2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mr do it all.
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone every had surgery for a tail bone cyst? aka polydonyl cyst? The doctor want's to remove it ASAP said it's into my back bone almost.

I heard it's a rough go due to location (cant sit on my butt)?

Doctors anyone else ever had it?

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
is it abscessed? is it recurring? what kind of surgery did he say he was going to do? depending on what kind of problems you're having, this is often something that can be taken care of in the office with local anesthesia. usually, surgery under general anesthesia isn't done unless it's a recurring problem causing recurring infections.

it's called a pilonidal cyst, and they're usually composed of hair (ingrown), dead skin cells and such. alone, they aren't really much of a concern, but they have a tendency to get abscessed, which is serious.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
have you youtubed this surgery..... wow..... my doc sent me to the orange building on 146 to get it removed. after seeing the surgery and reading comments about worse then child birth.... ill pass...... at least untill it hurts to bad

·
Mr do it all.
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh it's recurring alright!! every other day recurring...does not really hurt bad just annoying if you can foresee the left out details.I am sure you know what it does.

It's causing my back to hurt now and wrapped itself onto a nerve I think

is it abscessed? is it recurring? what kind of surgery did he say he was going to do? depending on what kind of problems you're having, this is often something that can be taken care of in the office with local anesthesia. usually, surgery under general anesthesia isn't done unless it's a recurring problem causing recurring infections.

it's called a pilonidal cyst, and they're usually composed of hair (ingrown), dead skin cells and such. alone, they aren't really much of a concern, but they have a tendency to get abscessed, which is serious.

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
oh it's recurring alright!! every other day recurring...does not really hurt bad just annoying if you can foresee the left out details.I am sure you know what it does.

It's causing my back to hurt now and wrapped itself onto a nerve I think
yeah, if it is impinging on a nerve it's going to be major surgery under general anesthesia, and that's going to be ... a pain in the butt. :)

recovery time depends a lot on how much soft tissue (skin, muscle, nerve, etc.) he has to disturb (cut through) to get to it and remove it, and the type of surgery he performs.

sometimes, the surgeon will close the wound after surgery with stitches, which heals much faster but has a much higher rate of cyst recurrence, or leave the wound open, which takes much longer to heal, but has a much lower rate of recurrence, too.

it doesn't sound like you have a lot of choice here, so you might as well just get it done and overwith. after you've recovered, you'll be glad you did.

you're still young, so you'll do fine. good luck.

·
Maker of laser engraved switch panels
3,766 Posts
Not fun, wish you luck. I know of a woman who has a spinal cord injury and has had to have surgery on her tail bone 3 times. Once, then years later a second, the second got infected and had problems and needed a third. She was in the hospital for around 2 months. I'm sure her problems were compounded by the lack of ability due to the spinal injury. I hope your surgery is less than what her's was, and that you recover quickly.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
almost all removal procedures now are done by leaving the "big whole" / wound open. it requires dressing changes/cleanings daily. someone has to pack the dressing in every day. it stays open for months....

·
Mr do it all.
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok big bad arse me is about to clicks away from saying forget it.....wow.....I cannot be out of work.I got family to take care of but wife has good job. It's been bothering me for 2 years now solid but always have had it.

wow a couple months open? holy cow!!!

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
I would not delay in getting it done. You will create further risks & potential complications the longer you wait. This sounds like an Outpatient procedure & you will be home laying on the couch (sideways) eating Percodan that evening (don't settle for Vicodin). Get your self a heavy duty 'doughnut' to sit on for a few weeks. Sounds like an unavoidable pain in the arse. You'll do fine. ;)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Our son had it done his Junior year at A&M. Surgery lasted about 2 or 3 hours. He had the surgery on Friday afternoon and was able to go back to class on Monday. He couldn't move real fast so had to head to classes earlier. He carried one of those donuts to sit on for about a week. I rented one of handicap potty seats for him that fit over your regular potty and he said that was a lifesaver. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I am no doctor, but this is not going to get better on its own. Probably just get worse with time then you would have wished you had the surgery.

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
Get it done and over with amigo. I'll pray for you for a speedy recovery.

·
Mr do it all.
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am gonna get it done. Went to the docs and Bull Fish hooked me up with a surgeon prospect. My job permits allot of lifting so ripping it open daily has gotten old FAST.....

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
I JUST HAD THE MAIN VEIN IN MY RIGHT LEG REMOVED AFTER IT WAS LASSERED JUST NOW GETTING BACK TO NORMAL, GOING BACK ON THE 13TH FOR THE FINIAL CLEAN UP, THE SURGEON TOLD ME I HAD BLOOD IN THAT VEIN THAT WAS WELL OVER 30 YEARS OLD AND HAD NEVER MOVED, IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE SENT BACK TO THE HEART ON A CONTINUAL BASIC, BUT MINE HAD BEEN JUST SITTING THERE DOING NOTHING BUT GETTING BIGGER, ALMOST TO THE POINT OF RUPUTURE, LEG FEELS MUCH BETTER WITHOUT THE MAIN VEIN, THE SIZE OF MY LEG IS MUCH SMALLER NOW COMPARED TO WHAT IT WAS, COURSE I HAVE A LITTLE SORNESS BUT NOTHING LIKE I WAS GOING THRU .
THE SURGEON SHOWED ME WHAT BLOOD THAT CLOGS LOOKS LIKE , NOT VERY ATTRACTIVE AND WHEN HE TOLD ME THAT IT WAS READY TO RUPUTURE I KNEW IT WAS TIME, STUFF HAPPENS WHEN YOU GET ON THE LONG TRAIL HOME.
STIX

1 - 20 of 21 Posts