2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been stung by hardheads before but they usually only hurt for about 3 hours at the most. Last nite fished High Island and was stung in the foot through my waders and fishing boots at about 3:00 AM. Its been OVER 12 hours now and it still hurts VERY bad. I can hardly walk. There is a bruise about a quarter size. Is there something I should be worried about or that I can do to get rid of the pain? I cleaned it with alcohol twice.

PS caught 2 bull reds 44" 46", one keeper black drum 23", lots of croakers and hardheads. wind was gusting 15-25

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
I got one in July that hurt for 2 weeks. You can spray throat medicine or use oragel on it. Other than that Aleeve and time. I know its not the answer you wanted..but thats all Ive got for ya........later,Dave

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Try alternating heat and ice and try and keep it elevated. Hope it's better soon.
What kind of wading boots do you have, by the way?

·
Registered
10,344 Posts
If you were wading, could it have been a ray? If it seems to be getting worse, I'd seek med. care.

·
Registered
17,210 Posts
I had a friend that got stuck by one in the same area. After 24 hours he had to go to the Doc. Foot Swelled up real big and he ended up haveing surgery. Because part of the fin had broke off in his foot and got infected. DON GO TO THE DOC.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Dude....

Gary said:
Go to the Doctor. Now, just in case.
...I totally agree with Gary. Even w/o insurance, a doctor's visit and a shot or Rx of antibiotic will cost around $100 bucks. Better safe then sorry.

I got hit hard in the hand one time, and it hurt like hell for a few hours.
I recommend Dr. Jack Daniels. He works wonders for pain, but you should also see a doctor just to be on the safe side.

Get Better Soon.........Q

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kenny said:
What kind of wading boots do you have, by the way?
i was wearing hodgeman waders and shimano neoprene boots. it went through both. Im convered under my dad's insurance so thats not the problem. the problem is that no doctor will see me cuz its 5:00 on a friday. hopefully, i can get seen tomorrow. Also, it was a hardhead because i saw it. Def. was not a ray.

BTW, what is vibrio infection? any info or sites that can help. Google is giving me all sorts of different sites of different vibrio diseases from food contamination to freshwater infections to warm seawater infections. The saltwater vibrio sounds pretty scary but it was freeeeezing last night. what are my chances of contracting vibrio?

thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Its a flesh eating bactiria. We have people here in Texas die froom it this year. It took one guy 2 days to goto the doctor and he lost his whole leg and died 1 month later...........later,Dave

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
what in the world?

maybe the vibro has already set in his brain......I dont' think this is Don the hardheaded one..........?!?

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
Nope! Don Pulumbo is not 24 years old. Check the profile...

·
Tight Lines, CaptDoug
2,022 Posts
Don P. (The origional Hardheaded one) Just wishes he was 24 y.o. LoL!! He hasn't seen 24 in quite a while!

The new HardHead! Dude we already have a Hardhead on this board, and believe me one is enough! LoL!! You might want to consider another handle! And yes you definetly need to go see a doctor. Vibro has hit several of our friends and has done lots of damage. Seek medical attention ASAP!!

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
LOL! CaptDoug! I concur about HH!

Is it possible that part of the barb may have broke off in his foot. Even with that said, Vibrio would be enough reason for me to be in the ER, letting them know what happened and saying the word every 2 seconds, and encouraging them to check that first.

Not something to mess around about!

Rick

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
I nearly lost a finger to one of those buggers! The point of one of the fins broke off in the first joint in my left index finger and I got a monster infection. If I'd wated another 4 hours to seek medical attention (according to the doc) I'd have lost the finger.

GO TO THE DOCTOR! ASAP!!

Please let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
I almost lost my LIFE to fish poisoning. In 1999 in was a deckhand on the Gulf Eagle, to make along story short....I looked at my chest in the shower and noticed a maroon line running from my wrist to the middle of my chest. I called the girlfriend (out with friends, it was spring break) to take me to North Bay Hospital in Aransas Pass. Once there the doc said by morning I coulda been dead or on my death bed. Four hours later and 3 holes in my arm (stupid nurse couldnt use an I.V) I wwent home and slept till work time............later,Dave

1 - 20 of 40 Posts