2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so the whole swine flu issue, there is alot of information/opinions out there on this vaccination and whether or not to get it, especially for your kids... here are my thoughts...

I have several friends whose children have gotten the swine flu, actually tested positive. The kids aged anywhere from less than a year to 5 years old. They had like 102-103 fever for 2 days and then it was over. It makes me think I should be OK if I don't get the vaccine for my kids, false sense of security.

Well, false sense of security is correct. There is a young lady about 6 years old, won't go into details, that got the swine flu and then it went bad and ended up with staph in her lungs and has been at TCH for a while now. She was thought at one point not to make it but I have heard that has turned around for the better but they think some long term effects are unavoidable. Been praying for her several times since I heard about it.

Spoke with the doc yesterday with my 2 year old girl. I was told that out of 100 young children from their clinics, 5 are ending up in PICU (pediatric intensive care) after getting the swine flu. That's 5% ending up in PICU just from this one doctors world of clinics. Rather large percentage if you ask me.

Going on about the medication itself, yes there are tons of risks that are listed. That is pretty standard and many common drugs we take carry lists with tons of risks as well. Then there is the whole opinion this vaccination wasn't tested long enough or had large enough trials and data to support its safety. I think this vaccine is a long way ahead of the Carter days in the 70's when there was a swine flu epidemic then and lots of mercury based stuff was injected, and the cases of Guillain-Barre Syndrome showing up. Less than .01% had complications in the end of that vaccination period.

Here is a recent write up from WebMd I have a link to on similar questions I have with the vaccination:

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/features/is-the-h1n1-swine-flu-vaccine-safe

My notes are in red..

No vaccine is 100% safe for everyone. (weigh the risks and prayer helps :) )
The 2009 H1N1 swine flu vaccine is made exactly the same way as the seasonal flu vaccine (we all get flu shots each year, most anyways, especially children), by the same manufacturers using the same materials -- except for one shiny new piece.
When that happens, a "new" vaccine is made using the relevant part of the variant virus.
Only the multi-shot vials contain thimerosal (which contains the mercury)
People who want to avoid thimerosal-containing flu vaccines must get the FluMist vaccine or the single-syringe shots.
So with this information and opinion I have formed trying to figure out just what to do,... having the information from our pediatrician on the number of cases actually ending up in PICU from the Swine flu, knowing of one really bad complication in a child close to us that almost caused death, but also knowing several who came through it as if it was a common cold... I made the decision yesterday afternoon and had my 2 year old take the flu mist for swine. So far so good.

I hope any of you other parents can take some of what I contemplated and wrote in this post to help inform yourself also and make the best decision you can. All of the media hype on things these days really make it difficult to discern truth from bias... and it gets frustrating making health decisions for our children...

good luck and prayers up for all the young ones.

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you have a young child? :) ok, any particular reason why?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Yes, 2 year old, because the Dr recommended it. Considering I crunch numbers for a living, I'm going to have to trust the doctor on this one.

Oh and we have a pregnant family member that we see regularly.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I asked my son's (6 years old) pediatrician about it at his check-up a week or so ago. She's only recommending it for kid's age 2-5 because of the availability of the vaccine. So my son doesn't qualify, even if I wanted him to have it. Can anyone say "rationing"?

TW

·
Don't ask if you don't want the truth.
13,305 Posts
Mine are 10, 12 and 17.

The most severe cases seem to surround those with underlying health issues aside from the flu symptoms alone.

I suppose if they had underlying respiratory issues, we would give it more consideration.

Interesting to see where everyone else stands.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
We're going to do it for our 10 month old. 6-24 month olds are particularly at risk.

You hear a lot of conflicting info about this, and we've been debating it.

But the bottom line, we are trusting our pediatrician. She said that she has been doing tons of research because she had major concerns, but she has come to the conclusion that the risk of getting the swine flu is much worse than the possible risks with the vaccine, in her opinion.

You hear a lot about kids who got swine flu and it was "no big deal", but if it becomes life-threatening in 5% of kids that get it, that is way too much.

Our doctor put it this way...one month ago she was advising not to get it until she had more info. Now that she has more info (both about the safety of the vaccine and the risk of getting the flu) she is 10000% for it.

Overall, I'd suggest talking to your child's pediatrician and making a decision....don't let talk around the water cooler (or 2cool I suppose) make it for you.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
No, not even the regular flu vacine

