2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I will be accepting a job in Corpus Christi and moving there in then next couple of weeks. However, I know very little about the city in terms of best places(or areas) to live, what to look out for, and any other info that is pertinent to living down there. I am looking to lease for the first 6-12 months.

Any information is appreciated!

·
Maker of laser engraved switch panels
3,766 Posts
Pros: Good fishing, boating, and lots of wind if you like sailing. Lots of good people.

Cons: Corpus Chrsiti, The pathetic city government, Nueces county (translates to nuts and is true to it's name), HIGH taxes, high humidity, bad roads, bad schools, No park system worth mentioning, you have to pay to park on the beach, if you want something special plan on traveling to get it or ship it in, lots of bad people. Did I mention high taxes?

Lots of nice places to live, but as a whole, I don't think Corpus offers much in comparison to many places. I've been here too long and think it may be time for a change.

It is not all bad, but Corpus is very limited and often backwards. I've never seen a city council drive away so many big businesses as ours has, seriously, it is crazy.

·
Registered
453 Posts
All the cons mentioned are true, but I think they are overemphasized compared to the pros. As far as selecting the best area to live, need some more details. What part of town will you be working in, and do you have kids if so what ages? I can help you more once i know those things.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will be working downtown. No children so schools are not an issue at the moment or for the next few years. From what I've researched it looks like the better areas to look are Portland or down towards North Padre or Flour Bluff?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I will be working downtown. No children so schools are not an issue at the moment or for the next few years. From what I've researched it looks like the better areas to look are Portland or down towards North Padre or Flour Bluff?
Rockport is only a stones throw away, maybe at the most 45 minutes , think about it.

·
Banned
2,863 Posts
I've heard lots of good things about Portland. We like Ingleside on the Bay, but not sure we'll ever buy anywhere here. It's a small fishing community.

I don't know a lot about Corpus personally, but watch the news about every morning. I just told the wife a few days ago, there is no way I would live there. Simply too much crime.

If you don't mind driving, Rockport is a nice place. You can hit the 35 bypass and buzz right in to Corpus. Aransas Pass ain't the fanciest place in the world, but there are some nice areas. We love it here. Of course, we're in an RV park.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Portland,
Gas is cheaper than the Bluff.

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
Buy a bunch of locks, home alarm, car alarm, dog alarm, etc...

·
Life's a garden, gotta dig it.
33 Posts
May want to take a look at the Calallen area. Its on the north side of corpus and only 15-20 minutes from downtown. Very clean area, at least that's what ive taken away from the time ive spent there. Still not far from the boat ramp at all.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I'm at a loss for words with all the comments about crime in Corpus. I look at this site and see f-250 stolen all the time, home invasions, theft, etc all from the north and south sides of Houston. Corpus has its share like any other city, but the violent crime is no where what I see on Channel 26 out of Houston.

If you're working in Downtown Corpus, then Portland would be a good choice. You have a bout a 10 minute drive and it is not like any major road in Houston. You get to drive the speed limit. Plenty of rentals there, a small town business district, close to some good fishing in Nueces bay, and yet still big enough the everyone won't know your business.

·
Banned
12,705 Posts
check out Tyler's board at corpusfishing.com lots of good folks that can help

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm at a loss for words with all the comments about crime in Corpus. I look at this site and see f-250 stolen all the time, home invasions, theft, etc all from the north and south sides of Houston. Corpus has its share like any other city, but the violent crime is no where what I see on Channel 26 out of Houston.

If you're working in Downtown Corpus, then Portland would be a good choice. You have a bout a 10 minute drive and it is not like any major road in Houston. You get to drive the speed limit. Plenty of rentals there, a small town business district, close to some good fishing in Nueces bay, and yet still big enough the everyone won't know your business.
Couldn't agree more. Portland is a nice place and is literally a 10m drive to downtown.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
The city offers widespread and extensive govt housing for the poor people. So we get more of our share of poor families here from all the little sheet towns that surround us. With this free housing and other handouts, we get a lot of the criminal element that would normally go else where. For some reason here you can walk into an nice establishment or nice part of town and still have criminals all around you. Good luck.

·
El Viejo
23,417 Posts
Been quite a few years since I sold my businesses down there, but still remember some good times there. It just never had the 'business drive' that Houston has..but still a nice place.. Where to live ??.. A nice home on Shoreline Drive would be nice...but probably gotta have about seven digits to buy there now.. Lotsa nice newer neighborhoods I'm sure.. Where not to go ?.. Out Leopard Street after dark...LOL... Might not hurt to pick up a little 'espanol' if you're gonna live there.. It's about 50/50 I guess as far as hispanic folks go... T-Heads, Boats, Waterfront..etc..wuz especially nice... and all the folks I knew down there were very friendly.. Not familiar with current eateries.....Lotsa members post from CC.. Did have a nice Country Club..if ya can get the firm to spring for a membership...

I think you will like it...if you like kind of a laid-back place...

...danged shame you weren't in the market a couple of years ago. Chief Charlie lived on Lake Corpus Christi...not too sure how far it was from the city..but looked beautiful.. Might contact his realtor in the attached link..He sold the house for Charlie & Robs in about a week...and might have something nice a little outside of town...

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=123810

1 - 20 of 55 Posts