2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of heading down matagorda this friday-sunday, was looking to see if any of you gentlemen have heard/seen beach conditions and what you guys thought about the bite after all this freshwater coming in from this storm.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
\m/
1,524 Posts
you should be fine at Matagorda. we fished right after Harvey a few years ago and got on 'em. more salt at the beach than anywhere else

·
Registered
54 Posts
If we can't find good surf in Sargent, we may be scouting it out this afternoon or tomorrow. If you see us say hi. 4 guys dark gray Tacoma.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let us know how Matagorda went. I might be giving it a try also.
Beach is flat, has exposed clay in some areas not as much debris as i thought thered be. Almost all the dunes are gone.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Man I want to surf fish to. This is my first trip and people keep telling me just don’t go past three mile cut I think it is.
That is very true, but what ends up happening, is by Sunday everyone has rutted the entrance and first 3 miles of beach out. Not saying you'll for sure get stuck, but you need to be prepared to get stuck, have shovel, a good strap, bucket for water etc.

·
Green horn
8 Posts
I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I’m definitely going to bring a shovel,bucket etc. including plenty of drinking water. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Hopefully I’ll be able to pass on the favor some day sir.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
that's good stuff. of course i've been there myself. thank God for good samaritans
No doubt, I got stuck on Saturday trying to help someone else out. He got into the vegetation and sank in clay. I drove over to help at first light and drove onto quick sand, literally, QUICKSAND. Of course I didn't realize it until i stopped momentarily to switch it in reverse to back towards him and the front end of my truck sank immediately. I got out to evaluate it and the ground went completely soft and felt like I was on a giant water bed. Each step I took would send ripples in the sand, and if I stayed in the same spot for more than a few seconds I would start sinking, it was crazy. It looked completely dry till I drove onto it and water started to squeeze out and began to swallow my truck. Luckily for me/us a jeep showed up with a broken winch and the guy let us use his cable. With the cable combined with 2 straps and a come along i was able to break free and get out thanks to a friend of mines truck parked about 100 feet away. As soon as I backed out, a buddy took the strap off my truck and it started to swallow my truck again, but i was able to escape. We used the same set up to snatch the other guy out, but from a safer vantage point. After a very stressful few hours we were back on solid ground, literally. The pic is seconds after my front end sank, notice I didn't bury myself trying to get out, it simply just swallowed the front end. None of the water was there till the weight of my truck squeezed it out. Other than that it was a very fruitful weekend and my son and i caught plenty of slot reds, a couple bull reds a bunch of dink trout and only 3 hardheads.

·
Green horn
8 Posts
Thank God you got out. I’m glad y’all caught something to. Nothing like taking your family fishing. Where on the beach did this happen? Quick sand! This keeps getting better and better.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts