2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have been here almost 5 days now and I got on the horn Thursday afternoon - booked a 3 tank dive trip with Narcosis SCUBA out of Tarpon Springs on 3 July (yesterday). This would be a two tank dive at the RJ Thompson in about 70 feet which was a USCG buoy tender that went down and the other was a ledge a few miles away in about 60-65. The ledge was really just an outcropping of rocks that sustained corral and sea life. Water clarity was not as good due to the full moon and extreme tidal flow. Still it was a VERY enjoyable trip and what a great way to burn up another day in Florida..

At the RJ, there were 3-4 HUGE JEWFISH! When I say huge, I mean friggin mondo. I have seen large 200-300+ jewfish before, but I saw two down there that was AT LEAST 500lbs - The biggest was the size of a volkswagen and I dropped in to the wreck about 10 feet from it! If I were guessing, I would say in the 550-600 range - it eluded me before I could get a pic of him. The jewfish I did get some pics of below was the third biggest and was a quite a bit smaller than the other two...

In the picture where it is swimming through the wreckage, that opening is about 4 feet wide. I would guess this one was probably in the 350 lb range...

Pictures just can not do justice to relate the actual size as any diver can attest to... In the face to face, we were about 6-8 feet apart.

I miss Texas though... :(

Attachments

·
will fish for work
287 Posts
Awesome Pictures

thanks reel, those are some killer fish. man, i bet you were a little excited, to say the least, i would be looking for the get away door! lol

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Hey dude... it's not a jew fish anymore.. it is a goliath grouper. LMAO

Cool pics. I never had the guts to scuba dive. Watched Jaws to many times as a youngster.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
To heck with PC... ITS A JEWFISH!! There, I said it! LOL!

Nice pics....why didn't you go hand feed him? LOL!

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
InfamousJ said:
Cool pics. I never had the guts to scuba dive. Watched Jaws to many times as a youngster.
Too funny! I know the feeling all too well. When I was dropping down from the boat, you can't see the bottom (yet) and my mind had that flashing thought like when I am fishing with a slight Jaws tune in my head - du.... duhhhh.... duh.... duhhhh... duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh... :D

Something along the lines of "I ain't gettin in the water!"

You know when you have a few lines in the water, you're far from shore and you sure hope you get back safely... LOL

Those thoughts are erased in a flash as soon as you start seeing the beauty and serenity of such amazing creatures and incredible sights..

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
James, I am still using the same cell phone number here. I'll give you a holler soon..

Later,
Chris

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nice pics

Dang am I jealous. I moved back to Texas after several years in Tampa and I am missing it! I'm a dyed in the wool Texan but the fishing in Florida absolutely blows us away. Snook, tarpon, reds, trout, permit, grouper (black & gags), spanish macks, cobia, pompano, jacks, mangrove snapper and of course jewfish and sharks - all right in the bay!

The diving is incredible but so are the size of the sharks espcially around Egmont Key and the skyway bridge. It's not uncommon to see 10ft bulls and 15ft hammerheads swim right under the boat in either location! You can see 20ft down but you start rethinking deep wading after seeing a few of those bad boys!

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Funny you say that about the sharks. I have not been on the water a single time here without having seen AT LEAST a half dozen sharks. Biggest I have actually seen swim up to the boat has been about 4 feet (Bonnet Head)...

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I use a Sony DSC-P5 which is the older version of the current P7, which is a 3.2 MP with a 6x zoom. As for the housing/case, it is the Sony marine pak that fits the camera like a glove and is extremely easy to use.. One of the best buys I have ever made!

I don't have or use any type of strobe and I make sure NOT to use the onboard flash. With a flash that close, it will kill the image altogether.

As for finished product, I run it through Photoshop and let it auto-balance the pics. Most pics come out good after shopping them, but some have to be left alone because with the amount of blue and green, it will add red splotches in the edit..

Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts