2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been awhile since I saw a thread on t-mobile coverage in the gulf. Those that have t-mobile is it working offshore? Our phones just got switched over to the t-mobile network.. I know before there were mixed reviews. We go out of freeport up to 100 miles if that helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not T-Mobile but according to their site they support all major carriers and the map looks like they cover a lot of the gulf off the Texas coast. I have no experience with it, just stumbled across the website a few days ago.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have Verizon here and I lose all coverage at about 30 miles out. If I don;t turn off my phone, it will go dead in a few hours (even in airplane mode). I still imagine you would have to be within sight if a supporting rig out there and most of them are long gone.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have Verizon here and I lose all coverage at about 30 miles out. If I don;t turn off my phone, it will go dead in a few hours (even in airplane mode). I still imagine you would have to be within sight if a supporting rig out there and most of them are long gone.
You get verizon out to 30 miles? Mine consistently goes out to next to nothing at 6-7 miles. I have never received any signal while deep offshore near any rigs. My buddy who has AT&T gets pretty decent signal at most of the manned offshore rigs for sending texts, but nothing more.

·
fish control my brain
7,749 Posts
AT&T can work near rigs… depends on area

·
Registered
224 Posts
You get verizon out to 30 miles?
Yea I might have over stated that a bit.... Seems to go once I loose sight of land. On the way in, I don't start hookinh up again until I just about hit the jetties.... Then the phone starts going nuts with alerts.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Sat phone is the only sure thing ... all else is line of sight, depends on who's trans/receivers are the furthest up the towers on shore ... local conditions matter too as in if you're in 4-5's at the crest or in the trough and you'll receive spotty or broken reception from all ...

·
Relentless
2,618 Posts
there is nothing sure about sat phone-inreach is the way to go
My thought has always been, with a sat phone, does everyone know how to use it, who to call, where your at, what to say? How well will the other party be able to understand you if it's in a storm, your floating, or in an awful event you hit something floating and ended up with a mouth full of console.

InReach, my son when he was 6 years old knew how to use it, anyone that can push 1 button can call for help.

Aside from being able to text and check in, tell them you'll be late, etc, or even log into your personal map and see exactly where you're at, if you have an emergency and ability to communicate, being able to receive a text back that help is on the way would be extremely reassuring as opposed to just a ePirb by it self, looking at just a flashing LED and hoping help was on the way

Relentless

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Well sorry folks ... I've been called out by offering up my opinion that a sat(ellite) phone would be the only reliable communication beyond the horizon ... apparently this new 'inreach' devise doesn't use satellites ... I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to know how it does communicate ...

·
Registered
441 Posts
Well sorry folks ... I've been called out by offering up my opinion that a sat(ellite) phone would be the only reliable communication beyond the horizon ... apparently this new 'inreach' devise doesn't use satellites ... I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to know how it does communicate ...
Both are satellite communicators. I have and use both....Globalstar has hiccupped a couple of times on very cloudy or stormy days...Inreach seems to get a satellite fix regardless of conditions.

Phone is easier.
Inreach seems more reliable.

For the other gents:
I have Coast Guard Freeport, Galvestion, Port Aransas, my wife, office and other emergency contacts (Sea Tow) stored in both units. You will need cell phones for Inreach...it uses texting.

ts

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Thank you Tom Stewart ... some folks get so busy pickin' the fly chit out of the pepper they don't realize it's just fly chit ...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thank you Tom Stewart ... some folks get so busy pickin' the fly chit out of the pepper they don't realize it's just fly chit ...
Do sat phones and inreach devices both use satellites? Absolutely? InReach uses the Iridium sat network. However, there is a huge difference between the connection that is needed between having & maintaining a phone conversation and sending a text message. A phone conversation needs a very strong and stable connection to be successful, which at times can be very rare and difficult to achieve. To send a text message, the InReach can blast that small data packet to the satellites constantly until the text is sent. As a result, in my opinion, the InReach is significantly more reliable for offshore satellite communication.

I cannot tell you the number of times that folks I know have tried to place phone calls on the Globalstar & Iridium sat phones only to have it fail after just saying "hi". Not to mention the exorbitant cost of a sat phone (I am well aware that it is a drop in the bucket for an offshore fishing trip in the grand scheme of things). I personally have had a Globalstar phone that was absolute trash and now have an InReach that works wonders. Also helps me to talk to my buddies while offshore without getting on the VHF radio (which also works pretty well when you have a good antenna).

Just because someone says or believes something that you may disagree with or don't know anything about does not mean that it is without merit or "fly chit"...

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Do sat phones and inreach devices both use satellites? Absolutely
Who hoo! ... now that was a load of fly chit to get through ...I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume you don't get irony ... but thanks for agreeing with me on the original no fly chit post ... have you never heard the term "red herring"? It's used to confuse a thread of thought as meaningless information, neither disparaging nor complimentary but not germane to the subject at hand, here updated as "fly chit" ... wurds are a beach huh? re: "without merit or fly chit" ..." so you can clearly see that without merit and fly chit have no equivalency ... apology accepted ...

·
Relentless
2,618 Posts
Both are satellite communicators. I have and use both....Globalstar has hiccupped a couple of times on very cloudy or stormy days...Inreach seems to get a satellite fix regardless of conditions.

Phone is easier.
Inreach seems more reliable.

For the other gents:
I have Coast Guard Freeport, Galvestion, Port Aransas, my wife, office and other emergency contacts (Sea Tow) stored in both units. You will need cell phones for Inreach...it uses texting.

ts
What version of InReach do you happen to have, maybe the old "Spot" style messengers?

The one I have does not require a cellphone, you can enter the text directly on the device, or you can pick from a set of preset text messages for things like "just checking in"

The cellphone app only makes texting a little easier, but is not required with my InReach

Relentless

·
Registered
441 Posts
What version of InReach do you happen to have, maybe the old "Spot" style messengers?

The one I have does not require a cellphone, you can enter the text directly on the device, or you can pick from a set of preset text messages for things like "just checking in"

The cellphone app only makes texting a little easier, but is not required with my InReach

Relentless
No...its a newer one....maybe 1.5 years old...I meant Sat Phone....you can text directly from the Inreach unit, just a pia to do so unless you are sending the preset messages....I typed up a bunch of them myself....
ts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts