2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I hope somebody can help with this. I can usually solve computer problems on my own but this one has me stumped.

Recently this started happening.

I would notice that IE will start slowing way down. But I also have mozilla installed, so I checked it and it was blazing along. So I start troubleshooting trying to find out what’s wrong with IE.

What I found was that the "Temporary Internet File Folder" located at C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5.

Had been moved to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5.

And that the amount of disk space that "Temporary Internet File Folder" can use had been set to 0MB.

If I attempt to change the amount of disk space that the "Temporary Internet File Folder" can use. It will generate the following error. Please pick a value between 1 and 0 for how much disk space temporary internet files may use.

Also it will not allow me to delete the files located in the Temp directory. It gives me an error stating that I cannot delete the "index.dat" file.

Now I did find that I could go into safe mode and delete those files. And some times this solves the problem but sometimes the files would reappear as soon as I rebooted the machine.

This happened three times the weekend before last. But has been working fine until last night. When it happened again.

The only reference I have been able to find is this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/servicedesks/bin/kbsearch.asp?Article=301897 But you will notice that it deals with Windows 95 & 98. But I have Win2000.

I have Adaware, Spybot and Mcafee Ver.6 all with the latest updates. I am behind a Firewall router and also run Kerio personal firewall. I have also done a scan with Trends online virus scanner. Everything comes up clean.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
Here is what I do : Go to tools internet opinions advanced and check the box under security to delete tempory internet files when IE closes

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
Bobby is correct

and the index.dat file is needed so to be safe you can not delete it.
There are some good free programs to use to help clean out some of the junk that gets left behind, like files no longer needed after you install some software. Try this one it is very fast and I have not had any problems with it.
http://ccleaner.jump.to/
It is very small. You could always do it manually, but hey, it works and is fast and easy.
Oh yea, forgot to mention it free.

·
Banned
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand what yall are saying but thas not the issue. As I said it is moving the cache to a new location and locking it to 0MB. I am trying to figure out why and how to stop it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts