2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
PDiddy
1,828 Posts
Gary said:
Soon Ill be able to run whenever I feel like it! :D
Changing jobs? Retiring? Quitting? Or are you about to start a hobby store that will have its own track? :bounce:

PD2:cool:

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PD2 said:
Changing jobs? Retiring? Quitting? Or are you about to start a hobby store that will have its own track? :bounce:

Ill have the slot car track permantly set up and I will also have an indoor offroad track for the Micro-Ts. :D Might have it all done this weekend.

·
PDiddy
1,828 Posts
Gary said:
Ill have the slot car track permantly set up and I will also have an indoor offroad track for the Micro-Ts. :D Might have it all done this weekend.
Really?!? VERY nice Gary! The indoor offroad track for the Micro-T ought to be about the size of a 1/32 scale slot car track so I could see that working. In fact, check this out:

http://www.magracing.co.uk/index.html

Mag-steer Racing - the next evolution that bring R/C AND slot car racing together! Watch the video there - amazing stuff! Grant it, the guy is currently looking for someone to help him out by funding all the tooling and manufacturering of it, but look at - it works!

Actually guys, Gary has been racing the slot cars for over 3 weeks so that breaks that rule of thumb.....people can change and so can Gary. LOL!

·
PDiddy
1,828 Posts
justinspeed79 said:
The next evolution? I had tracks just like that 15-20 years ago.....
Tell me more. Do you have pics? What was it? Slotless tracks? If so, I've seen those - those still require rails in the track and power being applied to the track set itself. I'm interested in hearing more Justin.

·
Registered
966 Posts
PD2 said:
Tell me more. Do you have pics? What was it? Slotless tracks? If so, I've seen those - those still require rails in the track and power being applied to the track set itself. I'm interested in hearing more Justin.

The slotless ones with the rails in them were called TCR, or Total Control Racing. Tyco and a few other companies made them. I had those too, but those arent the ones I was refering to.

I can't think of the name of the company now, but the ones I am talking about were basically fully proportional R/C cars, but the track had a guide wire on both sides so the cars couldn't go off of the track. The track itself was rubber if I remember correctly. No rails, no grooves, except for the ones the guide wire went in right next to the edge of the track. The guide wire was like an RC receiver antenna, you just pushed it into the grooves. They were 1/32 scale I beleive, and the ones I had were GTP style cars. They worked almost identical to the ones you posted, but these didn't need "turning points", they had proportional steering at all times. The track I had was fairly small. But there was a shop not far from where I lived that had a huge track setup fot them. I never saw it in person, but the guy who ran the sports card shop near my house was into it, and he had pictures of it on the wall. He also sold the starter set in his shop. I also saw them on QVC once. I'll see if I can find some more info and pics of them.

·
PDiddy
1,828 Posts
justinspeed79 said:
The slotless ones with the rails in them were called TCR, or Total Control Racing. Tyco and a few other companies made them. I had those too, but those arent the ones I was refering to.

I can't think of the name of the company now, but the ones I am talking about were basically fully proportional R/C cars, but the track had a guide wire on both sides so the cars couldn't go off of the track. The track itself was rubber if I remember correctly. No rails, no grooves, except for the ones the guide wire went in right next to the edge of the track. The guide wire was like an RC receiver antenna, you just pushed it into the grooves. They were 1/32 scale I beleive, and the ones I had were GTP style cars. They worked almost identical to the ones you posted, but these didn't need "turning points", they had proportional steering at all times. The track I had was fairly small. But there was a shop not far from where I lived that had a huge track setup fot them. I never saw it in person, but the guy who ran the sports card shop near my house was into it, and he had pictures of it on the wall. He also sold the starter set in his shop. I also saw them on QVC once. I'll see if I can find some more info and pics of them.
Now that is VERY interesting! I'd definitely be interested in hearing more or definitely getting a name of who made this setup. If it has been done in the past, obviously it did not catch on as a big hit and died pretty quick.

The other systems that are coming out still use a slot but its a technology that always puts your car in the best line on the track. If you are racing someone into a curve and your car's nose is in front, there are some sort of switches that keep your car on the best line while your opponent gets switched to the outside slot line. Not as controllable and to many people they can get confused really quickly since their car suddenly goes some place where they were not driving it for. At any rate, this R/C type system was to be an answer for that best line driving slot car system.

Thanks for sharing Justin! I hope you find out more.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the slot car track up and running yesterday. I have a little more detail work to do yet though. I should have that and the Micro-T track finished today after work. :D

·
Registered
966 Posts
Paul, I spent a couple hours searching the net last night for any info on these things. I can't find anything. I wish I could remember tne name of the company or something, but nothing comes to mind. Found some interesting stuff about slot cars though. I had to stop looking, because I was getting VERY tempted to start buying stuff lol... The last thing I need right now is another hobby lol... I am going to look again, if I find anything I will let you know. Ask some of your slot car racing buddies about it, I'm sure someone must remember them. I don't think they ever got really popular, but it seems like someone would at least remember seeing them. It was the early 90's when I had them. Wow, I can't beleive that was that long ago... I feel old!

·
PDiddy
1,828 Posts
Gary said:
Got the slot car track up and running yesterday. I have a little more detail work to do yet though. I should have that and the Micro-T track finished today after work. :D
PICS! Need pics! Let's see the permanent setup bro! And yes I wanna see the Micro-T track too.

·
PDiddy
1,828 Posts
justinspeed79 said:
Paul, I spent a couple hours searching the net last night for any info on these things. I can't find anything. I wish I could remember tne name of the company or something, but nothing comes to mind. Found some interesting stuff about slot cars though. I had to stop looking, because I was getting VERY tempted to start buying stuff lol... The last thing I need right now is another hobby lol... I am going to look again, if I find anything I will let you know. Ask some of your slot car racing buddies about it, I'm sure someone must remember them. I don't think they ever got really popular, but it seems like someone would at least remember seeing them. It was the early 90's when I had them. Wow, I can't beleive that was that long ago... I feel old!
I'm kind of surprised no one posted on the thread that got started with the Mag-steer racers about there being a system that was out before like it. But I'll throw up a post about what you mentioned so far. Thanks for trying to look around and find that info - I appreciate it.

The slot car hobby and racing has been fun - grant it, not as fun as R/C was for me, but it definitely is better than no racing at all. Plus it has been a way for my daughter and I to do something together. She liked the R/C's but was frustrated to easily with learning how to drive them - maybe later she will calm down enough to learn. I know she used to like coming to the track, but of course that could have been because she liked the little playground at Pearland. HA!

Thanks again Justin!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts