2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you were to have an ideal location for boat storage where would it be? For example, if you lived in Houston and fished in Port O'Connor would you like the boat storage close to Houston (so you could work on it if necessary), in Port O'Connor, or maybe even somewhere on HWY 59?

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
depends on you.

I have a beach house in Crystal Beach - therefore, most of my fishing is in that area. My boat is stored about 1/2 mile from the beach house.

if not for the house, I would store it near where I fisheed most often, whether it be POC, Galveston...you get my drift?

If you fish somewhere different every weekend, then keep it convenient to home so you don't have to go far to pick it up.

·
Borders, language, culture
6,338 Posts
I say at the place where I fish. You don't have tow the thing as far then. Gas savings alone can probably justify rental for some people.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
my boat storage in CB runs $35 per month for a 10x24, 5% less if I pay three months in advance, 10% off if I pay for the whole year.

similar stall in north houston would run about $70 or so a month. plus the gas to haul it each weekend.

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
I have a 10x30 with elec and concrete floors over off of Hwy 3 and el dorado in webster. It runs me $111 a month. IS that about right? And does anyone know of anything cheaper in that area, that has electricity?
--Hop

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
i have a 10 by 30 off of hwy 6 and 288 with elec, water, air, concrete,all metal and security gate for 80 per month. very safe, clean property. i can pick up the boat on the way to matagorda, surfside, or take 6 to galveston and it drops me off right at bayou vista. owner danny is really nice.

michelle

·
Banned
594 Posts
I have had both in the water stalls near the coast and dry storage close to home. By far the trailer option is my favorite. When I had the boat in a sling, it commited me to one port. Also it was a hassle to work on the boat. Never seemed to have the right tool for the job. With my boat close to home, it is real convinient to run over to the boat when ever needed. The most important thing though is TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOUR TRAILER!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't get to go down south every weekend thus keeping it close to home is better. I would really prefer to be able to store it at my house, as I think I'd make even more quick trips. In fact that is almost a must have criteria for my next house.

Hop,

Everything in that area is high, I've looked all over. I currently have a place in Pasadena just off Beltway 8 and Spencer which as elec., and fenced in for $50 bucks a month. It's not the best but most affordable thing I've found.

As for the Clear Lake area there is a place on Nasa Rd. 1 down close to Classic Cafe and the Turtle Club called The Red Shed, I think. Seems like when I checked they were about $70, but only a few units thus hard to get.

My dad recently told me he found another place tucked away of Nasa Rd. 1 near 146 that I think was in the $50 - $75 range.

·
Charter Member
5,922 Posts
Storage nearby for me...

If you fish somewhere different every weekend, then keep it convenient to home so you don't have to go far to pick it up.
I have the option of fishing Trinity Bay, or other places around Galveston, or Lake Sabine so I keep my boat in storage about a mile from the house...12X30, concrete floor, water, auto gate...almost too convenient...but over $100/mo.

Mike

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Since I have been here in Florida, I have been able to leave my boat on base at their dry dock storage area adjacent to the ramp. Granted, I am only about 15 miles from base, I have mixed emotions about keeping it there. Here's my findings so far..

1. I can run down to the marina quicker and save gas, but I have to pull the boat farther now to get gas for it so if I am planning a trip, I need to make sure to either factor in enough time for gas or get gas prior. There is the gas on the water alternative, but at over $2/gallon...

2. My boat is locked up and safe, I can't just walk right out to it and see that everything is cool. There are varmints on base and that is the only real worry and they CAN tear a boat up if you don't clean it..

3. Cleaning it must be done at the ramp as well as all flushing and such. If you cover your boat like I do, you wash it and get it as dry as possible but it's still wet when you cover it. This in turn traps some moisture inside and things tend to remain wet longer and sweating in the bilge is much more prevalent. Back home I back mine in the driveway, clean it and flush the motors and let it air dry for an hour or two with all hatches open. Here, you are normally run off the water by storms so getting the cover on ASAP is normally part of the mad dash as you're avoiding getting struck by lightning! LOL

4. Working on the boat must be planned, you either take your tools with you or you bring your boat to the tools.. If you take your tools, better not forget a tool!

5. Annual cleaning and waxing also must be considered and if your stored in a lot like mine, the mosquitos or HORRENDOUS! So if the skeeters don't get you, the heat will..

6. Lack the ability to pre-check everything before leaving.. You have no idea if the battery is dead or something prior to leaving.. Normally not an issue, but it would suck when it was..

7. Gear! You must must take all your gear with you for the most part and instead of just loading it up in the boat prior to leaving, you do two loads (truck and boat) and vice-a-versa when you leave.

8. back on the critters and gear, make sure you have ALL remnants of food, bait or what have you OFF the boat and thoroughly washed out. Racoons, ants and rot will wreak havoc and delay you the next time you show up to the boat that you thought was good to go the last time you left..

So, when you get to your boat, you still have to load it, hook it up, test everything, gas it up and all that good stuff. If I was driving down 45 and had to deal with that, I would probably keep the boat further south and pick it up halfway..

Well, you get the idea..

·
Gone Fishing
12,001 Posts
50 t0 90 bucks ...!! Thats alot of fishing:work: I live 9 miles from the ramp ...but do I want to fish there? Its a lil work but its here.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Now that looks like a man's garage! Boat, 4-Wheeler, couch, rods hanging from the rafters and a beer fridge - My kind of garage! :D

·
Registered
545 Posts
I keep my boat in storage a couple miles from the house. I like to have it close so I can hook it up and go anywhere plus if I need to work on it its just down the road.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree, it does suck have to pay for storage, but for some that's the best we can do. I bought my house before I was even thinking about my boat and just don't have anywhere to put it, other than the drive way, but that's against HOA rules. In fact mine's been there for two weeks since my last trip because of bearing problem. I'm probably going to get a letter about it in the next few days. Like I said before my next house will most definately have accomodations for the boat (including space for upgrading.)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Survey Says

Thanks for the responses so far guys.

If I calculated correctly this is what I show so far as preferences for boat storage:

close to the house: 50%
close to fishing spot: 25%
inbetween: : 25%

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Put me down for "close to the house" anyday. I have done all types of storage and prefer having it close to work on and flexibility to go anywhere.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm on the close to home side

When we had our boat we kept in storage close to home. It was easier to work on it and such, but since we live in Spring and occassionally did some freshwater fishing, it was nice to have there.

My bother, on the other hand, lives in Conroe and keeps his boat in the yard. After a trip to the bay, he normally drives to the lake for the fresh water flush before heading home.

Must be nice.

MIK

1 - 20 of 22 Posts