2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here is the deal. Yesterday, (tuesday) i decided to make a day of it and go fishing in the surf with the wife. We are still misplaced from the storm but , i have not fished in 3 weeks. So , My wife, and i , and 2 Surf rods, and two ultralight rods hit the surf. we did not get there till about 11:30 am, the tide was out, and the water was perfect. The wind was great, and it was a beautiful day on the water. i set out two surfrods with live mullet i got from the surf and used dead shrimp on the other rods. we picked up the usual trashy fish, and not a bull red to speak of on surfrods. I really did not care i just wanted to be back out fishing again , the tide , was out but starting to come back in about 2 pm or so. here is the important part. As far as i could tell , all of surfside is open , no one stopped us on the bridge and i saw saltgrass and the other baitshop open. Valero is not open so get all your stuff at buc-ees or bring it from home. I know i dont have to tell you guys and gals, this, but just remember, its our home, down there, and please respect that. So dont get mad or upset if , we messed your fishing hole, or you cant get to a spot that you want to fish. Soon enough this will all be behind us . and all will back to normal. I dont think you can get to christmas bay, so i would not try it. remember, if you one direction on bluewater highway, and the tide comes up before you come back you might have to drive your truck in the surf to get back . (just a hint). anyway we had a great day, it was not full of fish, but, i got to fish. so that is great. the pier, is still intact and i bet today would be on fire. if i were to go fishing by myself, i would take my flyrod, i would fish the first gut about 4 till dark. and i think i could do very well. the mullet are thick in surf, and there was some bait getting busted as i was leaving about 3;30 or so yesteday, but , the wife was ready to call it a day so i called it a day.
Here are some tips from me, i hope they help:
the beach has some new texture to it. as you drive down the beach you will see some new holes and dips, those dip have created some awsome places to fish. What has happened is the new holes are up on the beach, mullet get trapped and get pushed in and out of the hole to the surf. that makes a ambush spot for the trout and reds, and makes a great spot to sightcast trout. or reds with a flyrod in ankle deep water. my wife and i watched a red ambush some mullet as they were getting washed up on the beach and coming out of hole. you will just have to see it to understand.
also, the fisrt gut from the a frames to the peir is awsome, it is a solid waist deep on low tide, i bet , on high tide it fills up great, and is full of fish. i would concentrate on the gut, if you fish from the old sams pier to the aframes.
All the old spots i have not explored yet, carbodies, transformers, ********, boilers, and of coarse, jr's left, is no longer existent. The bulk head i used to fish, and the slot, in front of my house is gone. If you have any questions please feel free to pm me. i will happy to give info.
good luck and tight lines,
see you on the water.
also, be very care-ful out there, there is alot of change.......even you veterans need to be aware.

ssp.

p.s. October 7 is my new date at the LJ Civic Center. hope to see you there.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
As always thanks for the update. Great to hear you and the misses went out for a day of fishng. Also glad to hear you and the misses are OK. Good luck on the election.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Thanks for the info Jason
Looks like I may come down to fish earlier than I thought

Question??? Are the Surfside jetties open now?

·
Registered
40 Posts
We really appreciate your thorough, unselfish and detailed reports. Wish you and all of Surfside a quick recovery.

I am excited to explore the "new" beachfront and find all the unique honey-holes.

Be Safe & God Bless!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bars are defined, guts as well. i am going to attempt to fish tonight, the water looked good , and i bet trout are still around. water cooled down a little.
i might try to throw a topwater fly, over the first gut drop off. well just have to see.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Justin- glad to hear that you are doing well and doing again what you enjoy doing so much. Hope to make it down there soon; I need to meet with the insurance adjuster, anyway. Rob

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was down there today at beach entrance #3 (which is no longer there) fishing. The access road is gone but you can still get on the beach. People have been driving across some soft sand just east of the access road and it can easily be driven through in a 2wd truck. Once you're on the beach it's hard packed sand and easy driving.

SSP, you're correct in that the terrain has changed. I got there at low tide today and noticed that the guts seem to be deeper, the sandbars are more defined and there are some small cuts in the first bar that offer good ambush points. There are also some nice holes formed that trap the mullet and mud minnows for easily castnetting bait.

We ended up with 3 bullsharks between 4'-5' and 2 big stingrays, all released. No bullreds today. I think they're out of casting distance.

Please be careful driving down blue water hwy, the road has some areas that are badly washed out and severe erosion. You can easily drive around the holes in the road, just keep your eyes on the road and not on the damaged houses.

I'll be out there Sat. around access #3 in a white F150 fishing longrods. Stop by and say hello if you're out that way.
rjr

·
NRA Life/Endowment member, 49yrs.
1,890 Posts
Jason,

Glad you're OK...Thanks for the report. Glad the bridge is open too.

I was wondering if the fish from the beach are safe to eat?...Any opinions?...(silly question to ask 2Coolers, eh?)

Frank

·
Registered
121 Posts
Lets go

Thanks for the report. Sounds like everybody is having fishin fever. I'm planning a weekend trip and would like to know if the boat ramp next to surfside bridge is open. I think it's bridge bait tackle. If not, is there another ramp for a 21' boat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts