2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a buddy to my "lease" out of San Marcos, on the Blanco River, to get him some deer. We get in the stand about 4pm and not long after someone starts shooting a pistol down the in river behind my stand.

Nobody is supposed to be hunting or shooting on that property. The owner of that property owns the place I hunt and he didn't want anybody shooting on that side of the river. He had to go through a closed but unlocked gate to get in there.

So I grab my rifle and go investigate. I see some dumb arse standing next to an Isuzu, reloading his pistol while his two dogs are running around.

I hollar to him, "hey numb nutz, you're trespassing and you best get the he!! outta here pronto". He yells back at me, "I'm not trespassing, this river belongs to the people. You need to get a life".

Oh really? I yell back, "those are bold words for someone standing squarely in the crosshairs of my .270. You best get going. The police have already been called and are on their way". At which point he high tails it.

I had called the sheriff's office (where I work) but nobody was available. All units were tied up on calls. But he didn't know that.

Where do these idiots get off with this mentality? Their audacity. I'm amazed. If I was some hillbilly, cedar chopper I could have blown him and his dogs into scorched earth. Idiots.

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
some people just dont think... that being said, why would you confront a man who has a gun? especially since you were obviously carrying a rifle and were either pointing at him or saying you would point at him. should have just called the police and scoped him while he got busted.

·
Banned
8,277 Posts
You BS'd him but he ruined your hunt, now who is the winner, if you knew you were right you should have shot his tires out--since you had him in the crosshairs. rs

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
I am sure you got his lic plate and description of vehicle to give to the law. You can be the complainant on the trespassing. You are the witness.

Charlie

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
some people just dont think... that being said, why would you confront a man who has a gun? especially since you were obviously carrying a rifle and were either pointing at him or saying you would point at him. should have just called the police and scoped him while he got busted.
Well first of all he had a pistol and I was 100 or so yards away. Secondly, I was completely camo'd and no way he could see me. Thirdly, as a police officer I often confront people with guns. And lastly, as I said in the original post, I called my office but all officers were tied up.

Now, to make matters more complicated the man who owns the property lives in Dallas and he would have to be the complainant for the trespassing charge, which he isn't going to do.

My goal was to scare the guy off so we could resume hunting, which I accomplished.

The point of the post was to demonstrate how totally stupid some people are. To trespass in the middle of deer season and to be smart arsed with an armed person, that you can't see, but clearly sees you. You got a pistol and he's got scoped rifle.....hmmm, not smart.

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You BS'd him but he ruined your hunt, now who is the winner, if you knew you were right you should have shot his tires out--since you had him in the crosshairs. rs
Actually, I BS'd him out of there and we resumed hunting. 20 minutes later we had deer at the feeder and we left there with nice fat doe.

Why would I shoot his tires out when all I wanted was the jerk to leave? The owner of the property is a developer and won't prosecute because he doesn't have time to get tied up in court. BSing him out of there was the best option.

Now, If he'd been on my side of the river, where I have a written lease, then I could have had him arrested.

·
Banned
8,277 Posts
Now, to make matters more complicated the man who owns the property lives in Dallas and he would have to be the complainant for the trespassing charge, which he isn't going to do.

There is your problem, the man that leased you the property to hunt, aint gonna do squat, where is your complaint? Put a lock on the gate, will he give you that much authority? I hate a trespasser more than most, but it sounds like you are between a rock and somebody's friends, just sayin. rs

·
Mike
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is your problem, the man that leased you the property to hunt, aint gonna do squat, where is your complaint? Put a lock on the gate, will he give you that much authority? I hate a trespasser more than most, but it sounds like you are between a rock and somebody's friends, just sayin. rs
While there's one owner the property is split by the river. On my side I have a lease but the river is the boundary. The other side is gated, fenced and posted but the owner won't lock it because he has surveyors and so forth coming and going. All I can do with trespassers on that side is run them off. I just don't understand where these people get off thinking that trespassing is ok. And then being argumentative when told to leave. They ought count their blessings that they aren't going to jail.

·
Banned
8,277 Posts
You are in a tough spot Pirate, I have always said realtors are the biggest poachers, good luck bud--call the owner and express your concerns. rs

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
Another Monday morning quarterback.

It seems like on threads like this that it is a race to bring up a perceived wrong, whether it be morally, ethically, legally, etc. so you can come across as some how better/smarter than the original poster. And or to stir the pot. Same type of thing as the Jr. game warden syndrome. Sorry for veering from the topic, but this gets old.

And why did he confront the man with a gun? Because his was bigger

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Another Monday morning quarterback.

It seems like on threads like this that it is a race to bring up a perceived wrong, whether it be morally, ethically, legally, etc. so you can come across as some how better/smarter than the original poster. And or to stir the pot. Same type of thing as the Jr. game warden syndrome. Sorry for veering from the topic, but this gets old.

And why did he confront the man with a gun? Because his was bigger
x2

·
100% BS
7,120 Posts
While there's one owner the property is split by the river. On my side I have a lease but the river is the boundary. The other side is gated, fenced and posted but the owner won't lock it because he has surveyors and so forth coming and going. All I can do with trespassers on that side is run them off. I just don't understand where these people get off thinking that trespassing is ok. And then being argumentative when told to leave. They ought count their blessings that they aren't going to jail.
Just another dumazz. The world is full of them.

·
To Endeavor to Persevere
8,868 Posts
Simple enough...put your own chain and lock on the gap when you're hunting on the other side of the river and remove it when you leave!

Obviously the guy didn't just drive down the road till he found an unlocked lifetime gate to drive through to shoot his pistol...somebody told him he could!

·
W.W.
7,397 Posts
Who is the owners agent? this could be you and you would have all the authority needed to file any charges, both my dad n I carry a note from the landowner to be the 'owners agents'....WW

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I hate trespassers just as much as the next person, but the most rediculous thing to do is go around pointing guns at each other or THREATENING to do so....

You were not in danger.... call the police or gw and let them handle it.

Is it really worth somebody dying over? Really????

·
DS1262
2,137 Posts
I hate trespassers just as much as the next person, but the most rediculous thing to do is go around pointing guns at each other or THREATENING to do so....

You were not in danger.... call the police or gw and let them handle it.

Is it really worth somebody dying over? Really????
I guess we should just all give up our property and property rights anytime some dumbarse decides to take them. HUH? If it takes pointing a gun at some idiot to protect my property or rights, them I'm going to be pointing that gun. The trespasser has already made the decision of what his life is worth. Most trespassers are not some innocent, lost person looking for directions. They have made a conscious decision to violate someone else's rights.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I guess we should just all give up our property and property rights anytime some dumbarse decides to take them. HUH? If it takes pointing a gun at some idiot to protect my property or rights, them I'm going to be pointing that gun. The trespasser has already made the decision of what his life is worth. Most trespassers are not some innocent, lost person looking for directions. They have made a conscious decision to violate someone else's rights.
So you would kill someone because they are shooting a pistol into the river, with their 2 dogs running around, have no idea you are there and are not even on YOUR property??

There are so many other options that its pointless to even write them down.

Its not about giving up your property rights, its about keeping a good head on your shoulders and not letting your temper get the best of you.

The guy wasnt harming the property, not stealing, etc.... he was prolly some random guy getting some shooting time in and letting his dogs run around because he prolly lives in an apartment and doesnt have a place to do so.

The gate was unlocked and for all anybody knows, somebody just told him to go down there... .but by all means, lets snipe his asss from 100 yards out and ask his corpse the questions later...

Do you know how many times I tromped around on random properties when I was growing up with my BB gun shooting at cans, trees, etc? Is that deserving of a 270 bullet to the brain??

Do I believe the guy was in the wrong for being out there? Yes

Do I believe deadly force should be used to let him know that? No

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.