2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a low enough tide for lots of the old supports for the old Glveston bridge from the mainland to the island. They are on the right side of the causeway heading down to Galveston (west side). They are (or seem to be) old rock piles that have taken many of prop's, rudders and lower units from boats. There is one just south of the ICW that has damaged many boats heading to the marina south from the ICW by the causeway. The rocks are in a line (dont confuse them with the Oyster reefs if you look close you can see them. I took the pictures while driving over the causeway so they arn't the best. Last picture is showing some on the Galveston side.

Attachments

·
It ain't easy being me
612 Posts
here's what i found from the Rosenberg Library

"Wagon bridge, Galveston, Texas"
Author:
Morris, Galveston, Texas
Format:
Sepia photograph, mounted; 11.3 x 19.5 cm Description: "Wagon bridge, Galveston, Texas"
Date:
[1893 - 1900]
Terms:
Bridges - Wagon (1893); Galveston Bay
Water Lake Bridge Landscape Waterway

Sky Cloud Infrastructure Black-and-white Wood

Water Sky Lake Horizon Calm

·
Banned
1,851 Posts
last time i saw these piling bases i did a search on galveston bridges and i think the bridge that Lysse posted is the correct one, however i think there were 3 different bridges during the late 1800's. the dates i found were 1864-1906.

·
Registered
19,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Profish

Coming out of Tiki channel from the old marina they are on the left I would say they are about 100 yards to the west of the causeway. The biggest piles are on each side of the ICW north and south. They have got many of lower units. I am told these supports were for an old original one way wagon bridge back in the 1800's. I havent really checked. These were way before the now railroad bridge.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
They are from the wagon bridge and spaced about 40' apart . You can see them on Google Earth . They are diffrent sizes I'd say some are 6' x 30' , some are much bigger. If you hit one it will not move . It appears a couple may have actually turned a little , not sure if they tried to remove them and gave up or the 1900 storm shifted them some .

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.