2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Fishing from a paddle boat...
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tax appraisal protest.

A while back I posted up asking for information about O'conner & Assoc.'s property Tax Protest service. Well the results are in. County wanted to rase my appraisal by $12K, O'Conner got that "Lowered" by $8k - that is I will only have a $5k increase. I got excited until I realized I am still paying more this year than last year. I guess my total bill (tax + lawyers) will still be less than if there was no protest, so I am coming out ahead.

·
From the old school
1,406 Posts
Glad to hear that I did well this year myself. I actually droped it from last year 8k....I actually walked out to the lobby and said I won this round to the security guard. :D
Galveston on the other hand was ......don't even get me started.:hairout:

joker

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Jerry, will you pm thier phone number. I have a bone to pick with Galveston County and I think I'm going to need help. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Jerry, I hate to bust the bubble but you could have done it yourself and saved some money. It takes research and a plan but if you go to the hearing with this information they will lower your taxes. I have protested my taxes every year and have "won" everytime.

I backup my protest with facts, pictures, and current sales prices and I always dress in a suit or ware my sports coat. All the info can be pulled off the HCAD website.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Jerry, I forgot they raised my apprasial 16% this year, at the beggining of the meeting I was asked to place a value on my house, I set it at 161,800, the 2005 apprasial, the 2006 apprasial was 177,500. After it was all said and done they set the value at 162,000.

·
11,766 Posts
Same here. Well except for the suit or coat. Just from doing this the past few years I've come to believe that if you just show up they will automatically lower it and that they are targeting the folks that don't bother to protest. I had $8000 of the $10000 raise knocked off last year.

DannyMac said:
Jerry, I hate to bust the bubble but you could have done it yourself and saved some money. It takes research and a plan but if you go to the hearing with this information they will lower your taxes. I have protested my taxes every year and have "won" everytime.

I backup my protest with facts, pictures, and current sales prices and I always dress in a suit or ware my sports coat. All the info can be pulled off the HCAD website.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Too Tall, my wife made the same comment about people not showing up. She said, "for every person who protests, there are several thousand who don't and they get hit with the increases".

It appears that the more info you have and the better organized you are, the greater the reduction. They are not trying to p$$$ people off!

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
what is funny is they will raise my property value and lower my house value or vice versa each year here in SA but it is still at $160ish after 5 years. If it starts breakin into $180's I will start protesting it but as it goes now it will stay the same for a little while.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
In Galveston County it takes more than just showing up to get a reduction in value.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I am protesting my property tax in Galveston county. So Kenny are you saying I should get help?

·
Stealth Mode
324 Posts
Amen Kenny... Last year, they raised mine 40 something percent and only dropped it a few thousand dollars after I plead what I thought was an open and shut case. LOL. They got that back this year. It wasn`t worth the day off from work....except that I drove around Tiki Island and other places That I`ve never been to afterward.

·
Banned
118 Posts
DannyMac is right. It's not that difficult to present your own protest. I had my day with The Galveston County Appraisal Dist. last Fri. It was a rather pleasant experience as compared to some I've had with other governmental organizations. Maybe I just had an understanding Appraiser, regardless we got the job done and in less than forty minutes. Short story, my increase for 2006 was 32,339. After presenting my figures and pictures, the increase was reduced by 26,339 to a 6,000 increase over 2005 appraised value. I was happy, he was happy and my wife was really happy. Remember, treat everyone with respect and dignity and you will receive the same in return.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Heck, I dressed up like Steven Seagull and put some moves on the lady that listened to my preliminary appeal. I even complimented her stupid pug dogs after I noticed their picture on her desk. LOL

I also requested before hand All information including comps and photos that they intended to use at my hearing. You have that right.

I had pictures of rot and bug damage and plain old. I finally got a reduction for about half what they wanted to raise it. Now the land value was hard to lower, since it was at $7,000. and lots are selling for $35,000. +

·
Registered
759 Posts
I just got back this afternoon from my protest in galveston, they wanted to increase my taxes by about 38k, I got them to reduce it by about 10k. 28k increase in a year isnt as bad as it sounds considering I have a "real appraisal" for 20K more than what they initially wanted to appraise it at. Im the end I was happy, they were happy, win win.... for what its worth they guy was very professional and I was the same. although the coffe spill from the morning on his desk/business cards was rather ammusing. It actually kinda felt like I was sitting in an old used car dealers office LOL.....

·
Fishing from a paddle boat...
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I followed Clout for a while, and looked into their method, but when houses on your street are selling (or at least listing) for 10%-20% more than you house is listed at, the clout method dosen't get you very far.

My house has the lowest appriasel on the street, and I plan on keeping it this way... LOL

Jerry

·
Always imitated... never duplicated.
4,848 Posts
Mines Today

Mine is today at 1:45.... I will give ya'll a report as soon as I get the outcome... I am loaded (AT LEAST I THINK) for BEAR!!!

Jode

1 - 20 of 22 Posts