Seasonal Flu infor

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=92345&catid=158#

ASHBURN, Va. (WUSA) -- Many of you have been lining up to get the seasonal flu shot. But there is one Ashburn woman who wants you to hear her story before you do.
Desiree Jennings is trapped in her body. Intellectually she's all there, but her muscles are fighting each other. She's been diagnosed with dystonia, an extremely rare and debilitating neurological disease
FOLLOW UP: Doctors Agree
She says after taking the seasonal flu shot she witnessed her body's rapid decline. She doesn't know what else it could be but she has serious questions about the seasonal flu shot. The Centers for Disease Control cannot comment on her case.
Desiree was a healthy 25-year-old up until two months ago, working at AOL and as a Redskins cheerleading ambassador.
But her world has now been turned upside down.
Desiree has trouble talking and speaks in a staccato rhythm.
She says, "It's a battle every day because when I wake up I think it's going to be normal, but then I'm quickly reminded that's not going to be the case."
She says 10 days after getting a seasonal flu shot at a Reston grocery store in August, and on her second wedding anniversary, she got sick. First, she came down with flu like symptoms, then convulsions and blacking out.
She's seen more than 60 doctors. She says all of them were stumped until Johns Hopkins diagnosed her with dystonia. She believes her seasonal flu shot triggered it.
Desiree says, "Nothing else explains such a fast moving neurological damage. The medical hospitals ruled out everything, CAT scans normal, blood normal, MRI normal. The only thing that explains it is the shot caused the neurologic damage."
She says it is a strange disorder where muscles work against each other. She can't walk forward, only backwards. She can run, but she can't stop without help. She can whisper but has difficulty speaking. Noises can cause convulsions. Her resting heart rate is 90. When she runs her blood pressure dips to 58. She gets exhausted walking a few steps but she could run for hours.
Drugs such as valium and klonopin that make other people sleepy give her energy for hours.
Simple exercises become nearly impossible.
Desiree's husband, Brendan, says, "It gets worse everyday. It's heartbreaking to see."
Desiree says the disease is irreversible. Once she loses an ability it doesn't come back. She says there are only three ways you can get dystonia as an adult and they include head trauma, drug use, and poisoning. She says she has not experienced any of that.
There is no cure. One in a million are diagnosed with the disease. She says she just wants healthy people to talk to their doctors and weigh the risk.
While the Centers for Disease Control cannot comment directly on this case, they say they have no knowledge of a link between the seasonal flu shot and dystonia.
Written by Surae Chinn
9NEWS NOW & wusa9.com

Source http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/11/25/does-the-flu-shot-even-work.aspx
In addition to mercury, flu vaccines also contain other toxic or hazardous ingredients like:

Aluminum -- a neurotoxin that has been linked to Alzheimer's disease

Triton X-100 -- a detergent

Phenol (carbolic acid)

Ethylene glycol (antifreeze)

Betapropiolactone - a disinfectant

Nonoxynol - used to kill or stop growth of STDs

Octoxinol 9 - a female spermicide

Sodium phosphate

·
Registered
11,909 Posts
I say no but my son tested positive for h1n1 on monday. He had high fever for a day and half off and on. It wasn't a constant high fever. Doc ordered him on tamiflu which was fun in its self to try and find a pharmacy that had it. Wound up paying extra cause the compound was all that was available. He had the seasonal flu vaccine about a month ago. Other cases the doc told us about were where parents don't listen to their kids and wait too long to take them in. Wondering why they are almost dying. Sad.

·
You mean... beyond pacifism?
1,122 Posts
I heard about that. I stopped getting flu shots a long time ago. I always got sick a week or so after getting them. oh, and i have 3 kids between 2.5-7, and they will not be getting them.

·
Registered
11,909 Posts
another thing, if you think your child has it, don't let them test. Just take the meds and treat. Sticking that big arse stick up their nose just ain't right. :mad:

·
**Follow me to certain death**
1,015 Posts
I got the flu shot, and Im am jus...............sdsdffsfghhhhhhhhlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

·
Saltmadness
13,573 Posts
My daughter is confused as hell wether to get my 2 year old grandbaby the shot. Also from hearing the horror stories it skeers me the same for her.

·
Know it, Love it, Kill it, and Grill it!
1,838 Posts
The answer is yes in my household. With my wife beeing a RN in the ER we feel as though we should be safe. My wife has been seeing at least a dozen people a day with one form or another of the flu. They all recieved the H1N1 Vac. this evening. It is easy to find if you know were to look. But I still won't get it, every year that I have I get the Flu. But that is just me.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
No, 3 & 6 year olds. I did not have them when I was a child, do not need the now. Never had them never will. I have not had the fluein over 10 years. Everyone I know who has got the shot got the Flu any way.Go figure. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'm in the healthcare field. Disclaimer: I'm on 2 weeks vacation... so I've just had a couple of cold ones. Since I had a heart attack and triple bypass 10 yrs ago at age 45, I don't take the chance of catching flu, and DO get flu-shots. Real flu will make you feel like your dying or wish you were!
This one, with all the immigration, has the potential to be a big one.

That up-your-nose thing gives you a tiny flu, and you can shed viruses to other susceptible people. Apparently they only give it until age 49, so I gotta wait for the killed virus shot-- will do.

Up here in DFW we're getting some deaths ..... kids and late 50s. Some kids have gotten real sick and were cured with a bypass type machine for their blood (pretty fancy equipment, not everywhere, called ECP). Pretty scary.
If my kids were young they'd be getting it (flumist). My youngest is 21 so roll the dice.
Yes, I was working back in '79 when we put 'em on the ventilator 'cause of the flu shot and Guillain Barre. It was not pretty.

BB

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
my kids aren't exactly young anymore - 15 and 17 - but the swine flu doesn't appear to be any worse than any other flu, and, more importantly, i'm not convinced that flu vaccines are safe and effective.
How about the Polio vaccine, is not not safe and effective? How about chicken pox vaccine? These are both viruses..
Nothing in life is without risks, but show me any credible data that supports your opinion.
All flu vaccines are created each year quickly, because first it must be determined which strains are in the population before they can manufacture the vaccine.
Millions of people have flu vaccines every year without adverse side effects. To argue that the H1N1 vaccine is not safe and effective is just reactionary and ignorant.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts