2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Duty Is Our's; Consequences are God's!
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We made a run out of G-town in search of a big King for the Star. Well we found some big guys and one Hoo to boot but were Tail Whipped more time than I can count. I have never had this problem occur so many times in one day, what were we doing wrong, are there any tricks to keep this from happening?

BTW we did find some nice Tripletails and were able to land three really nice ones along with some smaller ones that we released to grow up. The were just nailing speck rigs and once I had a double hook-up by a pair of 3 pounders only to have one break off. All in all the Tripletails made the day after all our problems with the kings.

Picture to come shortly.

Derek

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
you talkin about being cut off by the tail?

You keeping the boat in gear? That will keep the fish more head on. as well as plenty of pressure and a long enough wire leader as well as sufficient size mono for the drag that you have on it.

·
Duty Is Our's; Consequences are God's!
7,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Argo said:
you talkin about being cut off by the tail?

You keeping the boat in gear? That will keep the fish more head on. as well as plenty of pressure and a long enough wire leader as well as sufficient size mono for the drag that you have on it.
Yep, thats what was happening. We were drifting live bait, so we didn't have the boat in gear. Everything else, leaders, line and drag should have all been good. Have caught many big Kings on the exact setups we were using yesterday. Over the years I have been tail whipped every now and then, but never more than once or so in a day. Yesterday in was one after another and it was on multiple sized tackle. Guess it just wasn't our day.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
If your going to to tie a bimini, tie it long enough that you can reel it on to the reel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts