2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 11 week old German Shorthaired pointer. I have been working on basic obed. such as sit, come, stay, down, leave it, drop it since I got him at 7 weeks. I have been going slow with short, very short, trainging sessions. He is picking up everything very quickly. Everything I do is done using positive reinforcement and treats. Practicing with him daily.

I want to start teaching him to fetch or retrieve. In the beginning he did it kind of naturally. He would bring back his toys when thrown. He lays down and plays with it for a while then gives it up. Lately he has been a little more inconsistent with the bringing it back part.

He is a very mild mannered pup who is fairly laid back for his kind. How can I teach him fetch without teaching negative actions? Is he too young to worry about this now.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
try "Gun Dog" or "Wate Dog" books. Tie a lite line (3/16 inch) rope to his collar. It should be about 15 feet long. Send him to retirve and when he picks up object give command to retrive (fetch or what ever you plan to use but be consistant) and if he does not come then pull him in and praise him when he does it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts