2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first time I have been out since February. I got busy in the early Spring then my back went out on me just before a PINS trip. I stayed crooked for 2 months. After some physical therapy and a little exercise my back is doing a lot better. However, it is still not 100%.

Anyway, I took off to the Surfside Jetty this morning alone. Its hard to find someone who will fish with me during the week. I took a rod for Spanish Macs and I took one for Kings.

I started out throwing my kingfish rig and caught a fair sized Mac on the first cast. The second cast got me a jack fish. After that I had another jackfish on my 4th cast. Those jackfish really put a strain on my back and really wore me out. I actually stopped fishing for awhile hoping the jacks would leave. After a rest break, I cast and hooked up to another jack. This one cut me off on a rock.....I didn't care either. I like catching jacks, but I didn't want to start my day off exhausted since I had a few more hours ahead of me. Plus, I could already feel a strain on my back.

The smallest of two jacks.

After about an hour, I saw a king go airborn at my lure. I missed this one, but, I quickly caught my 2 fish limit.

Since I had my two kings, I went back to throwing a 1/2 oz. spoon for Spanish Macs. I hooked into a small king or a large Spanish. Nedless to say, the 10 lb. mono was leaving the spool from my Curado rather quickly. I finally got it stopped but it cut me off on a rock. I eventually caught one more Spanish. I could have caught more, but my back was tightening up bad, so I packed up and came home. Everyone who fished live bait caught a good mess of Spanish though.

I tried something I never tried before. It is called skip jigging. You can do it with a spoon, but they make a metal spoon-like lure just for that purpose. You start reeling as soon as the metal hits the water, and you crank it fast enough to skip across the top. I caught the jacks and the kings using this technique. It was exciting to watch them grab it. I got some really good airiels from the kings. I fished it down for awhile, but this was the prefered method to entice them.

Until next time! Whenever that will be.LOL!

·
Registered
21 Posts
nice day, good job. we're hopin to get in the water this evening. hope its good then too.

·
"Bring me a menu and a bucket........"
2,347 Posts
That is awesome. I never heard of anyone going to the jetties to specifically target kings. Do you do this often? What are you throwing and how far are you throwing it for the kings?

I hope your back gets feeling better.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When the water is a nice green to blue, there is a chance you can catch them there. Sometimes they are there and sometimes they are not. I have caught them in October, but have seen them caught there as late as Thanksgiving weekend.

A lot of people free-line a mullet for them. This morning, I threw something called a skip jig. It is a lot like a spoon, but you reel it in fast enough so it will skip across the top of the water. This morning, they preferred it like this, plus, you get some really good explosions and airiels.

Next time the water is flat, give it a try. That might be tommorrow.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Is there a brand name for that skipping spoon and where you can get them. I'm going out to East Banks on Weds. weather permitting for some King and Shark action. I've been using Gotcha jigs for over ten years very successfully. I'd like to try something new.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fishnfurlife said:
Is there a brand name for that skipping spoon and where you can get them. I'm going out to East Banks on Weds. weather permitting for some King and Shark action. I've been using Gotcha jigs for over ten years very successfully. I'd like to try something new.
They look like these. I got mine at Cut Rate. They are flat on one side and kind of diamond shaped on the other. They are designed so they will lift easily as you reel them. A Crocadile spoon can do the same thing but they cause a lot more drag making you work harder to get them to the top.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
hey calvin the spanish and king were everywhere.....
Quangs brother caught a king on a mirrolure....
we all caught a mess of spanish macs....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts