2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know a good place to get a few tamales? I can get someone to make 'em but usually at a minimum order of 12 doz. Really like pork with a little kick. Like a good mess of tamales every once in awhile! Thanks!

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
Best I've ever had is from the Tamale Man that sells them out of his truck off of 2351 in Friendswood. He is about a mile off of of I-45S heading west on the left. I've waited till Christmas Eve in the past to get some & waited in line for over 2 hours...but it was worth it...I usually get mine fresh a couple of days before, vacum pack & keep them in the fridge, & reheat wrapped in a wet towel on Christmas Eve.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Bob's Taco stand and restaurant in Rosenberg on Ave H which is really old Hy90..Close to Hy36 intersection...They have website...Been eating their homemade tamales for over 15 years...Excellent and restaurant has top Board of Health ratings....They offer both pork and beef....About $13.00 per dozen now....Minimum is 1 dozen...lol
Most likely closed tomorrow...
Closed on Mondays..
Open other days only until about 2;00 p.m.
Family owned and operated....

·
Super Moderator
3,739 Posts
I will second that Tamale Man on 2351. Well worth the drive. You can buy as little as a half dozen and he had a couple of varieties.

·
Older Person
6,100 Posts
Not sure where you are but some of the best are at a tamale stand on 2351 west of 45 south about 1 mile on the left. Seems to be there almost every afternoon.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Best I've ever had is from the Tamale Man that sells them out of his truck off of 2351 in Friendswood. He is about a mile off of of I-45S heading west on the left. I've waited till Christmas Eve in the past to get some & waited in line for over 2 hours...but it was worth it...I usually get mine fresh a couple of days before, vacum pack & keep them in the fridge, & reheat wrapped in a wet towel on Christmas Eve.
That's funny you mention him!!! He's been there forever. I moved to Pearland in 1976 and he was at the same spot!!!

Muggs, most of the Mexican Restraunts are selling them by the dozen right now. What's your location?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Don't know where you are located.
Alamo tamale's Berry Rd. 1/2 block west of Irvington. 10.00 dz Homemade full of pork or chicken or bean or beef.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I just finished almost a dozen of chicken tamales my secretaries mom made last night. Its that time of the year. On a side note, $13/dz. WOW!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
They were only around $8.00 a few years back...Slowly went up $1.00 every so often....

They are large and ya can make a meal out of about 6 of them...

BTW...They do not use hog face/headmeat in the pork tamales but a good grade of pork roast type meat...

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
They were only around $8.00 a few years back...Slowly went up $1.00 every so often....

They are large and ya can make a meal out of about 6 of them...

BTW...They do not use hog face/headmeat in the pork tamales but a good grade of pork roast type meat...
You can't go wrong with office tamales!!!

I'd have no problem paying the inflated price to avoid hog face/headmeat.

·
***, Over?
2,262 Posts
Not sure what your twenty is but...

There is a lady that is in Matagorda every weekend that makes the best tamales I have had in a very long time. Best part is she sells them for $6 / dozen. She makes pork, chicken, beef and HOT (Pork).

Incidentally she also makes great enchiladas.

PM if you want her phone number. It is best to call ahead if you have a large order. She lives in Bay City but you can catch her rolling around Matagorda on most Saturdays. She hangs out at the hardware store a lot of the day.

·
Typical Texan
8,414 Posts
If you are in NW Houston, Balderas Tamale Factory are good. They are on Grant RD. just west of CyCreek HS.

I went to Friendswood HS back when it was an open campus for lunch and made many a runs to the tamale man for lunch. He makes a beef and bean burrito that will bust your gut and bring you to your knees. Good stuff!

·
Twitch..Twitch--->Boom
5,307 Posts
Man i remeber the burritos as well. He no longer makes them.. Sucks because they were the best around. He only sells tamales, chips, salsa, queso now.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the replies! Will give them all a try. I live outside of Sweeny, Will give the lady in Matagorda a visit for sure. A few tamale makes a good quick meal. There are a few ladies are around here that make a great one, just hate to have to buy such a large amount at one time. Thanks again!!

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
Quick Update...Made a quality assurance run to see the 2351 tamale man last night. I'm taking 6 dozen to my SIL's house for Christmas. $7 fresh & hot...$6 frozen / dozen. (I bought mine fresh, let them cool, & vacum packed & froze them myself...his frozen aren't vacum packed). The masa seemed a little thicker than I remembered from last year, but meaty & GOOD. He has really good chips & his Queso is spectacular! Get them early because it's starting to get crowded already. I waited in line 35 minutes.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts