2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Lazy Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down to check it out Saturday--Surfside first. I timed it so that it was just before sunrise when I got there, a good idea. The good way to get onto the beach past Surfside city is just past the last house at the city limits. I didn't do this of course, I went down to San Luis village where there was a roadblock what wasn't manned at this hour, but there was also one at the beach which was so I turned around. The road was washed out in a couple of places. This will all change soon of course, but for your first trip go in daylight and at lower tide. There was no bait in the surf or anything alive as far as I could tell, all I caught in the net was what looked like grass clippings. Fished Gulps for an hour, then went to Bryan. Stopped at the Saltgrass bait shop on the way, they were doing a brisk business. At Bryan there is a deep sand field at the entrance (fm 1492?) which wasn't bad for me with 4WD jeep, but uncertain for 2wd. Did get some surf mullet close to here, fished longrods until 1PM catching bigger size whiting. Went down to the MOB, it was low tide so no problem, looked like it would be tricky at high tide. There are some ponds and channels to drive through, in general there are still some dunes, but they are cut back 50-100 yards. The "DO NOT DREDGE" sign is standing tall, there are pipes and stuff sticking up from the beach here, go close to the sign. Got more mullet at the mouth of the Brazos, fished till 4:30 but not much going on (bluefish). Catch of the Day was a toddler's sand bucket which had set sail across the Brazos, with my cast net. Still and all, it was a really nice day at the beach.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts