2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give advice/experience with a gas tankless water heater? Do they provide unlimited hot water?

Also need recommendation for a plumber in Katy area (Cinco Ranch) to change out existing water heater for a tankless water heater.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Yes they provide unlimited hot water. I may know a plumber hehe call me any time 832-475-4700 www.yourhoustonplumber.com. Let me know and we can come out and give you a free est. It is very important you get a unit that fits your needs. We are installing one for another 2cooler this sunday.

·
Let's Go Fishin Boss!
7,913 Posts
Have one at our Galveston beach house and it works great! Good energy efficiency appliance!

·
OVERWATCH
13,192 Posts
Make sure you get a large enough unit to handle the immediate needs of your house.

They have to be flushed yearly or more depending on water conditions and you have to factor in the expense over time. See if it is worth it.

The primary disadvantage is the upfront cost. The smaller units that you often see won't produce enough hot water to serve most households. They'll only serve one faucet at a time-a problem if you want to shower while the dishwasher is running. Larger units that can handle the demand of a whole family, but are expensive.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Have one in our house we bought a little over a year ago....LOVE IT!!! Unlimited hot water and efficient. We can run 2 showers and the dishwasher and still have good hot water at a slightly lower pressure. Will always go tankless in the future!

James

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like it'll make momma happy.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I put mine in last year, 3 showers, and the kitchen sink don't run out of hot water! I like mine cause it has a thermostate inside so I can change the temp if needed. You won't regret getting it.

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
just replaced my old old old old old natural gas Bosch Aquastar (about 14 years old) with a Rinnai 9.4 gpm... little louder but great consistent hot water. If you can, get a natural gas one.

·
915 Posts
We converted to a large Takagi about 7 years ago and it was awesome, for awhile....there were a few things nobody mentioned.
First, it's great when they are sized right that there really is an endless supply of hot water regardless of demand.
Now the not so great: if you have hard water be very aware of some issue you will have to deal with.
One, the flash heating can and will, 'cook' the minerals in hard water and those little specs of now hardened minerals will flow downstream and slowly clog appliances, aerators, shower heads, etc.
Second is the real kicker, that hard water can and will kill your heat exchanger over 3-4 years, even with flushing.
We flushed ours every six months and still had a heat exchanger fail at four years old. And the warranty doesn't cover that.
We are on well water that is obviously pretty hard, but I have a good friend that lives in Jersey Village that has had pretty similar results as we have.
After seven years and two $1500+ tankless heaters, we just went back to a regular natural gas tank heater, unfortunately.
Maybe the manufacturers knowledge of dealing with hard water has improved the products these several years later. I know it sucked having to buy another heater because the warranty wouldn't cover the failed heat exchanger.
Oh, and to be completely fair, I set the unit at a little higher temp setting than the factory had it. The factory setting was weak.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
We have used noritz tankless heaters and literally have never had a failure, just routine flushing. I'm sure it will happen but that's my experience from a plumbers point of view.

·
Senior Mumbler
11,515 Posts
I've got a water softener already. Does that help?
What does it take to flush a heat exchanger? (don't even know what a heat exchanger is. LOL)

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
We converted to a large Takagi about 7 years ago and it was awesome, for awhile....there were a few things nobody mentioned.
First, it's great when they are sized right that there really is an endless supply of hot water regardless of demand.
Now the not so great: if you have hard water be very aware of some issue you will have to deal with.
One, the flash heating can and will, 'cook' the minerals in hard water and those little specs of now hardened minerals will flow downstream and slowly clog appliances, aerators, shower heads, etc.
Second is the real kicker, that hard water can and will kill your heat exchanger over 3-4 years, even with flushing.
We flushed ours every six months and still had a heat exchanger fail at four years old. And the warranty doesn't cover that.
We are on well water that is obviously pretty hard, but I have a good friend that lives in Jersey Village that has had pretty similar results as we have.
After seven years and two $1500+ tankless heaters, we just went back to a regular natural gas tank heater, unfortunately.
Maybe the manufacturers knowledge of dealing with hard water has improved the products these several years later. I know it sucked having to buy another heater because the warranty wouldn't cover the failed heat exchanger.
Oh, and to be completely fair, I set the unit at a little higher temp setting than the factory had it. The factory setting was weak.
Someone told me a while back if you got hard water you got to pass it through a water softner before the w/heater.Or build up will kill you..True or Not.Haven'tried it ..Just got regular tank...cva34

·
915 Posts
For sure if you install a softener you would remove the issue of hard water.
But thats mo money...kinda ruins the whole "more economical" aspect of going to a tankless. If you already have one, no big deal.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts