2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so the dawgs and I spent the Thanksgiving holiday on the Padre Island National Seashore...it was fabulous! No phones, no stores, no traffic, no running water, no electricity...gotta love it! Anyway, I had a blast and I cannot wait to get back down there.

While I was down there (in my kayak)...I was overwhelmed with the desire to fish the surf. I observed several surf fisherman with surf rod racks on their front bumpers, rod stands, etc. I saw a few anglers reel in some pretty cool Pompano. I am not sure what else they were catching. Nonetheless, what is the best surf rod/reel set-up for surf fishing?

I am a bay fisherwoman so I truly don't know that much about the best set-up for surf fishing unless of course the surf is flat (and I'm trout fishing)!!!! So, any help would be appreciated! I think that I could get into surf fishing - I'd just love some feedback on the proper gear! Thank you in advance.

I hope that you all had a blessed holiday weekend! Going back to work is brutal. I'd much rather be camping and fishing again!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Jen, I ran into a guy in Corpus on some sales calls with Breakaway Tackle Inc. This guy was quite a character named Nick Meyer. He makes surf rods and gear and supposedly ships it all over the world. His web site is www.breakawayusa.com. I have no affiliation with him since we sell wade fishing gear. You might investigate him or maybe some 2coolers have an opinion one way or another.
Get Your Grind On!

·
Cert.Weigh Master,since 1999
15,196 Posts
Get ya a few thin "leaf springs" off any / well almost any! vehicle!! If U know a welder, thats good. Weld a foot piece close to one end for jamming it into the sand a ways. Get a metal (small) container an weld it up higher to store ur cut baits. Attach a rod holder on top end. Springs will bend freely and automatically set a hook too. We used these in N.C. for years in the surf, on the beach itself.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Pretty much any reel about the size of an abu 6500 and a 9-11ft rod that will handle 4 ounces of weight. I use an Avet SX with 15# Big Game mainline with a topshot of 40# Big Game wrapped 5 times around the spool, and for the rod I use an 11ft,15-30# clas Penn Guide Surf Rod. Breakaway surf weights are king for throwing far, and for leaders, I just use double drops with small circle hooks, that way you don't have to set the hook. But when they come in close yuocan take an ultra light rod with a 1000 size spinning reel and have more fun with pomps and whiting than you ever have with trout. Also mono casts better than braid.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Jen,

this is Allen form FB, Surf fishing would require a couple different set ups. One you would need a good 9 or 10' surf casting rod for those bull and small sharks. I already recomended to you the Diawa sealine reels. Then if you want to catch the pompano, trout and smalller surf fishes I would say a good 7'6 or 8' casting mag bass style rod for that. ( tossing spoons, lures and some baits) and load it up with a Curado 300 or a Garcia 6500 or so. If you want to get serious with the sharks and plan on yaking out baits etc. A 100# class stand up rod loaded with a Penn 9/0 or 12/0 works well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'll have to go with the breakaway surf rods and daiwa sealine reels. Most of the time, in the surf, you'll need to be able to throw quite some distance to get into the fish (not all the time mind you, but most of the time.) Breakaway LDX and HDX rods are lightweight, strong and built specifically for distance casting. Pair them up with a sealine 30 sha and you're in business.

rjr

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Do you want to catch pompano or 6' sharks?
Surf rig could cover everything from ultra light and even fly all the way up to a 16/0 penn. The variety of fish in the surf has to be several orders of magnitude greater than the bay.

Do you want to cast? Lures, bait?
Do you want to swim/yak your bait out?
Do you want to stay in the water or pull up a lounge chair and sit?
Are your hands big enough to handle a large conventional reel?
etc.. etc.. You really need to narrow down your interests a little.

I always liked several rigs. A few 30lb rigs with big baits and reels with a lot of line capacity (hard for small hands to cast) for sitting and soaking. Then a "small" rod for smaller bait, lures (10' lci and 6500 ambassadeur with 15lb line). That was my "hardhead" rig. Then an ultra light (actually a flyrod with a spinning reel (6-8lb line) on it mostly for catching bait in the swash with a sabiki rig. Usually had more fun with the ultralight than anything else..

Best to go with someone that has a clue and see what you like before spending a ton of cash to find out it isn't your cup of tea.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK - more info!

I'd like to cast lures. I am not much of a bait fisherwoman!
I can yak the line out or swim - either way.
I will definitely lounge a bit, but I am cool with getting in the water. I love to wade fish.
My fingers are long - my hands are not big, but I can handle a conventional reel.
I'd like to catch bull reds, trout, pompano. I am not much of a shark fisher.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm learning a lot. I definitely need to take Arlon's advice and go with someone so that I can get a better feel for what I would like to buy! Thanks again. :wink:

Do you want to catch pompano or 6' sharks?
Surf rig could cover everything from ultra light and even fly all the way up to a 16/0 penn. The variety of fish in the surf has to be several orders of magnitude greater than the bay.

Do you want to cast? Lures, bait?
Do you want to swim/yak your bait out?
Do you want to stay in the water or pull up a lounge chair and sit?
Are your hands big enough to handle a large conventional reel?
etc.. etc.. You really need to narrow down your interests a little.

I always liked several rigs. A few 30lb rigs with big baits and reels with a lot of line capacity (hard for small hands to cast) for sitting and soaking. Then a "small" rod for smaller bait, lures (10' lci and 6500 ambassadeur with 15lb line). That was my "hardhead" rig. Then an ultra light (actually a flyrod with a spinning reel (6-8lb line) on it mostly for catching bait in the swash with a sabiki rig. Usually had more fun with the ultralight than anything else..

Best to go with someone that has a clue and see what you like before spending a ton of cash to find out it isn't your cup of tea.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Sounds like something on the order of a medium 8-10ft rod with an 6500 ambassadeur size reel would be perfect. Long rod helps casting and keeping the line above the waves but will get heavy after a bit of lure casting. Your longest/heaviest popping rod with a higher capacity reel would handle 90% of what you might encounter (assuming lures not bait). Worst will be when a 35lb jack grabs your spoon and heads for cuba. That's why you really need more line capacity than you typical bay reel can handle.

·
678 Posts
fish the wade gut and pinches with your present equipment
find a cheap 10 foot rod with a penn spinner to cast farther out past the wade gut.all your present lures apply in the surf to...different gear for sharks.oh yeah,and watch the dogs around there,there getting sick from playing with the dead fish caused by red tide.need help,give a shout,im down there at least twice a week.one more thing..the surf is unforgiving on reels,so find a cheap one or go with a penn spinner.i could send you a few links dedicated to surf fishing if youd like.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I like to use Abu 6500s of some type. Fav is 6500c3ct mag. i have 5 of these Abus. I use from 8' AllStar or Castaway up to a 10' from FTU. Lure weight is important...most rods are made for heavy lead weights but look at surf rods on line at Cabelas, Bass Pro or Breakaway site for lightest possible for lure slinging. You can use a lot heavier long distance gear, but will wear yourself out unless you are throwing meat with heavy weight. Also look at Floridasurffishing dot net or stripersonline dot com/surftalk for a ton on experience on surf fishing gear. They will open up a whole new world.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts