2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Just a Member
126 Posts
rjohnson107 said:
does TP&W reveal where they release the tagged reds?
I don't think so. We've all heard plenty of rumors but unless you got connections, (I don't) best bet is to stay close to the surf. Not many show up inland!

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Million dollar question!

They dont release the locations but I have noticed one is caught almost every year from the Moody Gardens area. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not. Ive also not heard of many caught from the inland bays. I agree with fletch, stay close to the gulf. West and East. Dont know about the other coastal regions. One was caught last year around Smith's Point but they were not registered. That was the farthest inland Ive heard of.

Zac

·
Bird Flu Eradication Team
2,299 Posts
tagged reds

It has always frustrated me as to where they seem to release the tagged reds. They seem to release them in the areas where a lot of people fish and places that are easy to get to. Lots of them caught at SLP, surfside jetties, estes flats, packery channel. How many tagged reds do you hear of caught in the out of the way places that a lot of us like to fish? I guess if you want a tagged red you gotta fish where all the other people are. Just my opinion.

·
Just a Member
126 Posts
tagged reds

deebo,
Your right about that, one other observation is it seems like these fish get caught in the first month or so too. I'm going to spend some extra time on the jetties, crowd or no crowd!!! What a prize, that triton and truck would be WELCOME in my house. My wife would never see me then! :hairout:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Here is a tip I received this weekend.

All the tagged redfish are released from a location that is accessible by the release truck.

That definitely leaves out many of our favorite places to fish.

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
I believe Medulla is right. To my knowledge all are released from a truck.

Also, the fish are purposely released from areas that are accessible and heavily fished. They want people to catch the fish. The prizes are already donated. They save nothing by the fish going uncaught. Additionally, if a winner was seldom ever caught, nobody would join the CCA to get into the tournament.

I seems there is one caught from Tiki Island every year and one caught out of/near Powderhorn lake in POC every year.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Texas Parks and Wildlife does not release the reds, CCA does. TP&W has nothing to do with the STAR tournament. There is also no release truck, so that's not exactly right either. CCA and their cohorts catch the fish from public waters, keep them in a holding pen usually until the release date(s). Most fish are recaught close to where they were released. For this reason, there is no published list of release spots. As a matter of fact, only a couple of individuals are in the know so they can keep it fair for everyone. I will however, tell you where they can be found in the galveston area.......Hang on, gotta run to an appointment. I'll fill you in later.-Tom

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
i work w/ two people who have caught one each and both were caught from freeport jetties to san luis pass. the ticket is in the surf. three years ago the reds were so thick at carbodies i could'nt believe no one caught one. at least one person was hooked-up w/ a red and we caught at least 100 between all the boats and the guys wading.and all were around the 20" mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts