2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a '19 Shoalwater 23 and the switch panel is not working completely. Front LED bar works, live well bubblers work, and the baitwell pump works but accessory 3,4, and the nav switches do not light up and do not work. Is there a fuse block or panel that I should be looking for? I looked under the dash and in the raised console section but can't find anything. I just brought it home so I'll trace wires tomorrow to see if I can find a termination point for those switches but thought I'd ask on here too in case someone can save me the 12 pack it will take for me to figure this out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Usually switches have a fuse below them or a circuit breaker you can reset or replace ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually switches have a fuse below them or a circuit breaker you can reset or replace ?

They do have a circuit breaker but can't find fuses. Hooked up the battery charger and after a few hours the switches had lights. Now nav lights work and other lights work, guessing it was a battery issue. Still can't get the trolling motor to turn on though. I'll let it charge for a few days and see what happens.

·
Registered
127 Posts
They do have a circuit breaker but can't find fuses. Hooked up the battery charger and after a few hours the switches had lights. Now nav lights work and other lights work, guessing it was a battery issue. Still can't get the trolling motor to turn on though. I'll let it charge for a few days and see what happens.
My older shallow sport just had fuses to replace my new shoalwater has circuit breakers
You can push to reset but I’ve had them blow and I just replaced it . It was one or the other . What trolling motor do you have ? I pilot ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My older shallow sport just had fuses to replace my new shoalwater has circuit breakers
You can push to reset but I’ve had them blow and I just replaced it . It was one or the other . What trolling motor do you have ? I pilot ?

Yes, Minn Kota Terrova with iPilot. Put fresh batteries in the remote and it will not turn on either. Can't find a quick connect point to test with a multi meter so I'm going to take the batteries in to get tested. Maybe it's not getting 36v so it won't kick on?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Do you have a circuit breaker wired in ? I’ve seen it both ways . Maybe the breaker is tripped

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have a circuit breaker wired in ? I’ve seen it both ways . Maybe the breaker is tripped

I'll have some time to crawl through it this afternoon, and sun is out so will be easier to see. It looks like all the wire runs between the batteries and the reservoirs for the poles and steering so I might have to remove a battery to get at that area. Otherwise I have found no circuit breakers or fuse box, there are 2 blade fuses on one of the batteries which I assume are for stereo but no other fuses anywhere.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It will work without having a circuit breaker , also may check the plug for the trolling motor . Sometimes a wire gets pulled out of the inside of the plug and it looks fine but not making contact . Maybe try hardwiring 36 v straight to the trolling motor to eliminate some possibility’s

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It will work without having a circuit breaker , also may check the plug for the trolling motor . Sometimes a wire gets pulled out of the inside of the plug and it looks fine but not making contact . Maybe try hardwiring 36 v straight to the trolling motor to eliminate some possibility’s

Thanks man. I appreciate your suggestions. I troubleshoot electrical in my Polaris, golf cart, and other toys all the time but this is first boat I've had in a while....just need to approach it the same way.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
volt meter

doodah, i'm as far from a mechanic or handy man as you can possibly get, but I kept a voltmeter in my truck just for checking boat batteries. And I check them often and especially after it's been sitting a couple weeks without use. :texasflag

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
doodah, i'm as far from a mechanic or handy man as you can possibly get, but I kept a voltmeter in my truck just for checking boat batteries. And I check them often and especially after it's been sitting a couple weeks without use. :texasflag
LOL. I have one that I got on Amazon and it's like reading a foreign language. Tried all kinds of settings with it looking for voltage at the motor and at the batteries and could never get it to work. I need to just run down to Home Depot and get a legit one. Thanks for reminding me! I'm headed to Mansfield tomorrow and Port A next week so I'll just fish without it for now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
LOL. I have one that I got on Amazon and it's like reading a foreign language. Tried all kinds of settings with it looking for voltage at the motor and at the batteries and could never get it to work. I need to just run down to Home Depot and get a legit one. Thanks for reminding me! I'm headed to Mansfield tomorrow and Port A next week so I'll just fish without it for now.
Yep, I’d suggest having the batts load tested . I had 3 batts for my 36v troller would charge all the way up and show good voltage after a hour of use it would be dead . I got a Matco load tester where it actually puts a load on a fully charged batt and 2 we’re basically done . So all along i was thinking they were good bc I had perfect voltage but I was wrong

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep, I’d suggest having the batts load tested . I had 3 batts for my 36v troller would charge all the way up and show good voltage after a hour of use it would be dead . I got a Matco load tester where it actually puts a load on a fully charged batt and 2 we’re basically done . So all along i was thinking they were good bc I had perfect voltage but I was wrong

So I chased everything down and determined that the control board and breaker were both bad. Had to buy a new remote too but now everything works on the TM. Still having issues with the darn switches though. If some work and some don't it has the be a bad connection between the jumpers on the switches right? I mean power in for sure since a few work. Got me pulling my hair out right now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts