2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
SIMPLE MAN
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive heard rumors last summer that it was going to be torn down this winter 80ft below the surface and the legs left. Is there any truth to any of this? Thanks

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Don't know about them leaving anything or "reefing" it, bur they are definitly not keeping up with the rig. We fished it a couple months ago and we asked one of the hands about the future of the rig and he told us it would be gone within the year. Hate to see it go, lots of great memories have been made around that rig!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
If they do cut it off and leave structure below the surace it will continue to produce. At least it's possible to leave some structure on these deeper water rigs. They have been cutting down a bunch of rigs off Sabine Pass lately. Our water is to shallow so they bring in crews to clean everything up after they cut it off. They don't leave anything on the bottom, zip, nada, big blank spot in the water. It's really disturbing to see how much structure we are losing. How we can do something to stop the trend.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
since its in federal waters, thats a whole other group of players to ask to leave it. They are gonna be worried about liability. My guess is that they will sweep it clean.

But better yet, drag all those shallow water cutoffs out there and add to the site.....

·
Registered
885 Posts
Maybe they will dynamite it and kill all the sharks and cudas along with it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have heard so many stories from people that have fished that rig. At least I got to fish it once. I pulled one of my first wahoo off that rig, and we lost a huge bull dolphin off it too, saw my first blue and we lost it twice on the way to that rig, we lost alot that trip, but thats what feeds the addiction.

·
There's no time like overtime!
8,926 Posts
Anybody hear anything about this recently? I heard some folks discussing it in the control room here at work today. They seem to think it will be soon...

·
Grady White Marlin
1,854 Posts
They cutoff one of the N. Baker rigs and Big Southern and left for some for structure. They are almost impossable to fish for all the tackle you lose. Maybe some of the surface fish will be there but deep drop will very hard to do.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
nice catch

very nice catch Jeff. we got a nice limit of snapper last saturday 4 over 20 biggest 26lbs. 35 miles out. your old boat is running good but have spent alot of money on it. around $2400.00 thanks Captain Joe Gilleland REEL THING CHARTERS

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Hey Joe, Thanks. 2400.00 thats it??? I've spent more than that on fuel in the last 2 weeks. **** if you want to sell it for what you have in it let me know..
I put over 25000.00 yes thats correct twenty-five thousand dollars. In my boat after the hull cracking incident. And that was just to get it back like it was.
Sounds like you've been really lucky and nothing has broke yet.
Cause it will, or it already has and you just don't know it yet.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
hey Jeff i'm not finished with the boat yet still want to put in new wash down pump, new live well pump redo the trailer and do about $400.00 worth of gelcoat work on it and then i think it will be up to snuff pretty much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I saw 2 rigs (one is on the left and the other is on the right, they are around 5 mile apart) at Tequila when headed out to Boom Vang. So which one has the Tequila name on it? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
East Cerveza was on your left going out west Cerveza was on your right.
Tequila is about 14.5 miles East of west Cerveza at a heading of around 276 deg.
Joe, that 27 Contender is a sweet little boat. It just kills me that the previous owner let her go to hell like that.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
the guy didn't know much about boats. he thought as long as you ran it every month you didn't need stabil in the gas. he didn't know the gas would go bad and seperate

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
that guy didn't know much about boats . he thought if you ran it every month it would be ok. he didn't know to put stabil in the gas

1 - 20 of 32 Posts