2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help in getting the Pat of the smell out of a bill
So I caught decent sword in may 7th, 21.
Living in corpus it was easy to sink into a crab trap for three and half weeks, checked on it periodically and pulled the “plug” out as soon as I could.
After being in the trap I placed it in a dry borax brine for 3 weeks. Since then I have had it in the sun turning it every week or so.
My problem is it still has a little stench to it. It’s not terrible. I’ve been able to keep it in the garage for the past two weeks to avoid the rains but my question is how to I get the last little bit of smell out so I can bring inside and paint?
Thanks for any input.
Alex


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,044 Posts
I have soaked them in bleach and muridic acid took the smell away didn’t seem to make them brittle. Best way I have seen is sunlight it or heat it forces everything out of the center of the bill but you need to make sure it’s secure outside or carnitas will carry it off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have soaked them in bleach and muridic acid took the smell away didn’t seem to make them brittle. Best way I have seen is sunlight it or heat it forces everything out of the center of the bill but you need to make sure it’s secure outside or carnitas will carry it off.
I’ve left it outside on my back patio for right at two months. I’m wanting to epoxy and do some artwork on it.
I’m guessing I need to try a bleach solution.
Any recommendations on how much bleach to how much water?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Yes, the bleach made it brittle, but I just handled it carefully until I could get a first coat of primer on it. I used pure bleach. I doubt this is the truly correct method...but it seems to be working ok for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Bleach will make it brittle. I have ruined one. I now use tide laundry detergent and water (my dad told me about this), leave it in the solution for 7-10 days and the smell will be gone.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
I've ruined fish jaws with bleach before, and all the deer skull guys will say don't use bleach - use peroxide. I think it's mainly for whitening though not sure what it would do for the smell, but bleach can definitely cause damage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Clear Ammonia for 1-week will solve your problems. Can pick it up in 1 gallon jugs from dollar general.
So I tried letting it air dry/ sun dry for another two week prior to a two week ammonia bath. Pulled it yesterday and it still has a smell.

Everything looks great on it just can’t get that final smell out. I am now doing a fresh water bath with a hose connected to the bottom of a pvc pipe to give continual flow.

Does anyone know if I were to air dry it and cover in clear epoxy if it would leak smell?
I have plenty of experience in epoxy with woodworking and was my final goal to start with.

The down side to to all of this is I now have 2 new sword bills that I am just starting to work on all over again. This time a 190lber and a 110lber. Hope I have learned something to make it go a little bit quicker this time.

Thank you all who have responded. Hopefully I can find a “quicker” method


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top