2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
those who drive many miles back and forth to work would be screwed even though they broke down and bought an efficient car like the gubbamint has asked everyone to do... due to these efficient cars less gas is purchased thus the declining taxes.. only "real" thing to keep getting what these politicians claim as theirs is to raise the gas tax... tax by mileage is a horrible idea although it would be great for me, personally.

·
Typical Texan
8,414 Posts
I like the idea of changing it to a usage tax. In reality, roads aren't free an they should be taxed evenly for what you use. I pay more for a heavier vehicle for registration to compensate for any added damage other than that, mile for mile all should be equal.

·
Why knot?
1,607 Posts
Stupid idea, but what else would one expect from politicians.

I propose a bill that would make it illegal for the politicians to pass any more laws until they stop the influx of illegal aliens and get rid of the illegals that are already camped out here.

:)

Reactions: boom!

·
Typical Texan
8,414 Posts
When the tax was established the mpg for cars traveling the roads varied by only ~10%. They all got about 9-11 mpg. Fast forward to today, and they are varied by 500% 10-50mpg.

So, it is no longer an equal taxation for the usage of the same resource. Why should one person pay so much more usage tax than any one other person?

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
Stupid idea, but what else would one expect from politicians.

I propose a bill that would make it illegal for the politicians to pass any more laws until they stop the influx of illegal aliens and get rid of the illegals that are already camped out here.

:)
maybe we should just charge illegal aliens twice the amount of tax for everything as citizens have to pay.

·
Typical Texan
8,414 Posts
You also need to consider that in the upcoming years there will be a huge variety of fuels that will be powering vehicles. CNG, electricity, bio fuel, hydrogen fuel cells, gasoline, diesl electric hybrids, gas electric hybrids, and whatever else gets introduced between now and then.

How simple will it be to administer road use taxes on all those differing mediums? If you plug your car in to an electrical socket, how will the charge you for the road use tax vs. what you use for the microwave?

These are the problems that are going to be a reality soon. A usage tax on the miles driven is much less complex and easier to administer than simply increasing the gasoline tax which will only address the usage tax for an increasingly smaller percentage of users over the coming years.

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
taxes on illegals? do they even pay taxes?

would be a great thing tho. some of the taxes would go to hospitals for the ER, etc, etc....
if they buy stuff, yes. everyone who buys stuff pays sales tax.

"that'll be $54 for your gas, sir. do you you have your proof of citizenship? aw, i'm sorry, that'll be $58.50, then."

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
maybe you shoud not thave 10 guys fixing one pothole! since ike my wife now drives over 80 miles to work and back. they need to look at cutting govt waste and not creating more waste!

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
the po folks don't usually have as many cars or drive as far, and use inner city busing ,car pools , etc.

another tax the wealthy , welfare to the poor.

most cities don't have long commutes to work like Dallas, Hou, and SA, we are the exception

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
My '07 CAR costs more to register than my 1/2 ton truck does.

I say the gas tax is fine. The people who are driving heavier, less fuel efficient vehicles pay more for road use (which they ought to) and the people driving more fuel efficient cars pay less tax. My car does less damage than your 3/4 ton truck does, so why should I have to pay the same amount?

When the tax was established the mpg for cars traveling the roads varied by only ~10%. They all got about 9-11 mpg. Fast forward to today, and they are varied by 500% 10-50mpg.

So, it is no longer an equal taxation for the usage of the same resource. Why should one person pay so much more usage tax than any one other person?

·
Winter Hater
9,448 Posts
I say the gas tax is fine. The people who are driving heavier, less fuel efficient vehicles pay more for road use (which they ought to) and the people driving more fuel efficient cars pay less tax. My car does less damage than your 3/4 ton truck does, so why should I have to pay the same amount?
can't argue with the premise. but can you imagine how complicated it could get in determining how much per mile? with so many different cars and trucks on the road, and new ones out all the time? more red tape + bureaucrats to try and administer = wasted money.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts