2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my truck got fixed (again)this time it was the alternator, and I was bound and determined to wet a line somewhere. After reading Vince's reports all week (Galveston Daily News) it seemed like Beachfront was where the action was, so I asked hubby for a kitchen pass for Sunday, and to my surprise it was granted! My regular fishing partner was in far NW Houston for his first actual drill, so he couldn't be with me this trip. I loaded my truck and packed some sandwiches and drinks and headed out.
Stopped on Grand Ave. and bought some (supposedly) fresh dead micro shrimp.. never do that again.. for $2.00 a lb.
I could have gotten a better quality at a better price had I taken the time to drive to Seabrook. Anyway, I wanted it to try and catch some cutbait.
Started heading down 146 toward 45 mulling over whether I wanted to make the detour to Boyd's for some live shrimp, and finally decided against it. I had the cast net so I figured I would just use whatever I could catch instead.
Stopped at the marshes and to my surprise ended up with about a pint of shrimp and some nice finger mullet!!
Headed south again, and when I crested the hill at 61st and Seawall... eeewwwww!!! Man was it windy, muddy, rough surf!!
Decided what the heck, I'm here now.. stubourn idiot that I am tried anyway. Went to the rock groin in front of the Commador hotel... surfers EVERYWHERE!! Every cast got drug out to sea from the rip currents, and it wasn't long before the lifeguards and sheriffs were all converging on my little rock groin to help save some kids that got pushed too far out and way to close to the end of the rocks! Very dangerous situation. The seaweed was real thick too and every time I reeled in to recast I had about 5 pounds of seaweed to clean off. I finally said forget this and packed it up to head for more protected waters.
I ended up at the ferry landing and it looked alot calmer. Baited up and threw out, one rod rigged for bottom, and the other with a popping cork... lots of bait stealers in the area. nobody seemed to want the mullet, tried shrimp, live and dead, did better with the dead micro shrimp then anything else. I was dragging a dead shrimp on the bottom slowly, and tap tap tap... then all the sudden my line got real heavy. I figured I had a big crab. kept reeling at a steady pace when low and behold I see this HUGE white belly, I though "oh great, I got a stingray" but when it flipped over I saw the biggest flounder I have EVER laid eyes on on the end of my line!! I kept tension on the line and stepped back to grab my net. Moving down the rocks with the net in one hand and the rod in the other I wasn't able to keep tension on the line and guess what... FLIP and I watched in horror as my HUGE flounder went home. :eek: :( :cry: (My best guess was it was between 25 and 27 inches in length and at least 18" across)
I lost another one at the net slightly smaller then the first and that was all the action I had for the day.
I finally gave in to being whooped again by the fish at about 7 pm and called it a day.
I threw some soft plastics out there too, but no takers on them either. Seems all they want right now are shrimp. The lady at the bait shop told me the shrimp are real scarce right now, could this be the reason the fish want them so bad?

Kay :cool:

·
What was I supposed to Member??
2,873 Posts
oh kay! i can just feel your pain! man, i hate to hear you lost that flattie! do you know what happened? did your line break? she spit the hook? not to worry though, she will be back, even bigger, and i hope it happens during the flounder tournament! LOL

trudy

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
That's a heart-breaker of a story, Kay! After reading that I'm in a bad mood that will last the rest of the day. :( Good thing Pam is about to go on one of her shopping expeditions. If she was going to be home I'd wind up in the dawg house for sure. I was already pouting about having another trip to the beach get blown/rained out.

I admire your determination, kiddo. Never give up. You will get another shot at some big flounder before this year is up. They have been catching some BIG ones lately and this time of year they don't normally run that big.

Better luck next time!

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I know what happened!

My netman AKA usual fishing partner was at his weekend drill instead of fishing with his mama and netting my fish! LOL
As I said, it happened as I was reeling in, and didn't realy feel a strike or anything. The line just got real heavy all the sudden, like a big crab had latched on, so big number one mistake was not trying to set the hook! STUPID ME!
I kept tension on the line after I saw what it was, and stepped back to get my net. Keeping tension on the line with the rod in one hand and net in the other while trying to walk down the rock was impossible, it gave her the slack she needed to flip and spit the hook in my face. Looks like I'm gonna have to learn to net with my toes or something. It's been so long since I had to fish by myself I have forgotten how I used to do it!

Sure didn't mean to put you in a bad mood Jack. I was trying to look at the bright side of things actually. You see, I'm not entered in the STAR Tournament, so the way I see it, I lost nothing more then a fish yesterday. (actually 2) and what would have been a really good dinner. I ended up making pasta instead.
I sure hope this coming weekend isn't windy with rough surf!! I wanna catch some fish, learn some things from you folks in the know, and I sure don't want any sand in my eggs!!! LMAO! Jack, you might wanna think about wearing some steel toed boots.. I hear Baxter is coming... LMAO!

Kay:cool:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Kay

I feel you pain! If it were me, it would bother me for years! Did you put your hook back in the spot where it got off? Sounds like it never really took the hook! Guess that's why I like flounder so much. THEY CAN BE TRICKY!

Better luck next time!

Kim

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I tried.

I originally ALMOST caught it and lost it between 2 and 2:30... I didn't give up and leave till 7 pm... LOL I'm thick headed, it takes me awhile to realize I've been beaten.

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Naw, Kay I was just speaking figuratively, I'm not really in a bad mood. I had so much fun getting everything together yesterday that I'm still buzzin' from that and the now pointless excitement of anticipating a day on the beach and even maybe catchin' a fish or two. I'm keeping myself busy with a couple of honey-doos Pam left me with and I'm workin' in my fishin' room/fortress of solitude so I'm doin' okay. Plus I can always come in here and hang with my friends. ;)

I share your hopes for this weekend but being realistic, and judging by the last 2 MONTHS, it will likely be more of the same. What it is, it is and I'll make the best of it!

I have acquired me a brand new pair of flip-flops and I will keep them away from Baxter if I can. But he liked those old blue ones so much that I'm bringin' 'em with me and I will give them to him. That way he will always have the smell and taste of my feet to remind him of me. Aaarrrggghhhh! Ain't ya glad you wazn't born a dog! Whew-eee! Anyway, it'll be good to see that pup again and I only hope he remembers me.

Lookin' forward to seein' y'all on the beach!

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah well THIS TIME I won't forget the tent stakes!!! LMAO!!

Kay

Ok, NOW I'm sick!! I just looked up the Texas state record for flounder and it's 28 " 13 lbs. caught 2/18/76 in Sabine Lake!!
Somewhere out there near the Ferry Landing there is a possible (by fall probable) new state record swimming around! AHHHHH!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
That's A Terrible Feeling...

In my life, flounder have given me my biggest headaches. Several have taken the bait, fights real hard, comes to the surface with both eyes staring at me, then opens their mouth and the hook just pops out and the fish laughs as she slowly swims back down.

Another time I cast out a mudminnow and set my R&R down believing nothing would hit it in the few seconds I need to walk over and pick up my towel (or something) and I hear commotion behind me only to turn around to see my R&R doing a one and a half pike twist with full gainer (scoring a perfect 10) right into the water. I start to freak as my rod butt has just enough cork to have 5 inches of it sticking out of the water going in an 8 foot diameter circle ten feet from the pier. Fortunately, I lasso'd it with my other R&R. Saved the Rod and Reel but lost the biggo flattie. Sometimes it makes one want to seriously take up GIGGING! CF?:headknock

·
Premium Member
40,480 Posts
Leave my flounder alone..

I have her sitting out there getting big and fat and ready for the tourny so I can win. I only want one fish.......................................................

A REALLY BIG FISH!

Just kidding

I want 2 big fish.
And would it be too much to ask if one of them had a "TAG" attached..??

Oh well, better luck next time.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Kay,

maybe you should quit fishing until the day of the tourney and leave that big one out there! Last year the day before the tournement, I weighed in a 5 lb. 6 oz. flounder! Would have taken second place if I could have caught it the next day! Oh, why can I never catch the big ones when it really counts?

Hey Jack, I noticed how you carefully chose your words! Just had to say flip flops when everyone knows they were thongs! LOL!

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies..

CF? I want to try gigging, I have never been and it looks like fun. I think I'm gonna invent a hook with a mousetrap like deal on it so when a flounder bites it snaps shut on it's mouth and holds that booger securely on your line till you can land it! I bet that would be a fantastic seller! (provided it worked that is)

Bill, I hear ya on the big fish wish. I say that little prayer every time I go fishing.
"Please Lord, let me catch just one, just one really great fish" LOL I think I need to change it a bit to reflect catch and LAND the really great fish.

Reel Woman, quit fishing till the tournament? AHHHHH!!! It can's be done, unless of course this tournament is tomorrow.:) When is this tournament anyway? And is it only for flounder or?? I'm sorry, I don't know anything about it. Can you fill me in? I've never fished in a tournament before. It' sounds like fun though.

·
2,873 Posts
kay, that mouse trap contraption idea is hillarious! i can just picture that. put me first in line for one when you get it figured out! i love to fish, but flounder are my passion. it always amazes me when someone tells me they dont like fishing for flounder because there is nothing to it, no challenge, just too easy. YEAH RIGHT! LOL it usually feels like some kind of miracle for me when i actually do land a big one! i am looking foreword to having you around during the flounder run this year. as for the tournament, im going to let kim fill you in on the details, im not sure of the dates and details yet. i can tell you one thing, last year....the women won! now you may here some debate on that, but look at the bottom line, you'll see. :p LOL

trudy

·
Registered
663 Posts
Kay

The SCA tourney is set for Nov. 13 at the Galveston Yacht Basin. Right now, we are working out the details and should make the final announcement in appr. late July. It will be a flounder only tournament!

It will be alot of fun so please make sure to mark your calendar! Last year, the ladies overall average weight was appr. 1 lb. greater than the guys! We will of course give the wossies a chance to reclaim the title but, I doubt that will happen!

Kim

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Billystix Wants Some Opf The Action

Hi (gulls)
Please Keep Me Posted On The Flounder Tournament!!!
I Really Have A Great Thing In The Back Of This Ole Sick Mind,when Is The Flounder Tournament??
Ladies (gulls)
Stix

Attachments

·
Twisted Fisher
279 Posts
Flounder Tourney

Okay "Reel" Woman.........You're going to be eating that S.M.A.C.K. on the 13th. Remember, I didn't fish last year, and this tournament is the day before my B-Day.....Be Afraid!!! Time for the Guys to unite!

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hold up there Gunner!

I happen to know right where a BIG FAT one is parked, and hopefully she's too fat to move and swim away under her own power (LMAO) so I plan on going right back there and pickin her up for the tourney! The gals have it beat HANDS DOWN! (Well, the guys' hands will be down anyway while the gals are all ^5in each other):D

Sounds like fun! Hope I learn to actually LAND a fish by then! LMAO!!

·
2,873 Posts
not to worry kay, i have a feelin you are going to catch on to that flounder thang really quick! no doubt in my mind. and beside, look how many " teachers" LOL you will have volunteering to get you out there LOL

trudy

·
Registered
663 Posts
The day before your birthday Mark?

That makes it even better! I'll bet you're at "Saint Mattress" during this tourney! Us ladies won't be worrying about YOU as far as competition that day!

You guys will get spanked again this year!

Billy, keep in touch with me on the tourney. All details (including rules, etc.) should be finalized near the end of July. SCA is really looking forward to hosting this tourney and I know it will be an awful lot of fun for everyone! Well, at the end of the day, the guys may not be having as much fun as the ladies though!

Kim

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
I bet that big flattie spit your hook and went straight down and burrowed again. I am glad it was you and not me. If it was me, I'd probably still be there singin' "Here Fishie, fishie.."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts