2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the invite Glen it was fun. Ray and Bev rounded out the crew. We headed towards Tequila with a couple of quick stops for bait and a few snapper. The last stop we stopped before Tequila was loaded with amberjacks, it was hard getting a bait past them. We put our four in the box and released a few others. Ray also caught a ling at this stop. When we got to Tequila we trolled lures for a while with only a few barracuda to show for it. We then tried trolling some bluerunners, which resulted in more barracuda. The strange thing was, they would not leave us alone even when we were a couple hundred yards off the rig.

We decided to tie up and try for some grouper, but the current was so strong, even two pounds of lead was out at nearly a 45 degree angle. Live baits up in the water column resulted in sharks, so we prepared for the tuna bite. Glen was the first with a tuna on, it was a nice sized blackfin, but only got a head. We were a little worried it would be that way all night but it was the only one that got hit by a shark. The tuna bite was really slow, and all the blue runner did not help things. It seemed every other drop resulted in a dang blue runner. On one drop I decided to try a little deeper and that resulted in a good fish. It fought deep and ran away from the rig so we were thinking it was going to be a good tuna. I had caught a big blackfin a little earlier and this was much bigger. It turned out to be one of tequila's big old AJ's. The tally for the night was 8 blackfin, we put 7 of the tuna in the boat and one fell off as it was being lifted in, one vermilion snapper and one AJ. As I said the bite was slow and half of those tuna came in the last 45 minutes before sun-up.

We made good time on the way in despite the rough seas thanks to the contender's ride. A few quick stops resulted in a couple more snapper and a king. In all it was a good trip with good company even though the tuna fishing was a little slow. Thanks again Glen. Ray should be adding pics soon, but I don't think we got a pic of the big tuna.

Mark

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
i assume the seas were a little rougher than predicted and you couldn't get deep for the yellowfin. still beats a day at work. thanks for the report....rick

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rough seas reduced the mileage, and we were going to be tight on fuel if we tried to make boomvang. The blackfin were being picky but we did not hit them as hard as we could have.

Mark

·
Imagery by RH Keeling
1,445 Posts
Thanks for the invite Capt. Cook. Enjoyed the fishing trip and the great company. Makes every little ache and pain in my ole' body worth it. Mark pretty much covered the fishing report so I'll just add a few photos.

1 - Mark with his first AJ.

2 - Bev with a nice Red Snapper.

3 - Glen working over the early morning BF Tuna bite.

4 - One of Mark's BF Tunas. You're right Mark, I didn't get a photo of your biggest tuna.

5 - Just one of the many amazing sites you get to see when camping out on the "Big Pond".

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We were using 6oz and 8oz diamond jigs, as well as some other jigs, but the diamonds work as well if not better than anything else. I would suggest having several of each size, because you will likely loose some through the night. The blue runners were thick and were nailing the 6 oz so I stepped up to an 8 oz jig. The blue runners did not hit the 8 oz as bad and most of the tuna came on the 8 oz size. I would have tried a 10 oz but did not have any.

Mark

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
How do you rig the diamond jigs? 18" length of heavy mono, say 60# with a snap on the business end and a barrell swivel on the end to the reel?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts