2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tandem Kayak - Question

OK, guys. Got a kayak question and debat possibly. I want to get a kayak, but not 2. My wife seems to want to join into the fun and time. So a tandem may be an option. I know when I am by myself, I will need to add the ice chest or gear to distribute the weight properly. But I need a comparison. Academy has the Pelican Apex Tandem - boat, backrests, and cheap paddle for $385 and another place has the Mainstream Double-Play with nothing for $299. Both would need to be rigged for fishing. I plan mostly fishing on Lake Houston and the river eddies. Some surf only to yak out bait. Any idea, guys. Thanks

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Tandem kayaks are considered to be "divorce facilitators". Two kayaks are better. That said, I'd stay away from Pelican. The Mainstream is better but a Wilderness Systems or an Ocean Kayak or a Malibu or a Cobra would be better still. That's just my opinion but I've been kayaking for a while.

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
A tandem yak will be very difficult to use by yourself and be a royal pain when it comes to the surf. Look around on the classified here or texaskayakfishing and I bet you can find a couple good used ones pretty reasonable

·
Registered
100 Posts
My wife and I have a Tarpon 13 T and love the time we spend in it. My wife has always loved to fish but last summer she just wouldn't wade any. Now we use the kayak in the muddy areas and wade the hard sand area. She got over her fear of the things in the water and loves to go get those Reds.

A double kayak is harder for one to work when by yourself. When two on board and both working you can make some great time.

Those that say it is a sure divorce, just don't have much of a marriage to start with. It won't cause a divorce to have one if you like being together and have a sound marriage to start with.

The best thing I find when fishing together along a shore, we can take turns oaring while the other one fishes or if the wind is light, we can drift and both fish.

·
Registered
46 Posts
We also have a Tarpon 130T. So far no divorce and the times we've gone out we have had fun. I just have to remember she can't stay out there aslong as I do.
I do have a leak problem with my 130T. Bought it brand new but it's leaking.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I will still get the tandem. But in a few months, probably add a second one to my small fleet. I don't mind working a little harder if I have to. She and I will really enjoy this. We live on Lake Houston with access to both the Lake and San Jacinto River near the dam. Thanks for all the comments.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought one of the Pelican Apex II from Academy for me and my 19yr old son to fish together. We don't have any problems fishing out of it, he in the front and me in the rear. I usually cast to one side and he to the other, or we sit side-saddle facing opposite sides. Sometimes he will get out and wade while I paddle on ahead and come back for him a little later. I couldn't afford two kayaks for us so the tandem was the only choice. My wife says that she may go out with me some time, as long as I understand that "she does not paddle"!!

Wayno

1 - 8 of 8 Posts