2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I appreciate everyone's input but I decided to take a run down there for myself and check things out first hand. I'm glad I did. It was a nice day and a pleasant drive down. I took these pics about halfway between Acces rds 5 and 6 The beach is in good shape as the pics below will confirm. The water is sandy brown but not muddy. Lots and lots of BIG driftwood is moved way up on the beach and there is no powder. Tides got all the way to where the dunes swell. Where I took the pics it looked like it got within 20 feet of the road and around Access road 3 the water did go over the road

Not counting any unhatched chickens but I may even pull some fish out of the waves. I expect that the tide will have receeded even more bt the time I get back down there tomorrow.

If the conditions that are forecast for the coming weekend hold then my plans to hit early afternoon Friday afternoon and hang till late Sunday or Monday are still on the front burner. I will post final plan tomorrow morning.

#1. About halfway between 5 and 6 looking west.
#2. About halfway between 5 and 6 looking east.
#3. from the dunes, the approximate point of highest tide.
#4. Some of that large dirftwood I mentioned above.
#5. I had to stop by Bridge Bait and Tackle and see how they made out. I didn't get out and talk to any one but they are open for business and there were several trailers parked in the parking lot. This shot will give you a visual of the tide level there. I can only speculate how high it got before it stated to come back down.

All in all it looks like Surfside/Freeport made out better than Galveston, at least as far as beaches go.

Attachments

·
Just Happy to Be Here!
4,188 Posts
Hi WJ,

It looks beautiful....like a cleansing. We were down there last weekend or the weekend before--can't remember, but the logs (trees), sticks, trash, weeds, etc. were everywhere.

Looks like you'll have a wonderful place to camp.

As for the fishing, I dunno. We've gone down there so many times this summer, and gotten skunked.

For grins, we're going to High Island this weekend. I have been reading all the posts like this one: http://2coolfishing.net/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=6871

and I just have to go get in on that action! I got word that Baxter and a few of his friends will be camping over there as well.

Want a change of venue? We're not camping, but Baxter would welcome your shoes! LOL (Actually, he's growing up quite nicely.)

Regards,
Pam

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Pam! I hope y'all get some good action! Me? I'm stickin' to my plan. Surfside Beach between Access RDs 5 and 6. If things don't work out for you guys over there well then y'all just whip on by and have a cup a coffee with me. I'll bring a little something for Baxter to work out on...just in case. :D

Phins, you're right!! I won't need to take 4 large garbage bags with me this time to hold all the mess I pick up out of my "yard" Just one bag for the stuff I generate and that won't be too much at all. It will feel funny not spending time picking up all that rubish but I'll just have to cope, I suppose. LOL!

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Funny

MEGABITE said:
Did ya go have a cool one at Bridge Bait on the deck? :D

I love kicking back there during the midday sun after a morning wade...

MEGA
I have done that a time or two. I even made a special trip from Houston once to do just that. Took the kids and watched the boats come in from offshore. Had a cold one and watched the boats unload at the cleaning table.

It gets pretty "salty" on that deck at times.

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PHINS said:
WJ I finally get to meet you in person this weekend. My Saturday plans include Surfside as of now. We'll see if it holds.
Cool beans, Phins! Look for a beige F150 and a maroon tent. I will be flyin' TTMB colors above my wind sock. Looking forward to meeting you!

·
Still a write in candidate HOMER '16
2,582 Posts
I never knew that there could be that much difference between 2 beachs less then 10 miles apart it is amazing how much impact man has had on the galveston side of the pass.
Jack great pics. I think you should send those over to TOBA to use in the legal battle. Just more proof that mother nature can take care of her self.

Josh

·
Grand Master of Thread Kill
1,591 Posts
thanx for the pix

& report mr jack. i was wondering what the conditions were down there. I don't trust the surfcams a whole lot.

i'm headed to the sand tomorrow! :brew: :fishy: :dance:

if i'm in the area i'll bring ya a chilly one.

·
Let's Go Fishin Boss!
7,913 Posts
Great Pics WJ

I agree with Neverenough, it is amazing the difference from one side of SLP to the other. I have mixed feeling on the development issue as I am one of those "idiots" who ownes a house (canal side so don't bite my head off please! :D ) on the west end of the island.

One of the most important reasons why I bought a house where I did was because it is only a 3 minute drive to the Rusty Hook entrance of the open beach area. Here I could drive on the beach and jump out anywhere of my choosing to chase specs in the surf. I stand firmly with our board on the support of TOBA.

My house is far from being a "mansion" but the cost of ownership is quite large. To give you an idea, I took out a 90% mortgage when I bought my house and the monthly escrow portion of my mortgage payment (i.e. taxes and flood/windstorm/homeowner's insurance) is larger than the principal and interest! And I can only predict that the flood insurance escrow portion will significantly increase due to the pounding of this summer's hurricanes.

As a residential real estate appraiser, I believe what might have the greatest impact on additional development on the west end of Galveston is the growing trend toward subdivisions not allowing properties to be rented for less than 30 days or longer at a time. By eliminating "vacation rentals" the incentive for investment properties is greatly reduced. This is already the case in certain sections of Spanish Grant and Bayou Vista! What are your thoughts?

Attachments

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's definitely a GO! I hope to be south bound by noonish.

Just took a peek and it looks even better every time I look. I have the shakes BIG TIME! Glad I did most of my organization yesterday and last night.

Hope to see some a y'all down there this weekend. even if you can't stay the week you can maybe pop down for a few hours? :D

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Interesting

Hullahopper said:
As a residential real estate appraiser, I believe what might have the greatest impact on additional development on the west end of Galveston is the growing trend toward subdivisions not allowing properties to be rented for less than 30 days or longer at a time. By eliminating "vacation rentals" the incentive for investment properties is greatly reduced. This is already the case in certain sections of Spanish Grant and Bayou Vista! What are your thoughts?
I think it would be real hard to get that to pass with areas on the west end. Alot of the homes are investment properties. The HOA's would have a hard time getting a resolution through. I think Bayou Vista is more of a permanent resident type community than most of the beach areas where many/most of the homes are rentals.

It is an interesting idea, though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts