2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
AKA Offshore Aggie
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who target swords...This area pictured has a vertical relief of about 220 ft in a distance of about 1300 ft. Is that enough for swords? Would one want to fish that area only when a current is going up slope? Is there a magic slope percentage with a corresponding current speed or am I making it too complicated. I would think the optimum time to fish this location is when the current is moving up slope. Would a current moving SE to NW at this location push enough sediments up to make a difference?

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
OA-

Thats Dutra. Its not as agressive as some others in the area, but it comes closer to the surface. I'm not a sword expert, but something with closer to 500+' change facing se would be better. We need more fishing data to know for sure out there. We need someone to try all the humps to know what the citeria should be, for all we know it could be any of them. It would be great if we had a point everywhere one was caught or hooked.

Attachments

·
AKA Offshore Aggie
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What we need to do is get in with Captain Eddie out of Venice or someone who specifically targets swords a lot like Wacker and plot not only the locations of where the fish were hooked and not hooked, but then go back and look to see what the currents were doing at those locations in relation to seafloor shape as well as other factors like moon phases etc. I wonder if we could get enough data to form some sort of educated guess as to what the future may or may not hold for a given location or type of location with similar factors. That or we could just go fish and see what happens. I don't know about you guys, but I like to try to get every advantage I can. So feel free to send me your data...hooked up or not hooked up...date...lat lon position...etc. All info will be held in strict confidence. Nice try right??? Really though, if anyone is interested in working together let me know.

·
Registered
615 Posts
didjman, where did you get that image? What would the graph of the face of the land slide to the NE look like?.......

Oh, I just looked it up on Hiltons and it is the East Breaks..... Makes since now,,,,, why the bill fish like it.....

Victor

PS - I've been wanting to go to the Hilltops,, S of Tequila and try for swords... Hard to find a crew for that long of a run for a hunch.

·
Registered
169 Posts
was there last weekend and no significant hit and runs, just a few busted bands. saw some fish on the scope about 300-400 down tho.

·
Banned
45 Posts
I think you are making it more complicated. High tech catfishing. 500-1500 is optimum. Caught 27 in the last 2 1/2 years and its more about moon phases and picking a night the weather allows you to drift. The rigging is fairly straight forward and info is available. Forgive me if i hold back.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
HAY!

How do I get Red dots??? I want red dots? If any body is going to be in Port A around 2:00 tomorrow I have some extra, LARGE(body around 16", w/ tenacles(sp) around 24") whole squid, might be a little too big but they were all they had.
Rob C

·
Banned
45 Posts
to all you who made me have a red reputation....***...i'm an accomplished cap from all over. If clipperton atoll, san benidicto, roca partita, clarion, hurricane bank, magdelena bay, and not to mention years, about twelve...in the gulf...tourney fishing...don't float your boat...freakin sink.......................................

·
Registered
114 Posts
See the article in this months (Aug 2007) Saltwater Sportsman magazine on "Canyons Made Easy". The trolling pattern makes alot of sense when fishing the slopes and provides for more coverage of the depth spectrum. Maybe all we need is to cover more water even during non-perfect current conditions.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
venicenporta said:
although if you call the ambush for assistance...I'll come get'cha
I am sending you a greene cuz you ain't no quiter!

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
hrmmmm, I don't have any green's or red's.

remember, if it stays red for too long, or turns green at all, you should goto the nearest port and see a doctor!

a

fish on,
try not to catch anythinga butt full of penicilin won't cure up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts