2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the beach with a buddy, and we had an extremely slow evening bite. We were wading about a mile down from the Carbodies. Fished from about 5PM till dark. Threw Gulps, Norton Sand Eels (teq. gold) and topwaters. Got one 17" trout on the Gulp under a Cajun Thunder, one big 24" Spanish Mack free lined on the Gulp, and one 15.5" trout on the Norton Sand Eel. Lost one dink trout at my hand and missed a couple other strikes. Not much to speak of. Water started off pretty calm, but the wind picked up and it got choppy at about 6:30PM. Still fishable, but choppy. Still sandy green to the beach at dark. Outgoing tide probably didn't help the bite. Mullet and shad jumping everywhere.

The highlight of my trip was seeing a Kemp's Ridley sea turtle come about 30 feet away in the surf, look at me, and calmly swim away. He was checking me out, I guess. I've never seen one in person, so it was exciting. They are pretty cool looking, and bigger than I thought. We also had small cownose rays swimming around us and thru our legs. They were in schools of 10-20 in number and moving pretty fast in the water. Some of them startled me as they swam up on me right before dark. Kinda scary seeing a brownish animal approaching you at high speed under the water. Especially with a couple fish in the do-net.

Looks like the morning incoming tide fishing in the surf is the ticket. This is the 2nd time I've fished the outgoing in the evening since last year, and it was pretty slow both times.

If the surf stays small this weekend, it's probably going to be a zoo on the beach.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Yes...there are going to be HUNDRDS of people in the water and any live bait is going to be hard to find. Each summer..the crowds are going to really grow..along with inconsiderate boaters !!!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.