2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took the yak out with a buddy this mornin (the 11th) we caught a bunch of dink trout and a few 18-22s for the stringer. I caught a 33" jack on my 3rd cast using a small saltwater assassin and 12 pound test (no leader) he almost spooled me but luckly i got my anchor up and he dragged me around for about 45 min. Man was it exciting! this is my first jack and my biggest fish on light tackle! we had a great morning!

Attachments

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,427 Posts
That is one big Jack on light tackle. Those things just don't quit do they? My dad caught one about that size two years ago using 30 lb. test and he almost got spooled. Drug us all over Port O'Connor in a 19' bay boat. That must have been one heck of a ride in a kayak. If only they were good to eat.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, I still cant believe i won the battle! If they were good eating I would have a heck of a lot of steaks right now. I would say he drug me for about a mile. I am going back to fish the same area today so hopfully I will have more pictures for yall.

·
Registered
253 Posts
AO, most people say they are nasty but I caught a 38 pounder on light tackle a couple of summers ago and we made steaks out of him. They have very dark meat and if you smoke them right they taste very good!

·
Husband First, Fisherman Second...
1,988 Posts
There you go Artificial. I'm hoping to have the same luck this afternoon. I'm heading out to run between Sabine Pass and Crystal Beach at 5ish. Taking the long rod with me to see if I can get a trout on fly. I'll be wading today, but saturday we'll be kayaked up. Good going, good pictures.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Ao

Were you able to revive that beast? The last one I caught on light tackle croaked. I tried for at least thirty minutes to get it going but it went belly up.

Anyway, nice day on the water for sure. Those jacks are fun to catch, sort of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts