2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Boatright custom flats
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got to the surf at 5pm with a bucket of live shrimp. First cast within 2 minutes produced a nice 18" speck. Every cast after that, until I ran out of shrimp was FISH ON. Ended up with a mess of specks and some magnum sized whiting, along with a couple of nice macks. Fished from 5pm till about 6:45. People fishing to my left and to my right weren't catching diddly for some reason. As I put each fish on the stringer, the urge for them to potlick overcame them as they scooted closer each time I cast. By the time I was out of bait, I had fisherman to my left and to my right elbow to elbow. They just glared at me as I hauled out a 50# stringer of fish,
. Ran out of shrimp, and went back with lures....sand eels, speck rigs, mirrolures, spoons......notta. Not even a bump, but the fish were still there. Saw several big macks launching out of the water, scattering mullet as they left the surface. A few sharks were doing the same about 100 yds further out. Fishing was outstanding, as it has been all week. Bait was everywhere and the water was crystal clear. Call it what you will for using live bait. The guys chunking plastics and every other lure sold at Academy went home with notta where I was fishing.
Finally got some pics of one of my trips. Hope this weekends weather holds up. I'll be back tomorrow for some more action.

Tight lines
Jeff

OH! I caught all of these fish on a rod I just bought from a fellow 2cooler. I was using a 7' Castaway Redfish Special w/a Curado. Musta been some mojo left over on it???

Attachments

Reactions: boom!

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
lure is not to catch fish . it is to catch the fisherman.lol . or he wouldnt pay $5 for one of those things ..
nice report .

·
Boatright custom flats
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've actually done very well in the past with lures, especially in these kind of conditions in the surf. But, the fish this week, for whatever reason, prefer live shrimp. I actually hate buying shrimp, but if that's what it takes, I'm game.

boashna said:
lure is not to catch fish . it is to catch the fisherman.lol . or he wouldnt pay $5 for one of those things ..
nice report .

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Yeah, we just used lures. I guess this theory of the Gulps being as good as live shrimp just ain't true. What access road were you fishing?

·
Boatright custom flats
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yesterday was access 4. All week, I've fished from access 3 to almost all the way to the end towards SLP. Water clarity seems better though further away from the pass.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You are alot nicer than me, if someone I dont know is potlicking and is within reach of one of my casts, then they are too close and are subject to as much torment as I can give them. if people wont honor another mans spot on their own, then they need to be chastized until they get the picture. there is plenty of water out there for everyone.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Great catch of fish. Nice variety !!!!
The small DOA with pink tails, under a small popping cork do as well as the live shrimp do !!!

·
They call me............PAWPAW!
3,020 Posts
Great trip and report! We're gonna give a shot Saturday evening, prolly go out around the end of the jetties and anchor up outside the sandbars. Would REALLY like some BT shark steaks! And it wouldn't hurt to string up a few spotted-dotteds along the way!!

·
Boatright custom flats
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TexAg07 said:
Nice!!! Popping cork or freelined?
No cork, just a little split shot for castability and that was it.

You are alot nicer than me, if someone I dont know is potlicking and is within reach of one of my casts, then they are too close and are subject to as much torment as I can give them. if people wont honor another mans spot on their own, then they need to be chastized until they get the picture. there is plenty of water out there for everyone
Ya well, I'da been p.o.'d, but they weren't catching anything at all....is that a potlicking wannabe? LOL. That's bad.

·
Registered
647 Posts
call it potlicking if you want, when you consider the man hrs. put in fishing, there really truely are very few fish caught. when you are on fish, why not wave others in. at least that way you can control their approach without messing up your honey hole. i make it a habit to do this. believe me, when you wave someone in, they take extra care not to mess you up. wednesday morning their were 26 people within 50 yards of each other at sams pier, i did not see a problem, except for the lady that hung her butt overboard and *****'d in the water.

just my thoughts

·
Member & custom beer can crusher
28 Posts
Personally, my pride would be hurt if I was intruding on another man's fishing spot. If you can't find your own spot to fish and catch fish....don't go. I don't know what some people are thinking when they try to shimmy over to someone else's spot.

·
JR
307 Posts
that's how it is every year..!! I've had people see me out in the surf with my rod bent, jump out the car/truck, come get elbow with me and notta.!! look at them with a smile say, "Good Luck" walk back to the truck my limit and laugh!! they have no clue, or they are just to prideful to use LIVE/B when it's the answer!! nice catch this weekend should be awesome........

·
Registered
11,997 Posts
I fished access 4 and only came out with 2 keeper trout useing a topwater. I was throwing soft plastics and only came up with dinks. I wanted to buy shirmp buy didn't. Sounds like I should have.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I picked up more bites yesterday evening freelining the Gulps, too. Only one hit under a cork. Maybe a bubble cork will be the ticket. Hmmm, choices, choices.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts