2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

stupid question

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  mudd_catt 
#1 ·
Does the absense of all the "old" posts mean that they are lost and gone forever? There was a lot of good stuff on the board, and I hopd Mont can find it where ever it is and restore it someday....

#3 ·
as of this morning, we finally got the sequence of events clearly established that allowed for the crash. Now that I know how it was done, I have put preventive measures in place to stop it next time. Also, I failed to run backups (about once a week) for the last few months, which is completely my fault. Had I had a good backup, restoration would have been easy. We now have backups firing off every 4 days, so at most we might lose 4 days if we got hit again. Now that this is behind me, I have received generous offers to attempt to repair the database that went bad from some real sharp folks. Next week, I plan to let them take a look under the hood and see if anything can be salvaged. If it can, I will open a set of archive (can only read, but not post) with the old database. My server is also now running automated tape backups, once a week. Due to the sheer coincidence of multiple things happening all at once, we took a header. But, that shouldn't happen again, and if it does, we have multiple ways to restore the boards and move on. Today is the first day I have gotten more than a couple hours of sleep, and I am heading to the beach with the kids to kick back with a bunch from TTMB that are going down for the weekend. When I get back on course Monday, I plan to finish the boards up, and then work on the old database to see what can be done with it.

#7 ·
Nope!

And I qoute "Nothing electronic or electrical that malfunctions can be blamed on the operator/owner, unless said owner/operator has been witnessed and photographed holding the sledgehammer in mid-swing" I don't remember the name of the officer who said this, but I do remember that it was said by a LT. Colonel (sp/) in the USAF in 1990 to a class of novice electronics students in Biloxi MS (I was one of them).

So, don't blame yourself for being human, Just please put the hammer down. LOL

#8 ·
I'd also like to express my sincere thanks to you for providing us with a place to get together and talk fishing. I do not "blame" you (Mont) for the loss of the old messages. I appreciate all your hard work in maintaining the site, and for doing your best to put the message boards back in business as quickly as you have following "the crash" or whatever it was... where I work, we focus a lot of attention on "lessons learned" from our experience and the experiences of others. I suppose there are a few lessons to be learned from this experience too, but I'll let you be the judge of that. My only regret would stem from the loss of access to the old messages. If you can do a "read only" archive, then the information isn't lost at all, and that would be a very good thing. If not, then your tape back-up will save a lot of trouble in the event that something like this were to happen again.... whatever it was that happened...

Again, you have my thanks and respect for all that you do. Far too often the Webmaster works much harder than most people know, with little or no recognition when things go well, but they are taken to task in times like these... from what I can see, you have the support of everyone who visits the site.... and that is a rare thing on Internet message boards these days... Three cheers for Mont....

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.