2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alreight fellas and gals, I am tired or replacing the bulbs in my trailer. Everytime I go to the coast I have to swap out the 2 main bulbs (1157) in my trailer. I've been told to unplug your lights when backing in the water but that just ain't gonna happen. I remember all the way to the boat ramp then forget then go buy new bulbs. What are you guys using for trailer lights? LED? Which ones? Can you give me a make and model?

Thanks

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
The best way is the Trouthunter way. Wire and rig lights on PVC and then stick them in your rodholders or wire and rig the lights on clamps. You can then use them for any trailer you got. Basically about 25-30 foot of wire to lay the length of the boat and plug into your truck. All above water, rolled up and stored in your toolbox when you aint using them and in case you ever have to tow anythign that dont have lights.

·
Just a Member
126 Posts
BigDaddyAngler said:
Alreight fellas and gals, I am tired or replacing the bulbs in my trailer. Everytime I go to the coast I have to swap out the 2 main bulbs (1157) in my trailer. I've been told to unplug your lights when backing in the water but that just ain't gonna happen. I remember all the way to the boat ramp then forget then go buy new bulbs. What are you guys using for trailer lights? LED? Which ones? Can you give me a make and model?

Thanks
Hey BigDaddy, Buy cheap and replace often! LOL :idea:

·
Big Daddy's Custom Rods & Norton Lures
1,066 Posts
I rigged my trailer early last year with LED lights! It was money well spent.

Cant remember the brand name. Bass Pro Shops carries everything that you would need to rewire your trailer. They have them listed on there web site.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really? I don't like the removable light idea so much. I like the clean look. So is there no other solution? What about those waterproof lights? Are they really waterproof? The problem is that water gets in the bulb itself and shorts out my lights.

·
Just a Member
126 Posts
trailer lights

I rigged my trailer early last year with LED lights! It was money well spent.
BigDaddy I put a set of these LED's on my trailer this year also, they look water tight but haven't had em on long enough to judge em yet! I bought mine at WalMart but pricey, I think about 50 bucks, came with wiring harness that I didn't need though. :brew:

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
Last tiem we replace trailer light we noticed two different types at WalMart.

Water Resistant, and WATER PROOF

The water proff lights have a sealed light packet within the bigger lense covered unit. They were about twice the price of the resistant lights, but worked until we got rid of that boat. Our current boat has the same lights, and we've had no troubles.

We never unplug b4 backing down either.

·
Fishing from a paddle boat...
3,275 Posts
What size is your boat/trailer? If it not already too wide, add guide posts (uprights) behind the wheels - about 1'-2' above the top of the gunnels - mount the lights on the top of the bumpers - This way they will never go under water - and the guide posts will make it easer to get the boat on the trailer in the wind.

My .02

Jerry

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just bought a set of LED waterproof, Lifetime Warranty lamps from Academy. These are the square ones that replace the standard, 2-bolt trailer lights. They ran $45.00 for the set, and you had better save that receipt for your warranty. Haven't installed yet, so can't comment.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
LED's the best money I've spent on my boat so far. You can get the side marker lights at auto zone for $6.00

·
Registered
144 Posts
Trailer lights

Trailer lights are the biggest pain in the neck!! I've been kicking around the LED thing for a while now but haven't jumped on board....yet.

Questions: Do you have to re-wire the trailer and do you need a special adapter to plug into the truck?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
nope they hook up just like the old ones. Whats also nice about them is they still work even when the wires start to corrode up since they need such little power to run. I replaced my side markers with leds when I bought my boat and had to swap out my tail light bulbs 2 times before I decided to finally shell out the money for the led tail lights. The side markers are still running strong. Its worth $50 to get rid of the headache of messing with your tail lights before each trip.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I have had my trailer for over a year now with many splashes and no bulbs out (knock knock). They are the square waterproof kind. They came on the trailer but they look like the kind you get at academy or walmart.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Am I The Only One Left On This Board Who Hasn't Lost His Speel=Check?

Watertight integrity can never be found at the bottom of a bottle containing schnopze. Unless, of course, you're me.... Buy two flashlights and spray-paint the lenses red and either have your younger brother (or son) hold them while you back-down the ramp or attach them with duct tape to the sides of the outboard couling. Unplug the D___ connection before you back down. Jeez! Love you, Bro. CF? ;)

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
Not sure..

I'm the second owner on this rig. I got it last year and had to replace one of the bulbs. So i'm guessin 3yrs. It's an '00 model and i'm not sure as to how much the trailer was used. They work well though. They take the 836200 wesbar waterproof bulb capsule replacements
http://www.sportsmantrailers.com/lights.htm
--Hop

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I was going through the normal ones about every 4 or 5 trips to POC.

·
Freelance Gynocolgist
727 Posts
LOL I've got one of both! So far I have not seen a difference, but its only been 4mos since I put the one LED on.

I feel yo pain dude, keeping my boat in Galveston outside right on side of the galv channel I had to replace my one of my lights at least 3 times a year. I have since moved and in turn wanted to try out the LED lights, so when one light went bad I put on the LED about 4 months ago. Still running strong but so is the other reg lowprofile light that has been on forabout 1 yr now when I re rigged the whole trailer. So if you see a 21' or so bayboat with one LED light on drivers side and one reg light on right thats me!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts