2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tarpon have shown up just off the coast of Galveston. I went out with my neighbor for a few hours after work and fished a huge school of shad about 1.5 miles off the beach. My neighbors friend had found them earlier and called us in. The sharks were thick, but there were some tarpon in the mix as well. On our second drift a large tarpon rolled just five feet from the boat, but we were not fast enough with a pitch bait. A few drifts later I tie into a big tarpon and get one good jump about 20 feet from the boat before he throws the hook. Now we are excited and fish for the next two hours with nothing but sharks. We must have caught over a dozen sharks each, and most of them were well over 50 lbs.

Just as we are finishing our last drift of the day, I get a good run and we assume it is another shark, but when I tighten the drag the fish spits the bait. I can tell the bait is still on so I leave it out there and 20 seconds later the fish is on again. The fish is off in short order, but the bait is still there. I hook up to the fish a third time and really let him run with minimal drag, when I tighten it down a ~50 lb tarpon jumps about 75 yards back. He runs for a while and I get a second jump where he spins as he flies through the air and throws the hook. I had lost all my really big circle hooks to sharks earlier in the day, and the smaller circle hook had turned a buried the point in the bait, and that is why he was able to keep spiting it out. We decide to make one last drift and get a few more sharks, but no tarpon to the boat. We went 0-2 on the tarpon but at least we tied into two and got some jumps out of them.

Mark

·
Registered
640 Posts
Was that in the 19 ft boat you were talking about? I am headed to Port Lavaca to visit family over Labor Day and am planning on running out a mile or two weather permitting. Maybe I will get my shot.

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Sounds like a great plan for this weekend. I have seen a couple reports of them to the east of the jetties. Anyone else want to give them a shot? A couple boats will make it easier to locate the schools.

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Nevermind, its the Tarpon Tourney this weekend. Duh. I just forgot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Great! Looks like the fish are starting to make themselves seen in good numbers. You indicated off Galveston; Chronicle report said good concentration east of jetties. Were you closer to jetties or San Luis? I'd like to try to make it out tomorrow afternoon but if I go there will be limited time to scout and trying to narrow my focus.

mr sharkey

1 - 11 of 11 Posts