2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want some suggestions on how to neg. prices on a new truck. You hear all these stories about sticker price of $50,000 and I drove out for $35,000. How do people do that? I've bought 3 new vehiciles in my life, andd feel like I've got a couple of good deals, but never anything like that.

I need to buy a new truck as I totaled mine Nov. 1st. So if anybody has a secert they want to share I'm open to hear it.

I'm also stuck between Chevy 2500hd, and the Ford superduty both will be a crewcab 4x4 short bed. Any input?

Looking to purchase before December.

Thanks,
Jesse

·
Lord, beer me strength!
5,039 Posts
1. Find the truck you want.
2. Get a copy of the window sticker.
3. Go to www.kbb.com. Go to the New Car section, find and configure your truck.
4. You should be able to compare the window sticker you got, to the "MSRP" you come up with on www.kbb.com. It should be close.
5. Look at the dealer cost that www.kbb.com gives you.
6. If it's a 2010 truck, offer them dealer invoice plus $500 as a MAX. Maybe start at invoice, or less.
7. If it's a 2009 truck, offer them even less.
8. If they say "no", go somewhere else.
9. No emotion, no passion, no BS. You can do this over the phone, or on the Internet. Piece of cake!
10. Don't forget to look for rebates, and take advantage of them too.

·
11,765 Posts
Shop around and then call Scott Wehman (Wishin4fishin) over at Monument Chevrolet in Pasadena. Scott will do you right if he has what you are looking for on the lot or he can find one.

·
Hunting the Sith...
6,021 Posts
When you are negotiating don't be afraid to get up and walk away. You are kind of in a pinch because it sounds like you need a new ride pretty soon.

I saw my dad years ago give the salesman a number for a car he was buying. Guy said he couldn't do it that low, dad told the guy go to his GSM to see what he said, GSM came back with a number. My old man literally laughed, shook the guys hand, got up and walked out. I was instructed to not say a word as I was really young.

By the time we got home there was a message on the answering machine from the dealership to come and pick up the vehicle.

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
Keep it all business.

In this economy I'd ask for "Employee Pricing".

Or, ask to see the invoice plus any factory incentives. Deduct factory incentives from the invoice and offer them that price.

Example: Sticker= $35,000
Invoice=$26,500
Incentives= (-) $2000

26,500-2,000=24,500

Now you're in the ballpark of where you should be.

I bought a GMC K2500HD crew cab last year. Sticker was $38,000. I asked for employee pricing (what a GM employee pays for a vehicle) and I got it. I drove off the lot (TT&L included) for $29,000, minus my trade. I ended up financing $22,000.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, keep it coming. Anybody have opinions on the two trucks? My last was a 2006 Dodge Quad Cab 2500 Cummins 4x4. I did not use the power of the diesel to tow, but it was nice to have. Is there anyone that has gone from a diesel to a gas and regerted it? I'm just worried I won't like to power of the gas v-8. Plus the resale value of the 3/4 V-8 is horrible.

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,046 Posts
The easiest way I've found to do it is to decide what you want first (model, color, options, etc.), then find every dealer within a 200 mile radius and fax or email the fleet department at each dealership telling them exactly what you are looking for, that you are ready to purchase right now (have your financing worked out in advance) and that you will give your business to whoever gives you the best price. many of the dealers won't contact you, they aren't worth dealing with anyway. I did that when we bought our Volvo in 2000 and the best offer I got was $500 UNDER invoice. I talked with the salesman over the phone and told him to have all the paperwork ready when I got there, it took me 30 minutes from the time I arrived at the dealership until I was driving down the road in the new car.

Since then, we've bought used and paid cash for everything instead of financing new cars. I've found that if you have $100 bills to buy a used car from an individual, you can really get a good deal.

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
Ford's 5.4L V8 is a dog. It won't pull a fat lady away from a buffet. Go for the V10 if you go gas. If you're not towing over 10,000lbs then the 6.0L gas V8 in the GM will do fine. It's rated around 350+ hp.

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
Most dealerships have internet sales dept. I did my last one that way. Let a few know that you're serious and not just kick'n tires, and they'll get w/ it. Handled the final details over the phone, and met the salesman when I walked in w/ the funds.

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
If you are paying cash you got a deal but if you pay it out over 4-5+ years you will not get such a good deal. When you drive off the lot you lose 20-40%. I have been leasing for the past 14 years. I pay half the note that buying does, I turn them in and get another, I dont have to worry about trade in and I can buy them if I want. I bought the first 2 trucks and got a better deal than pay off when I found the same truck on other dealers lots for less and told the dealer. I may buy the Tundra that I have now.

·
Banned
26,286 Posts
Ford's 5.4L V8 is a dog. It won't pull a fat lady away from a buffet. Go for the V10 if you go gas. If you're not towing over 10,000lbs then the 6.0L gas V8 in the GM will do fine. It's rated around 350+ hp.
Good advise from previous posts as to negotiating price. I'd have to disagree with the comment about the 5.4 V8 Ford...My 98 F-150 4X4 5.4L has 180K miles & drags my rig around without even knowing it's there. Plenty of power. The gas mileage is the issue. If I were pulling > 4000 lbs & pulling it often, I might consider sticking with the diesel. The 5.4 will pull it no problem...but at 10 miles per gallon it will get expensive.

·
There's no time like overtime!
8,929 Posts
Good advise from previous posts as to negotiating price. I'd have to disagree with the comment about the 5.4 V8 Ford...My 98 F-150 4X4 5.4L has 180K miles & drags my rig around without even knowing it's there. Plenty of power. The gas mileage is the issue. If I were pulling > 4000 lbs & pulling it often, I might consider sticking with the diesel. The 5.4 will pull it no problem...but at 10 miles per gallon it will get expensive.
My 5.4 gets 16 highway without the boat and 14 with the boat....on 35" tires.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If I get a ford I will not get the 5.4L. I had one in my 03 F-250, is was under powered, and I test drove a 09 F-250 with a 5.4L just to give it another chance. I literally got on the freeway and got right back off. It's just too heavy of a truck for that motor.

·
There's no time like overtime!
8,929 Posts
If I get a ford I will not get the 5.4L. I had one in my 03 F-250, is was under powered, and I test drove a 09 F-250 with a 5.4L just to give it another chance. I literally got on the freeway and got right back off. It's just too heavy of a truck for that motor.
I agree with that... mine is an F-150. Plenty power for mine. F-250 and up, I'd go diesel.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts