2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
The Lord Loves a Drinking Man
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and a buddy decided to head to POC Sunday morning and go to Falcon for some overnight fishing. We got the boat in the water at 2pm and were greated with the anticipated 2-3 foot seas. From there on, conditions only got better. As we made it out to Falcon, it was one foot seas with an occasional 2-3 foot rolling swell. This is/was our first overnight trip as we are both fairly new to offshore fishing and my 23' Triton doesn't have the range for floater trips. We threw over a chum bag and started jigging. All we caught were Amberjack's. But we did catch some nice one's and these were the first AJ's either of us had ever caught. Caught them on diamond jigs for the most part. We decided to try for some bait and ended up getting some hardtails and sending to the botton to see if any grouper were around or bigger AJ's. Caught a small yellowfin tuna doing that. So thought we'd try again. My buddy drops a half of a hard tail down to the bottom and is using an Avet Jx with a hopper rod. He gets a hit and sets the hook. An hour and half later (and after handing me the rod 15 minutes into it) we pull up what we think was a ~150lb shark. Not a shark expert, but seemed to me to be a bullshark. By this time, it was getting really late, so my buddy took a nap and I had a few more beers. Started to get light around 6-6:30 and my buddy was still sleeping so I started a troll and woke my buddy up to the sound of screaming drag. Ended up catching a few more yellowfin in the 15-20lb range and a couple of blackfin as well. Then headed back in and home to Austin. Long couple of days, but had never caught an Amberjack or a yellowfin tuna and certainly never caught a shark of that size and definitely not on a jigging rod. Anyway, thought I'd share a fishing story for the winter since not many are getting out. Pics will come as soon as my buddy sends them to me.

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
I sure would like to see the pics of the yellowfin.

·
5,886 Posts
Did they look like this one???? This one was 33.10 Pounds. :biggrin:

Attachments

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,427 Posts
Did they look like this one???? This one was 33.10 Pounds. :biggrin:
That's funny. I remember hearing some kid telling his parents (they didn't look like they had done much fishing around here and they didn't speak English well) they had just caught a tuna. From a pier. In Seabrook. They seemed to believe him, too, and took it home. It was a large Jack, at least 25 pounds. They seemed so proud as they were leaving that I just didn't have the heart to tell them what it really was. Then I figured that some things are just better if they're found out on your own.

Good report. I look forward to seeing the pictures. I have had to fish vicariously through this board for a while, so a simple story just doesn't satisfy that itch right now. Of course, nothing will until I can get out there myself, but pictures of others seems to help for a few minutes.

·
5,886 Posts
I sold plenty of them "Tuna" to people off the pier at the TC Dike when I was a teenager. LOL!!

That's funny. I remember hearing some kid telling his parents (they didn't look like they had done much fishing around here and they didn't speak English well) they had just caught a tuna. From a pier. In Seabrook. They seemed to believe him, too, and took it home. They seemed so proud as they were leaving that I just didn't have the heart to tell them what it really was. Some things are just better if they're found out on your own.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts