2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive' had it!!!
The dag dumb door on my older model SUV has trouble closing. I have to SLAM it to get it to close. When I was trying to close it from the inside the other day, I ripped the *%&^$* arm rest off the door!!!
Is there a way to fix the door so it will close smoothly?
It sort of hangs down and scrapes the door frame when I try to close it. I have tried tightning the door henge screws but that did nothing.
Some advise please!!!

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
yeah, get a new suv. :) older ones have heavy doors, like the old chevy blazers and subs. I had one and the only way to fix it was to have a body shop shim it up

·
The Duck of Death
2,247 Posts
Capt Kat said:
When I was trying to close it from the inside the other day, I ripped the *%&^$* arm rest off the door!!!
QUOTE]

I got some advice - DONT mess around with Kay. yipes

Regular Dave

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
you prolly need to replace the door pin bushings.

look at the door pins and on the car side of the hinge, there should be a bushing. I would bet they are worn out or completely gone.

easiest way to do it is to replace the pins and bushings at the same time. It's not difficult, but it is time consuming.

·
Registered
611 Posts
You may need to losen the door screws lift the door and tighten back down. Sounds like it may have sagged on you a little bit. That would happen a lot with the 2 door vehicles that had the long doors after a while they would sagg. Can also be caused by kids leaning on the door while its open. Not sure how to get it straight like it was originaly maybe just play around with it till you get it close enough.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Kat. Do not try to replace the hinge pins & bushings yourself, especially if you have wiring going into the door(power windows or door locks). Take it to a body shop it's a whole lot less painfull & not that expensive !!!!

G

·
You Are Going To Need To Have The Both Hinge Pins And All Four Bushings.hope You Didn't Wear The Hinges Out.i Usually Get Around 100.00 To 150.00 Depending On How Bad Of Shape They Are In.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bushings

Where would the bushings be?? Are they the little round rollers that sit on the hinges??

What about taking a jack and pushing the door up? would that just make it worse??

K.SCHACKAI said:
You Are Going To Need To Have The Both Hinge Pins And All Four Bushings.hope You Didn't Wear The Hinges Out.i Usually Get Around 100.00 To 150.00 Depending On How Bad Of Shape They Are In.

G

·
The Bushings Go On The Pins.the Rolloer Is Made On To The Lower Pin That Has Nothing To Do With Sagging Of The Door.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Find you an old timer body man He can fix it in two min. flat. It happened to my car years ago and he fixed it with a socket. He put it on the nut on the top door hinge (body side) and pushed the door shut not all the way just a little at a time. Remove the socket and close the door. Repeat until it closes smoothly. He told me that the door frame would bend over time at the hinges from extra weight on them when they are open. I hope this will help.

MarkN

G

·
Putting A Socket In The May Help.but The Way It Sounds The Pins And Bushings Are Shot.i Work In A Chevy Body Shop Iu See This A Lot With The Old Body Style.the Doors Are To Heavy To For The Pins And Bushings.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hope this isn't too far afield, but what about the back/passenger doors on newer ('01) model Suburbans? We have a similar problem, the door is real hard to push shut, and sounds like dry metal on metal. No, it's never been hit on that side.

JB

·
Registered
376 Posts
Grab your door on the trailing edge and heave up on it while watching the hinges. You will be able to see where the slack is. Most likely in the pins and bushings as stated above. If there is no slack at all then you will need to adjust the hinges where they bolt onto the body. After realigning the door, you may need to give the striker pin some attention. Let us know what you find.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts