2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of 2004 Suzuki 140's. One engine sometimes idles fast like the throttle is struck and them sometimes dies while when the throttle is returned to the idle/neutral position. Other than this nuisance, it runs great. I have checked all cables/linkage and they operate fine, nothing sticking. When itis idling fast, it is a smooth idle, not rough. I already checked the idle air screw and checked the adjustment. Fuel filter on the engine is clean and water separators/filters are used on both engines. From the odd behavior, I thought maybe electrical/computer related or some trash somewhere in the system or a sensor somehwere. Sometimes the engine runs perfectly fine at idle. I bought the shop manual but it didn't help solve the problem. Anyone have any ides where to look?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
on your shifter , press the side button and release the cable then go to natural and reset the cable - 4 sec job --- open the cowling and spray lubricate all parts that move when throttle is moved .. make sure bulb is tight when you have a problem. you engine is so good , it is always going to be a minor corrosion that will give you your next problem. make sure you rinse the shifter under cowling also or the shifter may act up and you lose reverse or forward ..

related topic below ..do it while motor off , avoid shifting while motor is off unless you have someone turn the prop

your shifter has corrosion on it due to lack of lubricant or you not rinsing the area . have some body shift and look for a piece a metal moving outside under the cowling that needs to be rinsed and lubricated if your boat is parked for more than 30 days in salt water exposer. enclosed is the pic of the area

Attached Images

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already checked all cabling and also checked position of all cabling at the engine with engine running which is why I am guessing electrical/sensor or something floating around in a passage somewhere. Also, while a sticky cable might cause the engine to idle higher than usual when the throttle is in the neutral position, it wouldn't cause the engine to die since there is a stop for minimum idle speed along with the air screw. Sometimes the engine revs higher than normal when inthe neutral position, sometimes it acts normal and sometimes, it just dies. No problem running at speed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a throttle postition sensor at idle position, it is just a switch and I suppose that it could be misbehaving while running with vibration, etc... I checked it with a meter but with the engine not running.. I suppose I can just buy another one and put it in. I hope that is the culprit because it is an easy fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts