand Cay Harbour.

Regarding the TCDYC (the dike "yacht club"), their server went down, but here is a link to their google groups page. You can find out what they plan on this list:
http://groups.google.com/group/TCDYC

I hope they get it back together and find a good place in the area to sail. The dike was one of my first "sailing venues" when I moved to Houston from New Orleans nearly 20yrs. ago. I still think it is worth repairing for public use, but as a fee admission county or city park. Then at least, they can control the riff-raff that took over out there.

I'm now off the cats and sailing a Catalina 22 (the wife no longer enjoys a wet butt). I was hoping to get my kids hooked on catamaran sailing and get us all out on the dike. I hope that will still happen. Heck, that's how I got back to scuba diving: I got the 14yr. old hooked on it.

·
Life is tough, tougher if you are stupid
3,507 Posts
That is funny!

Captain Kyle said:
Before Ike it must have been 5 mill.
On a lighter note, according to the powers that be in TC, the TCD is closed indefinately. That place was completely devistated. Ike may well have been the storm that starts a fee for entrance onto the TCD and Skyline Drive, at least I hope it works out that way. I am all for paying a daily, monthly or even a yearly sticker fee for access to a place I know is safer that previous years. With that being said, TC officials need to get it right and they need to not let politics get in the way of what could turn out to be somewhat of a revenue maker for the city. A new road (wider, one middle turn lane), more trash receptacles and a better police presence/enforcement would go along way in a making the TCD a safer place to camp. As a nonTC resident I know I won't have any say into what I think TC elected officials should do, I will just hope/pray they don't mess it up. I would probably be willing to pay as much as $50 per year for access if they do it right. That's like having a TP&W state parks pass. Come to think of it, why not let TP&W take it over as a state park? That way my pass is good there too! Anyway, just my .02 and I am sure others might have some very good suggestions for improving an area that really needs it. We will see!

·
Banned
688 Posts
I don't know what to say about that curls picture. Maybe the dike will be nicer in the coming months or years.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Turning the dike into a state park would be the best thing that could possibly happen to it. I think it would make an awsome park too. At least they could control the vandals then.

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
the cat sailers constitute the Texas City Dike Yacht Club

if I'm the only one down there then the clubhouse is the tailgate of my truck where the cooler is, or under my umbrella.
sad to see it in that shape. I'm all for charging a fee, however, I don't think I agree with the state park idea, last thing I knew about SP's they were alcohol free zones, and when it comes to my cat, it runs on beer, da mn near 20 miles/gallon!!
a

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
lordbater said:
I'm all for charging a fee, however, I don't think I agree with the state park idea, last thing I knew about SP's they were alcohol free zones, and when it comes to my cat, it runs on beer, da mn near 20 miles/gallon!!
a
I'm alcohol free so I don't often think about that angle. If it would keep the drunks off the beach and the road to it, I could live with it..

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
Yeah, I understand a lot of people are, and more power to them. There are too many idiots who cannot enjoy a beverage and operate a boat (power or otherwise), but in my opinion, we have too many laws as it is. I'd like the option if possible.
Not to hijack the thread. but as alcohol relates to state parks, is it not permitted on the premises, or just not an open container? If it were no open container, then you could bring beer into the state park, then open it on the boat.
just typing my thoughts here...

Does anyone have a link handy to some pics of what's left of the dike other than Curls?

Andrew

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
there is virtually no chance that the dike will be turned over to the state for use as a park. first and foremost, the dike is functional, not recreational. it was built initially for the purpose of protecting the texas city ship channel from silting in. the fact that we get to recreate on it is just a bonus.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
I drink plenty of Coors NA.. (-:}

I still like the park idea. Even if it's a city park, but one with a gate and an entrance/use fee.. Fees could support some improvements. I used to like to go down there years ago but have only been there 3 times in the last 10 years just to launch a boat. I wonder how many trailer axles have been broken on the dike road?

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
mastercylinder said:
there is virtually no chance that the dike will be turned over to the state for use as a park. first and foremost, the dike is functional, not recreational. it was built initially for the purpose of protecting the texas city ship channel from silting in. the fact that we get to recreate on it is just a bonus.
That was my next question, is it still functioning as it's primary purpose. So the granite rocks are mostly?, completely? intact?

Andrew

1 - 20 of 29 Posts