2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I'm going to be in Rockport opening weekend. I have never hunted down there. Anyone have any public areas they might be willing to share? It'll be myself and another friend going in by kayaks. Luckily I do get to do some scouting on Friday. And I get to play guide on this trip. My buddy is a **** fine paddler, and wants to see what duck hunting is all about. Any info would be appreciated. If I can't find anything closer to Rockport we may end up in AP. I've aleast hunted there before.

Thanks, Aquafowler

·
Registered
157 Posts
never seen many bluewingers in Rockport in September. THey are on the upper coast in the rice

·
Certified Animal Chiropractor
7,652 Posts
Look over towards Bayside..Closer to the river.. Remember when your scouting Friday that the water is really up right now due to all the run off and unless we get a hurricane water depth will probally be different in Sept..G luck Walker

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I'm stuck w/ the rockport area. My girfriends cousin is having her birthday party there. I said the only way I'm going is that I get to hunt and do some fishing. She relented. LOL

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I left out some details. I get to scout the friday before opening day. So I might get to find some birds. If I can't find any birds around there we might end up driving to Tivoli and hunting there.

·
Registered
278 Posts
aquafowlr said:
I guess I left out some details. I get to scout the friday before opening day. So I might get to find some birds. If I can't find any birds around there we might end up driving to Tivoli and hunting there.
I have been doing a cast a blast in Rockport for almost 11 years now. We hunt Saturday in Garwood and then go to Rockport to fish. We stopped taking our guns after the second year because the lack of teal to hunt. I am not saying there is no teal there; there just isn't enough to hunt where we go…

if i was to guess i would say go to Tivioli or Bay Side. i have shot alot of teal in Bay Side and it would be perfect with a Yak.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
There are plenty of bluewingers in the vicinity, but they tend to be a week or so later than the upper coast and mostly in the freshwater (private) marshes. They are one of only 2 or 3 ducks without a desalination gland and are not very tolerant of salty water, although there are often a few in teh salt marsh.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts