2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to put some bf goodrich all terrains (285 75R17) on my 04 chevy suburban and i was wondering if anyone has done anything to boost the performance of their chevrolet 5.3 liter V8. I was thinking about putting a power chip in it to correct the MPH and also maybe boost the performance.

Does anyone have any advice? Maybe a new air filter or something cheap, or the power chip?

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
1,800 Posts
I have a '03 Z71 (same engine, etc). I added a Flex-a-lite dual 15" electric fan system to replace the clutch fan. That made a HUGE difference, espicially on hot days when you can feel the clutch fan dragging onyour engine. I also added a K&N FIPKII cold air intake and that did make a difference, but made the engine noise louder (not a bad loud though). I changed all oils to synthetic and noticed a definite MPG gain (and probably a very small HP gain).

Although the biggest thing I'd worry about with large tires is you axle ratio. Some of the suburbans come with a 3.43 vs. a 3:73 vs. a 4:10. the higher the ratio, the more low end tourque you'll have to play with (BTW, that's where there is the least of it on the 5.3 engine).

Good luck!

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I agree with flymn on the fans. That will give you more power than you will feel out of any of the addons. The next biggest power addon would be a complete exhaust, headers to tailpipe. Add to that the power programmer and you are good to go.

A good fan system will be around $700 for a good fitting one that looks "OEM"
Programmer $3-400
Exhaust complete $1000

529 Posts
Argo is right open the exhaust...talk to Larry at Island Muffler he's a "pro" he can remove the stock muffler and the resonator and let that puppy breathe ! And install a custom exhaust system and he is very reasonable...tell him Andy in the Yellow Aztec sent ya...he did my exhaust and wow !!

·
Banned
1,800 Posts
The Flex-a-Lite version went for $400-$450 from Summit Racing. BTW, Flex-a-lite has an excellent tech support department. Also, I don't know if they've started shipping with heavier guage wiring, but, I had to up the guage 1 level due to the heat here in H-Town.

Also, like Argo says, the breathing of the engine is very important. If you're looking at the headers, etc. Take a look at the different superchargers out there. Paxton, etc. have some nice ones for this engine and run from $3k - $4k. But, will REALLY kickup the HP. Of course, then time to look at the tranny... It's a never ending cycle!

·
Registered
108 Posts
The best way to get more out of most engines:

1. Good oil - synthetic (oil and filter) - cheap start.
2. Intake - Just a K&N filter really does not add much. Look for a full intake replacement instead of just a filter.
3. Exhaust - you can do a full exhaust including headers, but you can start w/ just a cat-back exhaust.

For reference, I upgraded a LS1 5.7 engine and got the following:
Intake - about 10-12 HP
Exhaust - about 15 HP This was just a cat-back.

Full exhaust would add another 20-30 on top of the cat-back. You would ideally need the CPM tuned after a full exhaust. A good tune at a performance shop would run at minimum $400.

The LS1 already has the electric fans - so this might be a good first step for the 5.3.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, I really want a better exhaust system but I don't want it to sound loud at all, I like how quiet the factory set up is

·
That DamnYankee!!
4,076 Posts
Look at the Gibson cat back systems, they are slightly louder then factory but not near as loud as flowmasters & some of the others.

Jeff

529 Posts
Hey guy Larry can install a single- in dual- out quiet muffler too...had one on my 2001 Aztec, it gave me the extra hp and the quiet sound.Tell him you want an older style suburban muffler he will know...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts