2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story but a once in a lifetime one that we will all never forget!

Drove up on a herd of black buck about 250 yds out, we were not hunting but were out just filling feeders- my dad jumps up in the rack and fires away with the only gun in the truck- click- he forgot to eject his shell from a doe he shot this morning. After throwing a good round in the chamber, he fires and the black buck jumps and spins twice in the air! I yell he got it but then off it goes running about 300 yards away. Three more shots and three puffs of dust behind it and we are bummed.

We send two out to the first shot spot and two more to where we last spotted him. Nothing. After 30 minutes of looking we are giving up and walking back to the truck. I happen to look down and spot a small drop of blood. The tracking is on with us about to give up every 30 minutes or so when someone would yell 'blood'! about 40 yards away. Very small drops. This happens about 10 times with tiny drops found 40 yards from where we think he was going. Glad we had 5 of us or we never would have gotten this far.

Our fellow feeder fillers met us to help with the search. After two miles of tracking, my buddy heres some grunting in the woods. 5 ft away is the black buck staring at him in the face! The buck turns and run and the two guys in front start the chase! Would you believe we were out of bulletts from the original gun and all we had was a 22 that the 2nd group of trackers brought? After the chase we lost him. We were bummed but kept walking until we hit a fence, we knew where we were and called to be picked up. No more blood....

As the truck arrived and we were walking to it- we catch two more specks of blood! Pure luck. We lose the trail and hop in the truck hoping to jump him. After driving through the brush with no luck, we get back on the main road. My dad stops and is suddenly staring at the buck in the brush! Here is where the story gets crazy-

He gets the 22 and the buck turns. His only shot is in the rump and he takes it. The buck jumps up and is tangled in the brush. We all jump out and move in as the buck is going in circles in the vines. Would you believe the gun jams and my dad cannot fire again? Cluster! The buck breaks free and starts running as my buddy dives and just misses his body. Another guy with knife in hand lunges and stabs the buck in the neck! The buck then comes to a fence and turns back towards us! He is coming right at me as I get ready for the collision- my dad yells "he's gonna gore ya!" Good advice that I take and get out of the way. By this time the blood is everywhere.

We follow it for another 50 yards and there he is again. The 22 is now fixed and he is finally dropped! 3.5 hours later and 2.5 miles away from when it all began!

The original shot nearly blew his nose and eyes out! My dad was aiming for the head as he was so far and hoped the bullet would drop to the chest.

Total group effort and great time that we will remember forever.
Morales of the story- if you do not have another box of bullets, have another rifle (with bullets) and never give up on the search of a wounded deer- you never know!

Some pics below:
The elusive black buck, the trackers and the killers-
My buddies first buck- a cull 7 pt!
A Texas Dall
Some small bucks sparring
An Oryx

Attachments

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
Great story but it sounds like you were lucky no one was shot or injured.

It also sounds like you might have went to find him too early.

Biggie

·
Registered
858 Posts
Sounds like a cluster of madness why would you shoot at a animal that far away only to injure it? I am glad you found it but if you are not sure of the shot and not comfortable in making it don't shoot.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
glad you guys got yer animal, but i have to wonder, how big was the ranch, could you guys not put on a stalk considering you found him "at a fence" and why would you aim for the head only to hit the chest, what caliber gun were you using that you guys couldn't make a decent 250 yard shot at the vitals instead of the head?

The original shot nearly blew his nose and eyes out! My dad was aiming for the head as he was so far and hoped the bullet would drop to the chest.
sorry, just trying to understand....

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
10000 acre ranch- those black buck are elusive and he was watching us the entire way- no way to get closer without him taking off. We had spotted him before on the ranch but never could get close enough for a shot. He did not hit the low fence until near the end of the track.

He had confidence in the shot- one of those things. Easy to rush and make a bad call when you are excited. 300 stw rifle I believe.

Confused that one person states why would we shoot at an animal 'that far away' but another states why did we not hit it at that close distance...oh well.

We were lucky no one got hurt in all of the excitment. Not much chance of anyone getting shot, but trying to tackle him might not have been wise. Sure was awesome though.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
10000 acre ranch- those black buck are elusive and he was watching us the entire way- no way to get closer without him taking off. We had spotted him before on the ranch but never could get close enough for a shot. He did not hit the low fence until near the end of the track.

He had confidence in the shot- one of those things. Easy to rush and make a bad call when you are excited. 300 stw rifle I believe.

Confused that one person states why would we shoot at an animal 'that far away' but another states why did we not hit it at that close distance...oh well.

We were lucky no one got hurt in all of the excitment. Not much chance of anyone getting shot, but trying to tackle him might not have been wise. Sure was awesome though.
ah, got it now...makes sense....i was the one that mentioned the shot and distance, personally, i like those long distance phone calls, but yes, being rushed and the adrenaline pumping makes us do some weird off the wall stuff.....short story, dropped a 10 in front of my brother's blind at 275 DRT, missed a big 12 the next year at 125 yards, go figure....LOL

glad nobody got hurt, the tackle part would have made me change my drawers after. :cheers:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Not trying to be an arse here but seems like aiming for the head and hoping for a chest hit is not knowing your gun too well. Most know their gun capabilities and at what range they are comfortable. If he is not sighted in for that range why even take that shot. Maybe there was a scope issue? I've seen that before. To each their own but running down an animal after shooting its face off would really turn my stomach if I had done it.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not trying to be an arse here but seems like aiming for the head and hoping for a chest hit is not knowing your gun too well. Most know their gun capabilities and at what range they are comfortable. If he is not sighted in for that range why even take that shot. Maybe there was a scope issue? I've seen that before. To each their own but running down an animal after shooting its face off would really turn my stomach if I had done it.
I dont take long shots but I thought is was common to shoot 2 to 3 inches high for a shot over 200 yards...?
These are small animals, much smaller than a whitetail.
Good discussions though.

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
I dont take long shots but I thought is was common to shoot 2 to 3 inches high for a shot over 200 yards...?
These are small animals, much smaller than a whitetail.
Good discussions though.
Glad you found him. But a .300STW is a screamer. That round is point of aim round at 250yds, as your father found out. The STW's are flat shooting high velocity loads, no need to hold up much more than an inch or two at that close of a range, if that. A buddy has a 7mm STW that is good to 300yds+ without worrying about raising the cross hairs in the kill zone on the animal.

·
Intardweb jeeper
128 Posts
That's a shame. Would have made a pretty mount and a great stalking story.

And they're not that hard to stalk. Just gotta know how to do the walk.

Anyway, congrats.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
OK...Gotta say it....

You might be a ******* if.... (insert story....LOL!!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts